Natchez Trace State Park Range?

creeky

We have traveled through there and camped on ocassion and I keep

meaning to turn into where it is at for a quick look but haven't.

Can't find much info on the web except they have one. And that it is maybe a pistol range.

I stopped at the park headquarters and the little girl behond the counter

didn't have any info on it, or know much about it. (the ranger had stepped out so she couldn't ask him.)

Has anyone ever used it? Is there a fee? Pistol only? etc...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is it?

Natchez Trace State Park...

South side of the park off I-40.

("Pin Oak lake" side.)

"Natchez Trace is located in Carroll, Henderson, and Benton counties in West Tennessee. It lies 35 miles east of Jackson off of Interstate 40 between Nashville and Memphis. Take Exit 116 off of I-40 to the parks main entrance."

Link...

Guest Major Pain

I have a buddy that has gone up there 2 or 3 times. He said it was a free range and the times he was there no one else was around. I'll find out some more info and pass it along.--MP

Guest Crunchman

I used to use this range until gas got so costly. Usually, it's a nice place to go, but it doesn't get enough upkeep. Several times I've been there and all the target frames were down. They do have nice shelters at 100 and 50 yards with concrete floors, sturdy tables, and lots of wasps during the summer. You stop just after you turn onto the entrance road and there's a sign-in desk with a donation box. I always dropped a couple of bucks in to help with maintainence.

I am pretty sure that that is the old rifle range. When I joined the National Guard way back in 1967 that was where we would go once a year to requalify with the M-1, then the M-14. There was a pit area that had targets on frames that the pit crew would raise and lower by hand and also record the hits. I haven't been there for,maybe, thirty years. WOW!!

Guest Crunchman

mac12 I think we're talking about another place. This range has never had a pit.

creeky, it has concrete walks at (I think) 7, 15 and 20 yards for pistol shooters. I have seen guys there practicing for IDPA.

mac12 I think we're talking about another place. This range has never had a pit.

creeky, it has concrete walks at (I think) 7, 15 and 20 yards for pistol shooters. I have seen guys there practicing for IDPA.

It looked like the same location on the map. When I knew it, it was a 300 yard rifle range. It has probably all grown up with vegetation these past 30 years and they are only using the front part of the old range. :):shrug:

The range at Natchez Trace SP has a 25 yard pistol range. There is also a rifle range, but I believe it only goes out to 75 yards (I could be mistaken). Both have covered shelters with tables for your gear. The range is free, but there is a donation box at the entrance. You also have to fill out a range permit card, they are located at the entrance next to the donation box.

My only complaint with the range is that the pistol range is actually downrange of the rifle range. I don't know who designed it that way, but they need their head examined. On more than one occasion, I have been shooting on the pistol range, only to have people come in on the rifle range behind me and start setting up their rifles to shoot. Some people who use that range have absolutely no idea about range safety. :rolleyes: So watch out!

Edited by Reservoir Dog
Guest bang-flash

i used it a lot last year before the gas price escalation.

fairly nice place when the target boards are up. the above mentioned rifle lanes are kinda hairy when rifle shooters show up. to be safe i used the far right section of the pistol range. a rifle would have to shoot through the shelter to reach the right pistol lanes.

many times i would have the place all to myself which is nice to do my own thing. i have seen it closed for several days in a row for l.e.o. or guard usage. but never longer than 2 w/e's in a row. the park store was also very helpful and seemed glad to see people use it.