Best BBQ in Downtown Memphis

I got to go to Memphis at the end of the month. When I go to Memphis I stay downtown.  So I walk over to Beale Street to get some food and music.  Most times I end up at Blues City Cafe for beer, ribs, and tamales.  Sometimes I go to the Flying Fish for fish tacos. But there has to be better BBQ than Beale street BBQ.  What is the best BBQ downtown? Or the best BBQ that I can drive to? 

I'm disappointed by most BBQ places in Memphis. The worst thing about it, is that they lack of consistency. 

I've you're not opposed to driving, Memphis BBQ Co in Southaven (not too far of a drive from downtown Memphis) has been good the last couple of times I've gone. Everyone I've referred there has enjoyed it. I really like their wet ribs (the dry ribs are usually way too dry) and pulled pork. The chicken and beef brisket are so-so. If you like pork rinds, they give you free pork rinds instead of free bread, and the rinds are delicious.

If you're looking for downtown, there's a place I've always walked by, but never tried, that some of my friends say is very good. Its called the Double J Saloon and it always smells amazing whenever I walk by at night (they have a smoker behind the restaurant). 

Let us know where you end up going, because I'm sure others would like to know where you got some good Memphis BBQ as well (and please stay away from Rendezvous and Corky's....Rendezvous is a tourist spot and has horrible BBQ everytime I've gone for some event, and Corky's has the history but their BBQ has been going downhill for over a decade and kinda just continues to get business because of its name and marketing, not because it is the best around here)

• Moderators
If you are willing to travel just a few short miles into Midtown, the BBQ Shop on Madison is my favorite in the city. Another option is Cozy Corner at the corner of Danny Thomas and North Parkway. Those are my two favorite BBQ joints in the city.
  • Like 1

If you are willing to travel just a few short miles into Midtown, the BBQ Shop on Madison is my favorite in the city. Another option is Cozy Corner at the corner of Danny Thomas and North Parkway. Those are my two favorite BBQ joints in the city.

I've heard a lot of good things about those two places as well. I'll need to hit those up sometime.

I enjoyed Central BBQ.  It's hard to say if it is the best I've ever had, but it was good. 

I know this is a bit off topic, but this thread got me thinking, if I had to call a best from a restaurant, I'd probably go with Arthur Bryant's in Kansas City.  Over all, Kansas City BBQ doesn't live up to all the hype, but I do like Arthur Bryant's from the original location.

I'll second Cozy Corner and the BBQ Shop has a second location downtown behind the Civil Rights Museuem.
  • Moderators

I'll second Cozy Corner and the BBQ Shop has a second location downtown behind the Civil Rights Museuem.

I was not aware of the second location. I will definitely put this information to use. Thank you. :D
Guest TresOsos

I don't care for BBQ in Memphis, the only place I care about eating at in Memphis is Huey's on Madison for lunch, a very good burger..

Luckily it doesn't happen often because I hate Memphis and I only go there when work forces me to and I mean forces me to.

What a ****hole of town. Good luck on your visit.

I don't care for BBQ in Memphis, the only place I care about eating at in Memphis is Huey's on Madison for lunch, a very good burger..

Luckily it doesn't happen often because I hate Memphis and I only go there when work forces me to and I mean forces me to.

What a ****hole of town. Good luck on your visit.

Thanks for adding your ****hole opinion to this conversation.

I believe the place behind the Civil Rights Museum is Central BBQ.  Can't vouch for the downtown location, but the one on Central is good.

Edited by nickstone
  • Like 2
Guest TresOsos

Your welcome, born and raised there and having lived there, I feel I'm entitled to it.

And it is the truth.

I believe the place behind the Civil Rights Museum is Central BBQ. Can't vouch for the downtown location, but the one on Central is good.

You are correct. It is Central BBQ. Edited by LINKS2K
Guest 270win

Central BBQ in Memphis is pretty good.  If you go out to Germantown, the Commissary is excellant.  Commissary has great pulled pork, ribs, sides, and dessert food.  I tried their Brunswick stew and it was pretty good.

Central BBQ in Memphis is pretty good.  If you go out to Germantown, the Commissary is excellant.  Commissary has great pulled pork, ribs, sides, and dessert food.  I tried their Brunswick stew and it was pretty good.

Great food. Only a few minutes from my home. It can be addicting.

Since the OP asked about good BBQ downtown, I'll come to the defense of Rendezvous since it is within walking distance of Beale Street. If you like dry rub style ribs, a lot of mustard in your slaw and spicy (not too sweet) BBQ beans, you'll like Rendezvous. The decor/atmosphere with all of the old antiques, the brick walls and old style waiters is like no other place. I always take Memphis visitors there and they always love it. Go there for Lunch on Friday and you get a free bowl of BBQ gumbo/red beans and rice that I've always wished they had as a regular menu item. 

Cozy Corner is a less well known little place on the north side of downtown that is not really within reasonable walking distance from Beale Street. It is also only open for lunch and very early dinner. It is one of my favorite lunch places, although it has been a while since I have eaten there.

Most of the other places mentioned, while very good, aren't really downtown. You'll need to drive a little ways to find most of them, and several are quite far from downtown.    

Guest ochretoe

Interstate is by far the best in the city. All of the Neely's can cook a pig.   Central is ok but the service sucks. Rendezvous has really good B-B-Q shrimp but their pork is iffy.   

Since the OP asked about good BBQ downtown, I'll come to the defense of Rendezvous since it is within walking distance of Beale Street. If you like dry rub style ribs, a lot of mustard in your slaw and spicy (not too sweet) BBQ beans, you'll like Rendezvous. The decor/atmosphere with all of the old antiques, the brick walls and old style waiters is like no other place. I always take Memphis visitors there and they always love it. Go there for Lunch on Friday and you get a free bowl of BBQ gumbo/red beans and rice that I've always wished they had as a regular menu item. 

Cozy Corner is a less well known little place on the north side of downtown that is not really within reasonable walking distance from Beale Street. It is also only open for lunch and very early dinner. It is one of my favorite lunch places, although it has been a while since I have eaten there.

Most of the other places mentioned, while very good, aren't really downtown. You'll need to drive a little ways to find most of them, and several are quite far from downtown.    

I have only been to Memphis once - and that was more than ten years ago, now - but that one time we ate at Rendezvous.  I am pretty picky about barbecue and liked their dry rubbed ribs enough that it started me down the path to doing my own ribs at home with a dry rub rather than 'wet' most of the time.  One of my friends got barbecue pork chops or something like that and I didn't think they were good, at all, so I would say that their menu items are probably 'hit or miss' and would stick with the ribs.. The thing I remember most, however, were the free red beans and rice they were passing out.  Those things were darned good - I'd say every bit as good as the red beans and rice I had in New Orleans.  I even found the Rendezvous recipe for red beans and rice online, once, and have made them a few times with very good results (although I have since lost that recipe.) 

I have eaten there several times. It was always good.