Things that make you feel old

I remember most of these things, but what is really making me feel old right now is this ____ __ sciatica. Back and leg hurt so bad I can hardly move. Also, recently had carpel tunnel surgery and they wanted a complete surgical history. It took two pages. If you are still young, take care of yourself. You might live longer than you think.

• Like 1

Tanker that picture isn't a 68 pickup, more like 62 or 63, we had a 66 and it had single headlights. As for the mystery car, I would guess the starting vehicle was a 63 ford galaxie, but just a guess. I remember buying 22lr at Western auto for $0.29 in '63 and nobody thought a thing about an 11 year old buying bullets. Now you got to be 18 or 21 to buy a knife, really!! Speaking of change, my wife's grandma was born late 1890's she saw the invention of automobile, airplane, man on the moon (if you actually believe it), the phone changed from party line to private to cell phone, the PC, Al I am stupid Gore's internet, 78records to 33 1/3, to 45's, then 4 track, 8 track, cassette, CD, blu tooth. How many of you had a 4 track then a 8 track? I had 4 track with a Jimi Hendrix tape.

Guest TankerHC

Tanker that picture isn't a 68 pickup, more like 62 or 63, we had a 66 and it had single headlights. As for the mystery car, I would guess the starting vehicle was a 63 ford galaxie, but just a guess. I remember buying 22lr at Western auto for $0.29 in '63 and nobody thought a thing about an 11 year old buying bullets. Now you got to be 18 or 21 to buy a knife, really!! Speaking of change, my wife's grandma was born late 1890's she saw the invention of automobile, airplane, man on the moon (if you actually believe it), the phone changed from party line to private to cell phone, the PC, Al I am stupid Gore's internet, 78records to 33 1/3, to 45's, then 4 track, 8 track, cassette, CD, blu tooth. How many of you had a 4 track then a 8 track? I had 4 track with a Jimi Hendrix tape.

yea, I cant remember the year, just that it was an old POS.

Guest TankerHC

I am sure someone here who is expert on this can clarify. I was listening to someone on Sirius last year and there was a discussion on sound. One of the guys made a joke about those big clunky 8-tracks and wondered why people would bother collecting that junk. The other guy responded that he collects them, not for anything nostalgic, but the sound quality is superior to the best digital you can buy in a store today or download. The multiple tracks gave you the ability to actually hear each instrument independently and a bunch of other things. Purists dont spend money on 8-tracks because its something they had as a kid, they spend money on 8 tracks because it is the best commercial sound that has ever been available, that and reel to reel. He also stated that the reason they went away wasn't because the Cassette was better, they went away because the cassette was smaller, which is the same reason the cassette went away for the CD, more music in a smaller space, not better sounding music.

We had 8 tracks in the cars and in the house, had a console with AM-FM, 8 track and turntable. Some relatives had the same thing only with a TV built in the front.

Edited by TankerHC
Guest Lester Weevils
The 8 track cassettes was an "infinite loop" of tape with 8 tracks across the tape, configured as four stereo pairs. The stereo playback head was on a solenoid actuated ratchet so that every time the loop would repeat, it would clunk the head up one position so it would play another stereo pair of tracks. So an album with perhaps 12 songs, you might have 3 songs on each stereo pair. From a technical perspective, the fidelity was TERRIBLE. And the mechanisms were typically built bad, prone to failure, which is why so few working units survive to this day.

Howeve, the ear is a precise instrument, but the ear and brain do not always associate goodness with scientific accuracy. So you can find people who think tape or vinyl sound "better" than this or that digital format. Which is fine. If wow and flutter and 10 percent distortion sounds good to an individual, then its fine because the enjoyment is what matters.

That said, good digital equipment has lots better measurable specs, and it generally sounds better to my ear. Though there are plenty of examples of bad digital audio.

