Wal Mart single store policy?

The friend went back tonight and talked to a "Manager", who said it the result of going to a computerized 4473. Their store had not received the proper software, so they are taking the 72 hours to do it the "Old fashioned way" till their computer system gets upgraded?

The Peoples Republic of Illinois has a 3-day waiting period on all fire arms sales. I never saw anything like that in Tennessee.

24 hrs for long arms, 72 for hand guns. Unless its changed recently.

The friend went back tonight and talked to a "Manager", who said it the result of going to a computerized 4473. Their store had not received the proper software, so they are taking the 72 hours to do it the "Old fashioned way" till their computer system gets upgraded?

"Old fashioned way" is a paper 4473 and a phone call. Only waiting period is the time on hold.

- OS

• Like 5

It kind of sounds like they are giving themselves 72hours to accomplish the 10 second phone call. The computer's down, so it's a crisis type of thing...
Guest Lester Weevils

That is an interesting thing hadn't ever thought about. Does every store in a chain have its own FFL, or is there just a master FFL at the home office? If you buy a gun from a store that belongs to a big chain, does your 4473 get retained by the local store, or is it archived along with all other stores' 4473's at a corporate office?

The individual folks working behind the walmart gun counter can vary and some of the workers can be a bit doofus. If those local hired hands are sposed to take good care of 4473 forms "in perpetuity" then it might not turn out too well? They might not understand the law very well or take it at all seriously? Or just make too many mistakes?

Even if this were in Tennessee, how would it be against the law?

Saying that a store can't impose its own "waiting period" because it's not required by federal/state law sounds a lot to me like saying that because a store has an FFL they MUST sell firearms.

I wouldn't do business with such a Walmart but then, as many here know, I wont darken the door (and more to the point, wont enter the parking lot) of a Walmart anyway. ;)

I went to the local Walmart here in Greeneville to buy a shotgun the other day and they told me that it was going to be 24 hour wait because of some terrorist red flag policy that the government was under. I told him that was bull crap and that I would just buy it somewhere else. Now that didn't hurt his feelings, but its the principal of the matter. If you are going to delay my transaction don't give me some lame excuse, man up and tell me why you are doing it. Luckily for me I went right down the road and got a better deal on a upgraded shotgun and got it order in a timely manner. I would rather wait three days because someone had to order a gun than wait a day because your store is lazy and wants to give out crap excuses. 

• Like 5

That is an interesting thing hadn't ever thought about. Does every store in a chain have its own FFL, or is there just a master FFL at the home office? If you buy a gun from a store that belongs to a big chain, does your 4473 get retained by the local store, or is it archived along with all other stores' 4473's at a corporate office?

The individual folks working behind the walmart gun counter can vary and some of the workers can be a bit doofus. If those local hired hands are sposed to take good care of 4473 forms "in perpetuity" then it might not turn out too well? They might not understand the law very well or take it at all seriously? Or just make too many mistakes?

Each store has its own forms. I've seen the boxes full of them.

That is an interesting thing hadn't ever thought about. Does every store in a chain have its own FFL, or is there just a master FFL at the home office?

FFLs are specific by address. If you move your biz next door, you can't operate there until your FFL is updated to reflect the new address. I actually ran into prob with this personally regarding a glitch with Bill's Outpost when they moved.

The only place an FFL can transfer a firearm except from the specific address is at a gun show in same state.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest TankerHC

Colorado, New York, Washington DC and California now have lifetime waiting periods. (We'll approve it, but you'll be dead by then, so why bother?)

Guest TankerHC

Whether or not its left up to the individual stores, or corporate policy, or isnt really happening at all, probably wouldn't matter anyway. It doesnt seem to matter when I tell people that Walmart is in the Mayors Against Illegal Guns Responsible Firearms Retail Partnership and that they began scrutinizing gun purchases last January, recording all gun purchases and keeping a database to report to PD if you sell your gun and its later used in a crime, they are supposed to have begun posting signs written by MAIG, and several other things. At the same time Walmart is the largest gun retailer in the Nation, they support many shooting and outdoor, and hunting activities, I spoke with their Corporate officer responsible for firearms sales last March, was told they have no intent on alienating customers who make up 5% of their retail profits. At the same time, Walmart is BIIIIIG Retail, joining up with MAIG got them an insider in the White House,

Right after Bidens meeting with Walmart, Walmart exec Sylvia Mathews Burwell, in charge of the Walmart Foundation, was nominated to be Obama's Budget Chief. She had already served in the Clinton Administration which got her into Walmart in the first place.

People can bash Walmart, but you cant say there arent some smart son of a guns running that business.

http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/partnership/partnership.shtml

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20130304/NEWS03/130309825/1066

Same delay with Rogersville store.  Clerk said it was due to computer upgrades at TICS, but I filled out their computerized 4473, printed and signed it, and he got the OK from TICS while I waited, and then said he'd see me in 72 hours.

I callled corporate.  They have no idea why there is a delay, and are going to find out.  I should get a return call today.  Might be a regional manager with 'issues'.   

Guest tdoccrossvilletn
Hell everyone I know of processes the 4473 back ground check online. I don't know of anyone that calls it in anymore. Walmart get with the times Damnit

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

Hell everyone I know of processes the 4473 back ground check online. I don't know of anyone that calls it in anymore. Walmart get with the times Damnit

Most already do it online, but still with paper 4473. This seems to be change to the e-form for the ones that don't do that already too, near as I can tell.

The mystery is why the delay at all. Guessing maybe syncing into central server or something, but can't tell from info so far.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot