Best/favorite job you have ever had?

Guest Keal G Seo

Guest Keal G Seo

Just a discussion. I'd like to know what your job paths have been, from first to current, and which you enjoyed the most, which you loathed the most, and why. Here are mine:

Ranch Hand
Kroger
Kmart
Hardees
Diesel Mechanic
Greens Keeper and Small Engine Mechanic
Call Center Operator

My least favorite by far was the call center operator. The reason is that it was for insurance and I couldn't stand to be the person answering questions about what a person was and wasn't covered for. Telling parent's their kids weren't covered for dialysis because end stage renal failure wasn't covered...I'd rather be the guy in human resources that fires everyone.

My favorite though is a toss up between the ranch hand and greens keeper. I liked the ranch because we set our own hours, except during calving season, and got to ride horses and quads all the time. It was also in Montana so the weather was great for me working outdoors, it was never hot and the year I was up there winter wasn't too harsh. The greens keeper and small engine mechanic was also great because it was so easy. Good equipment that rarely ever broke down and I got the company card to go buy the right parts so we didn't do slap dash jobs. The rest of the time was riding on a lawn mower with the smell of fresh cut grass and occasionally the tractor to aerate and rake sand traps. Easy money, :)

While we are at it lets throw in a hypothetical: If you could make 100k a year doing any job you want, what would you pick? Has to be a real job, not just something like oxygen consumer. lol

I think mine right now would be Gunsmith, I just don't have the knowledge to do it yet. Working on it though. I have been learning and working on more common firearms for friends and family for a few years now but would like to learn some rarer stuff and more technical tasks.

I worked as a ranch hand/bushhogger for several summers during my teens.  It was good money for a kid but hard work.  I learned quite a bit about labor, but I don't see myself enjoying doing that again.  Not that it wasn't good work, just not something I found to be fun or satisfying.

My favorite job was working as a server in a restaurant.  Money was great for my age and I worked with mostly hot college chicks.  We didn't have any other male servers at the restaurant, so I spent a year with unlimited tail from coworkers and customers and partied every night.  It was how I defined my college years.

A dream job for me would be opening my own tactical training center with a focus on leadership development of leaf eaters.  There is a meat eating decision maker in everyone, and it is awesome to see it come out when you force it out. 

Guest The Itis

My favorite job was what I had in high school. This was in Hawaii. I was an auto carrier, where the job consisted of driving brand new cars from the piers to the dealerships.

Group of us would hop into a van, go to the pier, get into a car, and just meet up at the destination. Rinse, repeat.

I drove all sorts of cars, as well as some nice personal vehicles for military members shipping their cars. Drove anything from Prius' to dually trucks, nicest cars I drove were a Roush Mustang that was literally across Oahu, and a Hummer H3 when they were new.

Got a really serious left arm tan. It also paid more than most of my other jobs since the cost of living is so high in Hawaii.

Edited by The Itis
My favorite job has to be my current one. I am a wound care and hyperbaric oxygen nurse. I get to see all the blood and guts and cool stuff a guy could ever want to see. I see tiny wounds less than the size of pencil top eraser all the way up to large wounds you can literally put your arm in (and I have). I work awesome hours Monday through Friday from 8:00-4:30, no nights, no weekends, no on-call, and get paid holidays. They offer insurance, education reimbursement, paid time off, and match my 401k contributions up to 3%. I stay busy, but I never dread going into work because I have a great set of coworkers. Plus, it's close to home and pays well.
As a teenager, I drove a snow plow in the winter, and cruised around on a Skag mower during the rest of the year.

As an adult, I worked for my Father at his moving company. When he decided to sell, I went to work for one of the major Van Lines. I also repaired and re-lined chimneys during this time.

I then decided to obtain my CDL and become the awesome steering wheel holder I am today. I spent the first year or so driving over the road, but I've been local with my current company for the last 10 1/2 years. If this is what I have to do, there's no other company I'd rather work for.
Edited by TripleDigitRide

Best/favorite job I have ever had?

- Anytime I had a 1SG or CSM working with me!  :tough:

Job which I loathed the most?

- Army Staff, The Pentagon.  :yuck:  

Edited by DMark

Best/favorite job I have ever had?