Any of you guys remember how back in the day EVERYBODY closed for Christmas? I remember clearly as a little kid we had a tradition to get up, look under the tree(but not touch anything) , go to church and the way home stop by one of the three open businesses in town, a bagel shop.

Shoot I remember when most business were closed on Sunday. Sad part is that was less than 15 or so years ago!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I remember helping my mom stick S&H Greenstamps into a booklet, and saving them up, taking them into the local redemption store. I don't think they even have those any more.

I remember the hottest TV show was the Six Million Dollar Man. Now the star is hawking hearing aids or something, on TV.

You used to have to get a licence to operate a CB radio.

Banana Seat bicycles, with a playing card clipped to the forks with a clothes pin to make it sounds like a motorcycle.

Anyone remember the electronics sets that had a bunch of electronic parts on a board with little springs attached to them. They came with a hundred wires and you would clip them into the springs and make something, like a radio. 

• Like 1
Guest TankerHC

I remember helping my mom stick S&H Greenstamps into a booklet, and saving them up, taking them into the local redemption store. I don't think they even have those any more.

I remember the hottest TV show was the Six Million Dollar Man. Now the star is hawking hearing aids or something, on TV.

You used to have to get a licence to operate a CB radio.

Banana Seat bicycles, with a playing card clipped to the forks with a clothes pin to make it sounds like a motorcycle.

Anyone remember the electronics sets that had a bunch of electronic parts on a board with little springs attached to them. They came with a hundred wires and you would clip them into the springs and make something, like a radio. 

hey forgot all about that. so did my grandparents. And they did something else, not good for health. They smoked Raliegh cigarettes. And a LOT of Raliegh cigarettes. They collected the stamps on the back of the packs, and when they got a carton (Nearly every day, sometimes 2) they would have like 10 stamps in the carton plus the ones on the packs. They got some good stuff from Raliegh, too bad smoking killed my grandmother (Or I should say her smoking cigarettes killed her)

Growing up my neighbor had a graduation/18th birthday/ leaving for active duty celebration all at one time in the summer of 1993. He was partially responsible for me joining years later.
His family is planning a retirement celebration for him. Edited by Patton
I remember in the early 60's I could walk or ride my bike to my uncle's gas station with a quarter and get an ice cream sandwich, a coke and a bag of peanuts. There was no taxes at all for items under $1. Oh yeah... He sold real gas for .18 cents a gallon. Edited by Randall53
Guest TankerHC

Who still has their big rolling paper in the Ceech and Chong album cover ? Do you know what an album is ?

I had it. Without googling going to see if I remember. Pipe Dreams? Something dreams? I can picture the album cover, but not the name.

I never heard anyone say that an 8-track had the best sound.  I have heard that vinyl - the very first time you play it - has the best sound possible but that you destroy the record a little every time you play it.  I read, once, that the reason vinyl has better sound is that, supposedly, humans hear in analog so analog recordings sound more 'true' to our ears.  That article went on to claim that, as digital sound is converted to analog by our ears, it can never have as much fidelity.  Personally - having been around when vinyl was still a major recording media (it coexisted with 8 track and 45 'singles' may have even outlasted 8 track) right through cassettes, CDs and MP3s, I think that just might be hogwash.  I, personally, think CDs have the best sound of anything I have heard, so far (better than most MP3s, even.)

That said, good digital equipment has lots better measurable specs, and it generally sounds better to my ear. Though there are plenty of examples of bad digital audio.

When CDs first came out, although it wasn't a 'new' album, Pink Floyd The Wall was one of my favorite albums and one that I listened to all the time.   I had listened to it over and over on cassette - to the point that I felt like I knew pretty much every, single note.  Then I got it on CD and was like, "Wow - there are entire layers of sound on this album that I never even knew were there." 

How about an egg with Red Goose Shoes ?

Now that goes way back, I don't think I could tie my shoes but I do remember the Goose. I think I bought Keds tenny shoes at the same store, Caster Knotts in Donelson in my later years.  :D