Things that make you feel old

I sprained my foot chasing my kids around.  2 weeks later, it still hurts.

I graduated from high school before kids that just started college were born. 

I remember black & white TV with rabbit ears and trying to tune in UHF and VHF channels.

My truck I just bought has "roll up" windows. My daughter looked confused at the handles and asked what they were for. I explained that was how you roll down the windows. She asked where the buttons were. I told her the handles spun to let down the windows to which she replied " that's weird, I've never seen that before"

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

• Like 3

Remembering things that make me feel old isn't the problem. Problem is remembering at all.

I do remember buying premium gas for .65 a gallon when I first started driving. And that was for octane much higher than the 93 we have now. I can also remember watching the Three Stoogies every morning on one of the three channels we got. Or when we would ride our bikes to the town hall, which was left open 24 hours, to get a 12 oz bottle of Coke for .15 because it was cheaper than .25 in front of the store. I remember the first sodas with a twist off cap, before that you needed a bottle opener. Or pull tabs on cans that actually came off the can. I cut my feet on more than one occassion while at the lake on them.

I also remember using 5.25" floppy disks and using a hole punch to make it double sided. Or when 8 meg, not gig, of ram or a 40 meg, again not gig, hard drive was considered a lot. I remember buying a 2 meg stick of ram and it cost me $100. I also remember doubling my video memory to 1 meg. But I needed these upgrades to play Duke Nukem with friends on out 14.4 modem. I remember when connecting a 9,600 baud was considered a "high speed" connection. And that I thought we were in heaven when we first connected using our 36.6 modem. Or waiting all night for a file to download that was a single megabyte.

I also remember having a stereo in the house that played 8 track cassettes. It also played vinyl records. I remember watching movies at a neighbors house on the new "laser disk" system. I also remember when VCR's first came out and they were the size of a microwave of today.

I also remember when you could buy a box of 22's as a kid without anyone batting an eye. Or when missing the first day of deer season was considered an excused absence.

But the biggest thing that shows my age is this. When I was younger being on welfare or receiving any type of government benefit was considered embarrassing.

• Like 5
Started driving my first car when gas was 21 cents/gallon. Could buy a full set of tires for 100 bucks and less. Could take a girl to a movie, get a couple of Mickey D's burger meals and still have a couple of bucks left from a 10 to fill the gas tank, go crusing around all nite and go parking.

Damn I feel old.
  • Like 1

I reminder gas prices at 1 dollar a gallon, sometimes in the .90 cent range. Now I feel like my uncle telling me he used to buy gas for .30 cent a gallon.

Guns Magazine had a letter in it from years ago, complaining because gas was 15cents a gallon by the Texas oil fields.

Me, I wasn't around for even the $1/gallon. I think the cheapest I remember buying at is about $2 or $2.25.

Me, I wasn't around for even the $1/gallon. I think the cheapest I remember buying at is about $2 or $2.25.

I used to love filling up in GA when it was in the low $.80s per gallon.  Cheaper than FL and SC/NC. 

Guest 6.8 AR

I reminder gas prices at 1 dollar a gallon, sometimes in the .90 cent range.  Now I feel like my uncle telling me he used to buy gas for .30 cent a gallon.

Hell, I remember when it was 24.9 cents a gallon. It was my first fill up. Yeh, that feels old.

That old Canadian Centennial model 94 Winchester at $99. Ain't it sad?

But to put it in a good light. I'm still living. :D Hopefully, a long way to go.

Guest Lester Weevils

I've read that people often consider times in the past "closer to the present" than times in the future. Ferinstance, the year 2000 seems closer to "now" than the year 2026.

Long-term inflation-- When folks were accustomed to 25 cent gas, and then suddenly noticed it costing 50 cents-- That was just as much inflation as when it jumps from $2.50 to $5.00, or from $10.00 to $20.00 some time in the future.

Nowadays both 25 cent and 50 cent gas seem "about the same" because it is so cheap compared to today's prices, but it was a big deal at the time. With minimum wage around a buck an hour, fifty cent gas would cost more than a day's work for a fillup. That's probably more expensive than the amount of hours a minimum wage guy would have to work nowadays for a fillup.

Dunno if it makes me feel old, but I stay disoriented because the price of everything keeps rising so fast, year in, year out. Thanks, Federal Reserve! Over the years have been reluctant to charge for jobs what the work is worth, because the reasonable fee to charge for the work seems highway robbery, with my "out of date" feel for the value of a dollar. Even a fair price quote makes me feel guilty like I'm ripping people off, because I remember when an ordinary fee of today would be crazy money.