CZ-75 type pistols

Guest The Itis

Guest The Itis

I'm interested in getting a CZ-75 type of pistol (9mm), and the question when there are a bunch of clones of a particular gun is, are any of the clones actually better than the original? Also in terms of price, are some clones more cost effective (e.g. dramatic price decrease with little loss of feature/quality)?

Has the CZ-75 design been improved on by any of the clones? Baby Eagles, maybe? What about the EAA stuff? I've read a bunch and it seems they are all good guns, which only makes the decision harder.

Any information, personal experiences, etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Moderators

My vote would be a CZ P-01. I had one, and it was great. Admittedly, I probably should not have gotten rid of it, but I never shot it because I loved it so much. I shot my Glock more, thus I sold the CZ and got another Glock so I could have standard magazines/accessories/etc.

But, you cannot go wrong with a CZ P-01. One thing I got rid of it for though was that holsters were a bit harder to find than for a Glock. HighNoonHolsters makes good holsters for  the CZ, but I wanted one with room for a flashlight. Those are a dime a dozen when you have a Glock.

Many of the clones are excellent and mechanically just as good as the real thing. None have improved on the original.  Baby Eagles are excellent guns but they dispensed with traditional CZ grip "form" for lack of a better term for one slightly more traditional.

I have a TZ 75 from Tanfoglio and I will not sell it! It has excellent balance, shoots like a dream, is very accurate and all steel. I have had it for at least 10 years and it still is my "go to" 9mm.........EAA makes great pistols as well.....just my :2cents:  

I think the Sphinx and a couple other that are Sphinx clones are generally considered better than the CZ. The price will reflect that, if you can find one.

The EAA (depending) are more than acceptable. I know there were some quality issues with some of the earlier 10mm slide assemblies.

I have a Jericho Compact (Baby Eagle) which is a clone of the Tanfoglio. It is a very accurate, light recoiling gun for something the size of a Glock 19.

I like my Jericho, and carry it often, but it won't supplant my Glock 19 as my main carry. The Glock is lighter, carries better, has a higher capacity and no manual safety lever to worry with.

Guest The Itis

I have a TZ 75 from Tanfoglio and I will not sell it! It has excellent balance, shoots like a dream, is very accurate and all steel. I have had it for at least 10 years and it still is my "go to" 9mm.........EAA makes great pistols as well.....just my :2cents:  

After reading this and this: http://www.chuckhawks.com/tz-75.htm

I'm practically sold :)

I'll have to get my hands on a baby eagle to see if the changed grip is better for me. Would love to say I have a beagle :P

There are quite a few CZ 75D's (aka "PCR") around right now in the $550-$600 range. Fine pistols. Same as the P-01 but without the rail. None of the clones are better but some, as mentioned, are equals. I don't consider the Jericho a clone. So far as the new clones are concerned, I've heard good opinions about the Canik's (spelling?) but mixed reviews about the other Turkish clones. I have a CZ 75 BD police. If I had to do it over again, I'd get an SP-01 Tactical simply for the rail to add a little weight in the front. It feels like shooting .22 anyway and I'm not parting with the BD Police anytime soon. As the poster above me noted, the P-01 is an excellent choice too. 

Just because they are high quality doesn't mean they aren't clones. The original design was copied, by reputable companies making a product that rivals the original, but they are still clones.

Wilsons and Kimbers are still clones of Colt's 1911. 

But I understand what you mean, as clone usually implies something of dubious quality.

i have a few CZ 75s ,a  PCR and a IWI Baby Desert Eagle I got on a trade not long ago........they are all the same as far as function and mechanics ,the CZ design I read is more copied than

any other pistol made today .For me  they are my fav guns to shoot,most accurate too..I have tried lots of brands but for me they are tops in my book..

Not sure why you would want a clone when a CZ is so well priced ,i think 500-600 gets most models 

One thing to keep in mind is there are two different magazine patterns. I had several CZ 75B 16 round factory mags so I was surprised when I picked up an Armalite AR24 clone and the mags were a hair short and would not fit. Armalite, EAA, Tangfolio and most of the clone makers use the longer pattern. Also I was b y Academy sports the other day and I saw a CZ75 compact clone....I do not remember the name but it was under 400....I think 382. May be one of those in my future.

