Was this legit?

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

I have not met a Game Warden, Fed or Park Ranger who was not serious about the Wildlife and laws they enforce. I know they do it legitimately to protect populations, weed out those who violate wildlife, hunting and fishing regs for those who do it legally and legitimately.

In this case, these people were illegally holding wildlife, getting ready to move the animal across state lines, and on top of that, if by law it were required to be released back into the wild, they had been hand feeding it, so it had no chance of survival.

I think they did the right thing, and saying they were empathetic and they probably were, they would not have been forced into this situation if the do gooders would have left the wildlife alone and let nature take its course.

What do you all think? Legit action by DNR  or as the people with good intentions but bad ideas say "came in like a SWAT team and executed a "baby deer". They could have at least used the proper term.

http://www.businessinsider.com/wisconsin-state-agents-killed-a-fawn-2013-8

Those who broke he law should foot the bill for the raid and all related expenses. They should also be charged criminally for the laws they broke as well as the laws they conspired to break by transporting wildlife across state lines.

The shelter is the one responsible for causing the raid not the officers.

Once again lets let emotion dictate law.

And don't get me wrong, I am a die hard animal lover. With that I will say that humans, even those with good intentions, cause more damage to animals than animals can cause to themselves.
It seems like they could have just walked into the shelter and asked as opposed to all the production. I mean, they used a helicopter to recon whether or not there was indeed a fawn there. Why not just go to the shelter, tell them what the deal is and take the animal?
  • Like 5
  • Moderators

It seems like they could have just walked into the shelter and asked as opposed to all the production. I mean, they used a helicopter to recon whether or not there was indeed a fawn there. Why not just go to the shelter, tell them what the deal is and take the animal?

If you have a SWAT team, you need to justify its existence by using it.
  • Like 1

If you have a SWAT team, you need to justify its existence by using it.

That is sort of what I was thinking as well, there really is no "reasonable justification" that I can think of to go stormtroopering into an animal shelter after an abandoned/rescued fawn.

Helicopter?? haha ... you're so old fashioned ... the only way it was a helicopter was if it was a helicopter drone ... other wise, I'm going with standard drone

heli-drone_zpsd0d11559.jpg

Guest TankerHC

When the new FAA law was passed recently, it allowed for drones for domestic LEO use. But it also allowed for domestic civilian use. Legally, you can now build, buy and fly your own drone. So, dont like them having drones, get your own drone.

Your can get your domestic civilian drone for 80 bucks, with camera...Or you

http://www.amazon.com/Badboy-Quadcopter-Camera-Arrival--QuadCopterCity/dp/B00AZEALUK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1375848976&sr=8-4&keywords=Drone

Or you can get your even better domestic drone for 7 or 800 bucks.......

http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-Aerial-Drone-Quadcopter/dp/B00AGOSQI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375848976&sr=8-1&keywords=Drone

DRONES FOR EVERYBODY!  The Government needs to start issuing Drone Stamps.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/175-4095677-2715326?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Drone

Im using my drone to hunt for bigfeets.....

Exactly. one unarmed guy could have sauntered in and checked it out, without the Gestapo tactics. Did they think the folks at the shelter were gonna put up armed resistance? Gimme a break.

I would have fired somebody for it, if for no other reason than spending all the time, manpower and money on it, not to mention unnecessarily endangering life with all the guns around, and the terrible PR.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
Guest TankerHC

Had to do a little investigating. Wasnt too hard.

They didnt send in a swat team. The press is reporting what the man and woman at the shelter said "They came in LIKE a SWAT team". I guess SWAT teams dont carry semi auto rifles because these men only had their standard issue sidearm.

Two people called them and reported the deer, and that the deer had chronic wasting disease. Chronic wasting disease has been found in 17 States.

Wisconsin and Ill State and Federal law classifies capturing wild animals and moving them to rehabilitation facilities without a permit a felony. It is also against Wisconsin and Ill State and Federal law to transport wild animals across state lines.

The Fawn was not killed and thrown over a deputies shoulder. The fawn was picked up by a deputy, carried to a lab, ALIVE, then euthanized. (What were they supposed to do, set it free with chronic wasting disease?)

The people at the shelter KNEW they were committing a felony and taking a chance on spreading chronic wasting disease. The reason two HONEST CITIZENS turned them in was because they were trying to make it happen before DNR found out. They had no permits, and nothing was SET UP LEGALLY, because there are no permits to do what they wanted to do. There is only one thing to do when a deer is found sick. And they did it. The reason for the no notice, was because they were going to do it before they could hide the deer and get it over state lines. The Sheriff made it simple "If your doing a drug raid do you call he drug dealers and let them know your coming and ask how much weed they have?". In this scenario these people, committing and conspiring to commit felonies, and put deer populations at risk, are no better than poachers, or drug dealers. Fortunately two honest citizens took action. The DNR contacted the Shelter and ASKED them to comply with state and Federal law. They refused.

The entire story being reported all over the news, I found at least 30 articles on it, before checking locally, is a lie.

