Weaponlights

Can anyone school me on weaponlights?  I'm looking to put one on my 9mm AR and it's primary use will be late night varmint extermination.  It will not be used as a home defense gun.  I just put a Streamlight TLR-1 HL on my Glock and was thinking about buying another for the AR as you can put a pressure switch on this model.  I've also seen the Surefire Fury EAG? that can be used as a weaponlight now.  Anything else I should look at?  Range will be within 100 yards, but I prefer as bright as possible.  I'm looking to spend a couple hundred if need be, but don't want to spend $400 as seen on several surefire models.

Look for the streamlight protec (protac?) hl. 600 lumens and if you look you can find it for $60.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Looks good.  I wonder how it would perform mounted to an AR?  Although it will be on a 9mm with not a great deal of recoil.  At that price point, even if it didn't work out on the AR it would come in handy around camp regardless.

I generally take mine off when I target shoot just because of weight. I have shot a few hundred rounds with it on without any issues. My friend has the same one and never takes his off. He has about 500 with his on. Both guns are .223.

I got mine through Botach Tactical that came with a gg&g mount for less than $80. I got him his through amazon for $60. I also got a a streamlight 1 cell for edc and it has held up just fine bouncing around in my cargo pocket. Also picked up a 20 or so pack of streamlight cr123 batteries on Amazon for cheap too.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I just do not understand paying $200 or more for a flashlight.

Ten years ago, it cost north of $150 to get a good light, but with today's LED technology, the price is coming down.

I have an UltraFire HD 2011 that I paid $17 for and a pressure switch that cost about $4, as I recall. I use it in the Harries Technique (handheld and not mounted on a firearm), but it probably could withstand the impact forces of being mounted on a weapon. If I mounted it, I'd test it for impact reliability before using it, but for $21 out the door (or out of China, actually), it's worth checking out.

I think I bought the light and pressure switch from www.FastTech.com. You can find the HD 2011 on eBay, but I don't know if they are real or fake. Budget Light Forum (BLF) has a forum on weapon lights. You should visit there and you'll probably learn a lot.

EDITED: There a lots of other inexpensive LED lights out there, but you really don't need to pay more than $30-$90 to get one. EDITED YET AGAIN!:  Fenix is a good brand name, so is NiteCore. There are several... I just tend to stick with the even cheaper lights in the under $30 price range.

EDITED AGAIN: Forget the lumens. Companies don't measure the same way, they exaggerate, and the light might only deliver full lumens for the first 2 minutes of battery use before it starts dropping off. Instead, go to BLF and look for nighttime beamshots, so you can get a feel for how one light compares to another.

Edited by jgradyc

Can anyone school me on weaponlights?  I'm looking to put one on my 9mm AR and it's primary use will be late night varmint extermination.  It will not be used as a home defense gun.  I just put a Streamlight TLR-1 HL on my Glock and was thinking about buying another for the AR as you can put a pressure switch on this model.  I've also seen the Surefire Fury EAG? that can be used as a weaponlight now.  Anything else I should look at?  Range will be within 100 yards, but I prefer as bright as possible.  I'm looking to spend a couple hundred if need be, but don't want to spend $400 as seen on several surefire models.

Be careful  as Tennessee protects the weirdest of creatures with regulations and shooting them at night with lights may cause an issue. Do yourself a favor and maybe save some money check TN hunting regs or talk to TWRA about your "varmint" problem. Just my :2cents: !

DaveS

Surefire X300 ultra is a great weapon light. Its 500 lumens and will take a pounding, also you can pick one up at Optics Planet for $209. The pressure attachment is extra but you can get those for around $70.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/surefire-x300-ultra-led-handgun-long-gun-weaponlight-500-lumens-w-universal-moun.html

I ran a TLR-1s at 12 o'clock on my rifle before I got into NV.

The rocker switch was right where my thumb was, so if I needed it I just had to kick my thumb up and the light was on. Huge amount of light out to 100 yards, could easily ID any critters at that distance with it.

Be careful  as Tennessee protects the weirdest of creatures with regulations and shooting them at night with lights may cause an issue. Do yourself a favor and maybe save some money check TN hunting regs or talk to TWRA about your "varmint" problem. Just my :2cents: !

DaveS

I'm in Arkansas now.  All we need is a depredation permit from the AGFC and night hunting nuisance animals is allowed.

I ran a TLR-1s at 12 o'clock on my rifle before I got into NV.

The rocker switch was right where my thumb was, so if I needed it I just had to kick my thumb up and the light was on. Huge amount of light out to 100 yards, could easily ID any critters at that distance with it.

I would love to get into NV but my wallet wants me to steer clear.  I don't know much about anything NV but the PVS-14 seems to be the most highly regarded for best value.  What is your setup?

OP, think about this combination:

Surefire P2X Fury (Single output) -  $109.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/sf-p2x-a-bk-tactical.html

Combined with this mount:

http://www.gearsector.com/view/product/175/

I have this setup on my 6920, with the flashlight mounted at 10 o'clock with the flashlight's head just forward of the front sight base.  I can activate the light with the side of my left thumb against the stock pressure switch on the tailcap.  It's an easy, foolproof setup for less than $200 shipped and installed.

I like 10 o'clock as it negates any shadowing effects from the barrel.  You get the light right where you need it - your sights - and as far as I can tell, there are no trade-offs with this setup.  YMMV, of course.

OP, think about this combination:

Surefire P2X Fury (Single output) -  $109.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/sf-p2x-a-bk-tactical.html

Combined with this mount:

http://www.gearsector.com/view/product/175/

I have this setup on my 6920, with the flashlight mounted at 10 o'clock with the flashlight's head just forward of the front sight base.  I can activate the light with the side of my left thumb against the stock pressure switch on the tailcap.  It's an easy, foolproof setup for less than $200 shipped and installed.

I like 10 o'clock as it negates any shadowing effects from the barrel.  You get the light right where you need it - your sights - and as far as I can tell, there are no trade-offs with this setup.  YMMV, of course.

I'm giving the Fury some serious thought.  Does it have a twist tailcap or the clicky type though?  I know this can be switched later on regardless.

I'm giving the Fury some serious thought.  Does it have a twist tailcap or the clicky type though?  I know this can be switched later on regardless.

The single output has the twist-type as standard.  I've got it set for about an ounce or two of pressure for activation.  Works like a champ.

• Moderators

Going to give A++ +1 100% Would Purchase Again suggestions for the Surefire X300 Ultra. I too agree that you cannot have to much light for a weapon light. Once you hit it, your night vision is gone (unless you figure on training to close one eye when you use the light, then switch eyes once the light is off). Thus, you'll want as much light as you can have so that once you switch it on, you can see what you need. The other guy isn't going to be able to see a thing looking at you. I used to thing a strobe would be nice, but then testing my (unmounted from gun) X300 Ultra in the dark I decided that a strobe might not be necessary when you are looking at a theoretical 500 lumens.

For ~$200, I don't think you can beat the X300 Ultra. It's on my carry gun when I carry it, I love it that much.

I'd look around for vets that still have theirs. I have two that I got off of vet buddies, one was brand new and never mounted even had the IR filter(just a lens protector to me, HA!) and the other was a little crudtastic with that moondust of sand but I have $160 between the two.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...