flip up sights

Guest ochretoe

Guest ochretoe

I just got my first AR 15 build complet-ish.  It is a flat top with quad rails, 1/8 twist chrome lined 16" barrel. Now I need get some sights and or optics.  Who likes what flip up sights and why?  I will most likely add a light scope or aim point in the near future and that is why I am looking for flip ups now.  Thanks for the help. 

I have the Magpul MBUS rear sights on all my rifles. I buy them because they're light, cheap, and they work. I might get something a little better if I ever actually shot with irons. I don't. They're strictly for backup.

There's a little more to the selection of a front sight. The Magpul won't work on a railed gas block. It's too low, and it will melt. There are a few metal flipup sights that are designed for gas block mounting. I have a couple. One is from Midwest Industries, and I don't recall who made the other. I do have one rifle with an MBUS front sight that's mounted on a Daniel Defense railed handguard.

Optics... most folks settle on Eotech, Aimpoint, or one of the many cheaper Chinese sights. I have all three, but I'm an Eotech guy. There are threads out there that deal with the Eotech vs. Aimpoint selection. There is no consensus. I'm not a big fan of the Chinese sights, but they'll work well, even for years until you can drag up the money for a quality optic.

• Like 1
It depends. I run Magpul BUIS simply because they're a backup. If I ran irons only I'd run some metal from someone like Troy or another reputable company. As far as optics, again I say it depends on how you use your gun. If it's going to be a range gun (like most of mine) I personally think it's crazy to run a $500 red dot. On my AR pistol I run a Primary Arms M3 clone, and it's been great for me. On my rifle, I run a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 on a Burris PEPR mount. If you have money to blow, by all means buy whatever optic you want, but to me unless you're going to combat/using in the field it's overkill. Most will disagree
  • Like 1

The Chinese optics are perfect for range toys. I have a Primary Arms M3 on one rifle, and an Aimpoint COMPML3 on another. It's hard to tell them apart at a glance. About the only difference is that the Aimpoint will get brighter. Both come on, and both hold zero. BUT... if something ever comes up where I have to DEPEND on the rifle, I'll grab the one with the Aimpoint (out of those two).

I don't put backup sights on a rifle with a real scope. They just get in the way.

EDIT: BTW, I bought my Aimpoint from Primary Arms. I'm guessing the owner runs an Aimpoint or Eotech on his go-to rifle. He didn't tell me that... just a guess.

Edited by mikegideon

I too use Magpul flip ups as a backup system. I like the spring loaded flip up. But I rarely use them except to make sure they're still sighted in. I have a vortex Strikefire red dot that I use mostly

I'm helping a friend with his first build right now, and that's exactly what we're putting on his rifle. PA M3 is out of stock.

Magpul BUIS are hard to beat for the money, I haven't noticed any difference in either durability or accuracy between them or more expensive steel/alloy Troy's, AIM, etc flip-ups that I own.

Anyway for optics I run Eotech on my serious stuff, I do however like Aimpoints the battery life on them is amazing, but I'm quicker on target, especially moving targets with Eotechs so that is what I use.

I just keep a few (dozen) spare lithium CR123's on hand, the increase in preformance due to the 65MOA outer-ring is worth it IMHO.

If you decide to go with a light magnification scope I'd suggest taking a look at Millet DMS 1-4x24mm, iffin you can find one in stock that is.
I use the Magpul MBUS (front and rear), mainly because they work and are less expensive than other options. If you decide to go this route, be sure not to get scammed into buying the cheap PTS versions. Those are for Airsoft, but they still have the Magpul name.
Edited by TripleDigitRide

Same as many of the above, I use the Magpul BUIS as backups and an Aimpoint M68 red dot. I have a Nikon P238 (I think) fixed 3X should the need arise.

I have the El Cheapo Chinese Amazon.com $40.00 red dot on my HD Remington 870 that seems to be working fine at the moment, as long as I don't pump to many practice rounds through it. My AR-15 set up is for when you really wished you had listened to your inner self and was paying attention to what was going on in this country. A little training and plinking is fun now and then too!

Yeah, I have Magpul polymer rear sights on all three AR rifles as backups, but also use it as primary on my AR pistol, about as "violent" a config there is, and it's been fine so far.

Also use both rear and front ones on .22lr upper, front one on a "fake" railed gas block, no real heat involved. The front polymer sight does use steel mil spec adjustable riser, btw.

Magpul is also now producing all steel sights, for more bucks of course.

http://store.magpul.com/category/44

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Another Magpul BUIS user.  I have the rear on both of my AR rifles and the front sight on my mid-length upper.  I was very pleased with the Magpul when I used it in conjunction with the A2 front sight on the carbine upper.  I run an Aimpoint PRO on one and I have an EoTech on the way for the other rifle.  Both of those rifles have 16 inch barrels, so I don't see a need for an actual scope.  If I ever get to finish my varmint upper, I'll likely use one of the Nikon 223 scopes to start with and change it should I find I need something better.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot
I bought a set of Pro Mag BUIS for my first AR. I didn't know much about anything AR at the time. Shortly after I learned that the Pro Mag AR mags were not Pmags, and started to question the quality of my flip ups made by them. This was three years ago. Never had an issue with them until three weeks ago. I let my friend shoot the rifle and after he emptied the mag, he turned to walk toward me and I saw something fall to the ground. It was the rear sight. I couldn't believe it. It was like it exploded, but nothing comes anywhere near contacting it. I'm sure they have some sort of warranty, but it would drive me crazy worrying about the quality, since your buis are what you depend on working when all else fails. Big deal for a range gun? Probably not, but I will be buying Troy or MI next time.
  • Like 1

I bought a set of Pro Mag BUIS for my first AR. I didn't know much about anything AR at the time. Shortly after I learned that the Pro Mag AR mags were not Pmags, and started to question the quality of my flip ups made by them. This was three years ago. Never had an issue with them until three weeks ago. I let my friend shoot the rifle and after he emptied the mag, he turned to walk toward me and I saw something fall to the ground. It was the rear sight. I couldn't believe it. It was like it exploded, but nothing comes anywhere near contacting it. I'm sure they have some sort of warranty, but it would drive me crazy worrying about the quality, since your buis are what you depend on working when all else fails. Big deal for a range gun? Probably not, but I will be buying Troy or MI next time.

Can't go wrong with either my friend. ;)