BTW, the Dept of wildlife, Federal and State Fish and Game, etc..have been using aerial mounted cameras years before the rest of Uncle Sam got into the business on a large scale.

There are lots of LEO incidents that are not defensible, this aint one of them. I would like to see the hunter that would agree that hiding a wild animal and transporting it across state lines, illegally, knowing your doing it illegally, with a deer that was sick, is an OK thing. 

"Last week our warden staff had the difficult and emotional job of removing a fawn that was illegally taken out of the wild and into captivity. None of our staff take joy in these situations. The department does the best it can to educate the public about keeping wild animals in the wild. In the end, we are charged by the citizens of Wisconsin to carry out state laws mandated by the legislature. It is a responsibility we take very seriously. We don’t have the ability to pick and choose which laws to enforce. Wardens did request voluntary compliance from the facility. When that didn't happen, our staff took precautions to keep everyone safe as they executed the required search warrant. We are always very empathetic to those involved in these situations and understand how difficult they are to all who are involved."

Edited by TankerHC

They didnt send in a swat team. The press is reporting what the man and woman at the shelter said "They came in LIKE a SWAT team". I guess SWAT teams dont carry semi auto rifles because these men only had their standard issue sidearm.

Two people called them and reported the deer, and that the deer had chronic wasting disease. Chronic wasting disease has been found in 17 States.

Wisconsin and Ill State and Federal law classifies capturing wild animals and moving them to rehabilitation facilities without a permit a felony. It is also against Wisconsin and Ill State and Federal law to transport wild animals across state lines.

The Fawn was not killed and thrown over a deputies shoulder. The fawn was picked up by a deputy, carried to a lab, ALIVE, then euthanized. (What were they supposed to do, set it free with chronic wasting disease?)

The people at the shelter KNEW they were committing a felony and taking a chance on spreading chronic wasting disease. The reason two HONEST CITIZENS turned them in was because they were trying to make it happen before DNR found out. They had no permits, and nothing was SET UP LEGALLY, because there are no permits to do what they wanted to do. There is only one thing to do when a deer is found sick. And they did it. The reason for the no notice, was because they were going to do it before they could hide the deer and get it over state lines. The Sheriff made it simple "If your doing a drug raid do you call he drug dealers and let them know your coming and ask how much weed they have?". In this scenario these people, committing and conspiring to commit felonies, and put deer populations at risk, are no better than poachers, or drug dealers. Fortunately two honest citizens took action. The DNR contacted the Shelter and ASKED them to comply with state and Federal law. They refused.

The entire story being reported all over the news, I found at least 30 articles on it, before checking locally, is a lie.

BTW, the Dept of wildlife, Federal and State Fish and Game, etc..have been using aerial mounted cameras years before the rest of Uncle Sam got into the business on a large scale.

There are lots of LEO incidents that are not defensible, this aint one of them. I would like to see the hunter that would agree that hiding a wild animal and transporting it across state lines, illegally, knowing your doing it illegally, with a deer that was sick, is an OK thing.

"Last week our warden staff had the difficult and emotional job of removing a fawn that was illegally taken out of the wild and into captivity. None of our staff take joy in these situations. The department does the best it can to educate the public about keeping wild animals in the wild. In the end, we are charged by the citizens of Wisconsin to carry out state laws mandated by the legislature. It is a responsibility we take very seriously. We don’t have the ability to pick and choose which laws to enforce. Wardens did request voluntary compliance from the facility. When that didn't happen, our staff took precautions to keep everyone safe as they executed the required search warrant. We are always very empathetic to those involved in these situations and understand how difficult they are to all who are involved."

I'm not saying they were wrong or anything for enforcing the law, it just seems a bit excessive and unnecessary. The recon by helicopter really stood out to me because of the amount of resources they would have to spend in order to loiter a helicopter for an extended period of time to catch them letting this animal out. I doubt the people at the shelter were acting with any sort of malice, unless there is something I don't know... maybe they were starting a fawn fighting ring? I just think that this is a case where an officer could go in, tell them the situation and take the animal. I doubt they would argue if they knew they'd be facing felony charges otherwise.

When they didn't comply it took the incident to a whole other level. At that point I have zero issue using helicopters to recon as well as doing what is necessary to safeguard the officers. When people refuse a request by LE it is hard to know their intentions and at that point the shelter personnel must have known they were looking at felony charges. People do strange things when they are facing jail time, especially serious jail time. They are criminals that were committing felonies, nothing less, and should have been treated as such.

I hope they toss every charge they can at these people. They refused LE but they were likely going to let a young fawn slowly die over a period of weeks or months. And finally there is the potential for human and animal populations to become sick and DIE. Chronic Wasting Disease is fatal in humans and it can be passed from deer to humans. It takes months and years to slowly die in humans.

But your version isn't sensational and exciting.

I picture it like this.

NSFW, there is a bad word on this picture

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx153/romad7/bad23a169a54a3f9ce01d967b7a9bd02.jpg