Survival Store/Training in Nashville - Could it work?

Preppers are only a small part of it as I see it. There is a big lack of "community" in this neck of the woods. It's understandable since all the new mandates (not constitutional laws) set up by Home land Security. (My post just got flagged because I said Homeland security) I propose face to face meetings with like minded people who are concerned with their loss of freedoms. That's where the storefront comes in. A face to face gathering of cautious citizens. We need to know that we're not alone. I also propose a means of communicating other than cell phones or the internet. if there was a member within say ten miles of another  simple 30 mile range walki talkies with a scramble feature always set on the groups channel could be a way of spreading the word throughout the community. I'll bet that in a group of 30  , twenty live that close and the others could be informed face to face by their nearest fellow member. I'm not being paranoid I'm trying to get people who can depend on each other together.

I'm a woodworker trained in the old hand tool methods.(and own them) I know post and beam construction. I might be useful for designing or building a new shelter if it becomes necessary to go underground. What do you do? Am I nuts?

We should all be Hams anyway. I can't remember my callsign offhand. I really haven't got set up properly since I took the test.

Here in Nashville  there is a new place set up near my shop called  Fort Houston. It's a whearhouse  space set   up into several trades and arts. there are glass blowers and woodworkers.  Photographers and someone who restires mini bikes. all offer a membership which gives members time in any shop to learn and build things.

Thet have seminars and I'll likely be teaching one.  These are young people, all pitched inand it WILL make money.

check them out,

http://forthouston.com/

Reading your post this sounds like a place I came across earlier this summer on the internet, Dansdepot.com. They sell everything from packs, knives, dehydrated food, shelters etc. You should check them out, they don't have a storefront, they are an online company, but it would be very similar to what you are proposing.
  • Like 1
  • Administrator

You just described REI

That was my first thought reading this thread.  The reality is that survivalism is an extrapolation of recreational "roughing it" for camping, hiking, hunting, etc.  A store would do well to cater to those activities broadly rather than try to advertise itself as a Prepper HQ or something like that.

That was my first thought reading this thread.  The reality is that survivalism is an extrapolation of recreational "roughing it" for camping, hiking, hunting, etc.  A store would do well to cater to those activities broadly rather than try to advertise itself as a Prepper HQ or something like that.

I disagree. Whilst there is some superficial resemblance and crossover, the basic assumptions and rationales are quite different.

I am familiar with REI and have put some thought into prepping (though nowhere near enough action) and REI is probably one of the last places I'd go for most of my stuff.

Edited by tnguy
  • Administrator

I disagree. Whilst there is some superficial resemblance and crossover, the basic assumptions and rationales are quite different.

I never said they weren't.  The assumptions and rationales may be different but those are superfluous to the equipment necessary to achieve it.  The equipment crosses over very easily and that crossover is what makes a more widespread marketability possible.

A store such as this, whether online or brick and mortar, would do well to sell to the wider audience yet have certain things catering specifically to the survivalist.

Speaking of REI, why do you guys think there is only one location in the state? Is it their prices, lack of potential customers in other areas of the state, what? I would think a store in east TN would do well but maybe not otherwise they would likely put one there.
Edited by Trekbike
  • Administrator

Speaking of REI, why do you guys think there is only one location in the state? Is it their prices, lack of potential customers in other areas of the state, what? I would think a store in east TN would do well but maybe not otherwise they would likely put one there.

There aren't many REIs across the country, period.  We're fortunate to have it here.  Why is it here?  Williamson County is one of the wealthiest in the nation which means a store like that can sell their wares pretty easily.

yup.  now if we could only get Cabelas to want to come to Bellevue again.    :cry:

I agree with the sentiment that being successful in such an endeavor requires a complex mix of consumer savvy (both target and tangential markets), impecable timing, and ... luck.   It also would most likely have to grow from very, very small and humble roots - being vigilant about overhead.

I'd love to do this; I can just see the kids' faces (and their parents') when they drink the water they just "harvested" from the grass with  their t-shirts at the second part of a two-meeting training for kids on survival water.  ... and it may happen some day....

You just described REI

Talk about synchronicity!  I had never even heard of REI until Hershmeister responded to my post with his above quoted post.  Now, they just announced that they are opening a storefront in Knoxville (first heard about the planned Knoxville location yesterday evening, five days after Hershmeister alerted me to their existence.  OOOooooEEeeeeOOOooooo!):

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/aug/14/rei-plans-knoxville-store/?partner=popular

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1
Here's an article which you may find enlightening about the Prepper business opportunities :

Industries Making the Most Money on Doomsday Preppers
24/7 Wall St.
As many as 3.7 million Americans are classified as preppers or survivalists. Being a “doomsday prepper” is not easy — or cheap.

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2013/08/19/industries-making-the-most-money-on-doomsday-preppers/

• Like 1

I'm not so much on the doomsday. Though it's possibly something could happen. I'm more concerned about fairly short-term disruptions to infrastructure. Power out, civil unrest, fires, floods. These are all things that happen fairly often. Don't want to get shanked scrabbling for the last pack of TP.

Edited by tnguy

Great responses. There is much research to do, so consider yourselves the first focus group!!!

There are no guaranties in any retail setting, and if you are selling any "common" goods, you are competing against amazon, eBay, Walmart, etc.... fighting the same war that huge entities like Best Buy are struggling to stay in (much less win!).

But. I am more of a fan of being the best in the world at one thing. If we did this, it would be grounded in making customers feel like dear family, and truly understanding each customer's situation and unique needs/wants would be every employee's mission.

I am also a fan of creating the market (Apple, love them or hate them have been the best at this in the history of retail). That means great grass roots marketing presence, overwhelmingly good experiences for every customer, and selling the idea of being prepared to the average James and Jennifer (being an Eagle Scout, it's an addiction that is hard to break).

What else!?

Best service and attitude to back up your product line with competitive pricing (not the lowest price, a competitive price)

Understand 40% of all folks do buy simply on price...the good news is 60% of people buy on that intangible called VALUE

Quick drop ship program for non-stocking items?

Try to find items, common and unique, that are distributed exclusively through retail channels or require bulk purchase for the on-line shopper.

Spend the money to find an expert on Search Engine Optimization, you want to be on the first page of the google search!

I also like the warehouse idea if you want a physical location, cheaper and allows you to multipurpose and maybe partner with a traditional LGS.

Edited by Gotthegoods
Guest ochretoe

I think it is very doable and could be quite profitable after a few years.  All depends on your work ethic and desires.  I say go for it.