Hiker kills charging bear with AK-74

Guest confidence

I was just reading some of the comments on the article.  I just love how people that don't know what they're talking about always seem to be compelled to offer an opinion on something.

Edited by robbiev

If I'm not mistaken, don't those rounds tips collapse in due to an air pocket to mimic a hollow point or tumble but still be legal in Geneva/whichever one it was convention terms?

I read that the manufacturing process leaves a hollow cavity in the tip of the bullet somehow producing a yaw or tumbling when it enters flesh.

I think I would still prefer a bigger bullet when faced with a bear though.

You dump enough rounds into something and it will go down. It didn't say how many he had used so that is left to speculation. He was using a 5.45 and he killed a bear with it, we know that and if he was using a AK74 he more than likely had a 30round mag or maybe even possibly an RPK mag, did he perform a mag change, who knows. Bear is dead and 5.45 brought it down. If he was using the Russian surplus stuff we've been getting that is 7N6 ammo, which is capable of penetrating 6mm of steel at 300m. The rounds performance speaks for itself.

This article says that he shot 13 rounds from about 25 feet away.

http://www.adn.com/2013/07/30/2999719/troopers-determine-bear-killing.html

If I'm not mistaken, don't those rounds tips collapse in due to an air pocket to mimic a hollow point or tumble but still be legal in Geneva/whichever one it was convention terms?

The 7N6 does, they eliminated that on the next generation of cartridge. 7N6 is the surplus stuff with the red band around the casing neck.

Ah, arigato.

Well it doesn't say how many misses or how many shots he got in the vitals, I still wouldn't want to rely on 13 shots to take a charging bear down.

There's an interesting article in the July G&A from Craig Boddington about cartridges he advises for North American game, he says a .30 caliber is the absolute minimum he would use for brown and grizzly bear. He advises a .250 grain bullet in a .338 but that's hunting ranges out to 200+ yards.

He had another article in the August issue where he hunted in the Philippines and had to use the rifles that the hunting camp had, the most practical rifle they offered was an old M-14, he and his hunting partners killed several water buffalo and hogs with it. He said they double tapped the buffalo but they pretty much went down where they stood but that was in jungle just a few yards away.

Here you go, those look like at least .308 sized projectiles;-)

A tank is just a big rifle, right? Anyway, this is my weapon of choice when dealing with a charging bear.

Those are actually 3/4" tungsten carbide shot. iirc there's about 1000 of them in the shell, they were awesome for clearing an entire house with one bang in Bosnia

Those are actually 3/4" tungsten carbide shot. iirc there's about 1000 of them in the shell, they were awesome for clearing an entire house with one bang in Bosnia

You would know that no one is in the house because there is no house left to hide in:-)

That is one nasty weapon!