Anytime I had a 1SG or CSM working with me!

Hmmm, I remember my time working with the CSM and that was like being a battered wife. Always scraping and bowing, not knowing whether to expect praise for good work or a beating due the sins of another.
  • Like 1
Current job is the best one, IT infrastructure support, we've got a big enough scope of work that I can bounce around on details working forensics or security or network hardware and not be tied down to a single area.

Once I finish with the masters though I'm gonna try to transfer to communications security only. Edited by Sam1

Well for me, having a 1SG or CSM around meant I was in command.

Sort of like there are two types of general officers - - - those with bands and those who want bands (only commanding generals have bands). 

Well for me, having a 1SG or CSM around meant I was in command.

Sort of like there are two types of general officers - - - those with bands and those who want bands (only commanding generals have bands).

Ha, well from the perspective of enlisted swine it is much, much different. BTW, I'm assuming you were Cav. If you were in charge of a FOB, would you play your unit's song over the loudspeaker every morning at 0800? It has happened with a Cav unit, and one of the more bizarre things I've seen Fobbits do downrange.

Land manager/general hand on a ranch

Retail sales

Government sales

tank mechanic

construction

I like the sales.  One day you're in a store the next I'm out talking to private security, police, or military.  Working on a tank is also pretty fun too.

I'm assuming you were Cav..... 

Yup.

7th, 17th, and 6th United States Cavalry Regiments.

Also...,

325th Airborne Infantry Regiment.

And.......,

82nd, 229th, 101st Aviation Regiments.

Edited by DMark

Not many jobs that I liked. ;) There was the tour as a SERE Inst. in the 90's when I was still in the Navy which turned out to be the best/most fun tour . My current job beats them all, a stay at home dad with a almost 7 y/o son. That beats any and all of my past life experiences!

I am having an early midlife wth lately. At 37 i am a business analyst at a big company, have been an it manager and director at a couple of smaller companies and in it for about 15 years now. If i had to pick a fav job it would be when i was a pm at hca. Great folks and a fun job i was doing at the time. I am now wondering if i want to do it anymore. Would love to move into a sales or marketing role. Actually i would love to be the newest member of the mountain men tv show
Guest 6.8 AR

My first job. A hardware store that had everything from guns to screwdrivers and everything in between. I put stuff

together when it came in and played with everything in that place. The people who work for Lowe's don't have a clue

compared to what a real hardware store looks like. It's ashamed most of them are gone.

I laid sod at a golf course in Arkansas one summer, that was probably the best job I've ever had. I currently buy shoes for a living... could be worse, I know. I truly regret not lying to each and every recruiter I talked to coming out of high school about my asthma (d@&# asthma). That probably would have been a good move for me. But the past isn't something you can change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in the auto finance business for a number of years.  For a majority of that, I worked for Chrysler.  Not particuarly fond of the brand, but it was a great company to work for, at least on the financial side.  Lots of paid holidays, great vacation, made pretty good money, liked everybody I worked with.

Back in 2007 I worked at Carmax of Intl Mall in Miami, Florida. The shop was completely closed up and had A/C with automatic opening doors(timed motion sensor), the break room had a foosball table and a pingpong table and ice cream vending machine. When we completed our work for the day we BSed around in the backlot with all the whole sale cars, got to drive a 2007 Corvette ZO6, 2006 Porsche Carrera 911 S, 2005 Landrover LR3(I think that was the model, all I know is it had a $67k price tag, lol.), and one of my favorites to drive was the 2004 VW R32 as it was heavily  On Friday's they used the area I worked in for a wholesale auction so they told us to go piddle for about an hour and to check back after the hour was up. Not to mention I made $13.25 an hour and they encouraged us to work on our days off, I saw $1200 pay checks on average, twas the most cush job for the money I've ever had and was my first job in the auto industry.

Chef of the Gallery Restaurant at Bandon Dunes Golf Resort. The job was amazing but living in a town of 1800 people was hard on me at the time. I thought I needed to live in a city so I moved to Chicago, where I experienced the worst year of my life. I like my current job and TN is nice...but I would move back to Bandon in a heartbeat. Luckily I still have great friends who live there so I can visit any time I want.