Guest ThePunisher
You can't beat the CZ's. I've got three CZ's in the CZ 85B, CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical .40 cal., and my most recent purchase is CZ 75BD Compact.
Guest The Itis

I prefer the Taurus PT92 to the Beretta, as an example of why I'm in this mindset that it is possible to prefer a cheaper but comparable clone.

It may even be the case that the CZ clones were made with the same designs or machines or sourced parts or something, just like how the PT92 used the same machines, plans, even factory and workers that made the Berettas.

On that note, I'm being tempted by a nice stainless PT92 that would max out my budget for a gun, and yes a real deal CZ-75 could be accommodated but some have said certain clones of the CZ are better, price difference notwithstanding. It becomes a no brainer if the clones are also cheaper.

One thing to keep in mind is there are two different magazine patterns. I had several CZ 75B 16 round factory mags so I was surprised when I picked up an Armalite AR24 clone and the mags were a hair short and would not fit. Armalite, EAA, Tangfolio and most of the clone makers use the longer pattern. Also I was by Academy sports the other day and I saw a CZ75 compact clone....I do not remember the name but it was under 400....I think 382. May be one of those in my future.

It was, most likely, the Canik Dolphin model. I have seen them there. http://www.guns.com/2013/01/30/tristar-arms-to-carry-full-line-of-canik-pistols/

• Like 1

the EAA witness series is as good as a CZ IMHO.   Very well put together with a tight fit and excellent accuracy and reliability.  

The witness series has an inexpensive entry model or 2 that are better deals than most of the CZ models (again, they are close enough that one is not better than the other in any significant way) so you can save $100 or so if you just want a basic pistol.   The fancy CZ models and fancy EAA models begin to drift apart in terms of what you might like, so for those, you just need to pick the one you like better (look or features), and for those, the price varies too much to compare.

Clearly the expensive $1500 or whatever it is now EAA target pistol is an improvement over the stock CZ75 for its intended purpose, so again, once you get away from the basic models, yes some of the "clones" are better.  And at some point, its not even really a clone anymore.

I've looked at a compact .45 acp clone recently and like the one EAA puts out, but only because CZ doesn't even make one.

As far as the 9mm clones go, I have read several reviews that say the Witness clones have cleaner mill work, but never read one that says they are as accurate. CZ just has the barrel mfg process down cold

Another aspect to consider is that if you think finding holsters for a CZ is hard...wait til you need a part for a Tanfoglio. Most CZ parts are NOT compatible with the clones and the custom shops that can butter-up your CZ trigger to make it feel like magic won't work on a clone.

Guest The Itis

The purpose of the gun would be for home and range, not carrying, so full size guns are the ones on my radar.

Lots of helpful information so far, thanks.

CZ SP-01.... best 9mm service-size gun made so far.  Period.

Especially if you can get a Shadow or the CZ Custom version.   :up:

my PCR (see avatar) is a custom shop gun sights,trigger work,....I can hit a dime from 50 feet   :)

Edited by SonnyCrockett

I prefer calling mine a Jericho rather than a Baby Desert Eagle.  There's nothing baby about an all-steel, exceptional work horse like my 9mm.  And it comes from Israel by people who depend upon their firearms working day in and day out.

• Like 2

CZ SP-01.... best 9mm service-size gun made so far.  Period.

Especially if you can get a Shadow or the CZ Custom version.   :up:

What a great pistol! MIne is stock and shoots like a dream. I understand they can do a trigger job to make it mo betta but mine is good right out of the box.

I have a P-01 and it is hands down my favorite gun that I have ever shot, so I'd say you can't go wrong with a CZ.  I do not have any experience with the clones.  While this is completely second hand (like I said, I have no experience with the clones), I have seen some complaints about EAA customer service.  It could just be a case where the disgruntled folks are screaming more loudly than the happy folks are, but the manufacturer's willingness to stand behind their product and manner in which they do so is part of the equation that I would consider.