precision artillery (amazing accuracy for the military buffs)

Sam1

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to put that in perspective (and someone correct me if my math is wrong) but one MOA would be roughly 76.2 meters at 30KM  so that would be accuracy of around .015 MOA.  Got to love cannon launched guided munitions.

I think it is a little more precise than .015 MOA. Still working on the calculations but it seems like it is a bit smaller making it even more amazing.

Guest 6.8 AR

to put that in perspective (and someone correct me if my math is wrong) but one MOA would be roughly 76.2 meters at 30KM  so that would be accuracy of around .015 MOA.  Got to love cannon launched guided munitions.

Your shots would be that good if you had a guidance system attached. Instead of minute of angle, aren't we really

talking circular error of probability(CEP) and accuracy of the guidance device? And can you compare the two?

That weapon system is awesome, though. I wonder what each round costs? $100K? I know the complete system

cost is unmentionable.

When I was overseas they had mortars that worked similarly. The guy I was talking to said they would plug the GPS into the warhead then shoot the mortor as high as they could in the direction of the target and it would guide itself back down. Something else I never knew we had until I was over their was laser guided mortars. They worked pretty much the same way except they guided themselves towards a parget that was laser designated.

Can't wait for the first FO to write his initials in the side of an Afghan mountain using 105 rounds.

Excalibur is only 155. Rounds cost something stupid like $300K (Or used to), its capable of hitting a 5-10 meter radius at 40k.

When I was overseas they had mortars that worked similarly. The guy I was talking to said they would plug the GPS into the warhead then shoot the mortor as high as they could in the direction of the target and it would guide itself back down. Something else I never knew we had until I was over their was laser guided mortars. They worked pretty much the same way except they guided themselves towards a parget that was laser designated.

Right before I got out they were testing the mortar version of Excalibur. I don't believe it's the same program or company as excal is but it's the same basic idea.