Need help with weapon light for home defense

Guest The Itis

Streamlights are a good option. At least, that's what I've heard. The X-300 is a VERY well designed weapon light. I trust it as much as my Glock. The question in my mind, will the TLR-3 fail when a Surefire won't? 

I have no idea as I have no experience with Surefire. I've never been able to justify spending 3x more for a light than every other competitor. Much like HK.

I CAN tell you that the TLR-3 is built like a tank and lights up my entire house. Is the Surefire better? Possibly. Is it $300 better? I highly doubt it.

I have no idea as I have no experience with Surefire. I've never been able to justify spending 3x more for a light than every other competitor. Much like HK.

I CAN tell you that the TLR-3 is built like a tank and lights up my entire house. Is the Surefire better? Possibly. Is it $300 better? I highly doubt it.

It's $200. 

If you're going to trust your life to a piece of equipment don't you want to be able to trust it and not have to worry? That's why I no longer buy the "cheaper" more affordable equipment such as a "tactical" Hellfire light from Midway, those things are the biggest turds I've ever had the misfortune of purchasing and are priced like a Streamlight.

If you're going to trust your life to a piece of equipment don't you want to be able to trust it and not have to worry? That's why I no longer buy the "cheaper" more affordable equipment such as a "tactical" Hellfire light from Midway, those things are the biggest turds I've ever had the misfortune of purchasing and are priced like a Streamlight.

The Streamlights really are supposed to be OK. I don't own any, but know several folks that do.

And when you get a little bigger, you can have an adult light like me  :x:

You sure can be a smartass sometimes Mike. :shake:  Do you even own a streamlight or are you just assuming the Surfire is better because it costs more?

Cost does not always equal quality.

• Like 1

You sure can be a smartass sometimes Mike. :shake:  Do you even own a streamlight or are you just assuming the Surfire is better because it costs more?

Cost does not always equal quality.

Do you read threads before you post? I said early on that Streamlights were rumored to be OK. I just couldn't pass up an opportunity to give you ####. It's a character flaw :)

And BTW... trade your Glocks in on some Bersas. They're just as good :)

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 2

The thing I had worked for about six months then just craped out on me, then bought my buddies Surefire he had in Iraq for $30. :woohoo:

A Streamlight? I don't recall hearing of any big problems with them. Hell, Erik is ready to scratch my eyes out for dissin' his  :rofl:

• Admin Team

The Streamlight TLR series are fine lights.  I've got a few.  I've got a TLR-3 sitting on a P99 currently because the rail is wonky on the original Walthers.  I've broken one.  I wouldn't take that as a negative point, though because it's a piece of plastic.  So is the Surefire.  If you run your gear, it's going to see some hard use, and I fully expect I might break an x300 one of these days.

You could go your entire shooting life with Streamlights and be perfectly well served and happy.  But, put a TLR series in one hand and an x300 in the other and you'll see the difference.

Besides.  Most of America spends the $100ish delta between an okay light and a great light on cheeseburgers every month. 

Guest The Itis

If the streamlights are leagues better than most, then it would be better to find a used, perhaps older model streamlight over a brand new lesser brand? If so, what older models of streamlights are to be considered?

^ People will tell you yes, but if they're the older "incan bulb" models, then not as well as an LED model.  You could always drop a Malkoff unit in one or both of them.  Having said that, considering that a P2X Fury will run you right at $100, and a 300-lumen G2X Tactical can be had for $66.50 (from LAPG), why not try one out? 

• Admin Team

I've never had great luck with incandescent bulbs on any weapon, much less a shotgun. 

There were several years in which they provided a lot better light, but those filaments are so fragile.  LEDs are a big improvement in terms of robustness.

I've never had great luck with incandescent bulbs on any weapon, much less a shotgun. 

There were several years in which they provided a lot better light, but those filaments are so fragile.  LEDs are a big improvement in terms of robustness.

They get even more fragile as the filament burns its way through its useful life. Bright LED's are the best thing that ever happened to flashlights.

• Like 1