Best Powder for 7mm-08

I'm about to work up loads for a new(to me) 7mm-08. I'll be pushing 115gr, 120gr, and 140gr out a 22" barrel. Accuracy is first priority.

Powders I have on hand are WW 748, AA3100, AA 2520(?), AA 2015, and IMR 4198. Have loaded this Cartridge for 2 other Rifles many years back. Haven't looked at loading data YET! Will one of these suffice or do I need to spend $ to get the latest and greatest? Seems to me if memory serves, the WW748 and the AA 2520 are right in the range to try. 

Edited by HvBikeWlTravel
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7mm-08 Remington Model 7 with 140 grain Sierra Spitzer # 1910 Pro Hunter using IMR 4064 produced good results.  Approximately 3000 fps using Oehler 33 chronograph with near maximum load.  This was the only load we tested for deer hunting.  This combo has taken several whitetails.....

7mm-08 Remington Model 7 with 140 grain Sierra Spitzer # 1910 Pro Hunter using IMR 4064 produced good results.  Approximately 3000 fps using Oehler 33 chronograph with near maximum load.  This was the only load we tested for deer hunting.  This combo has taken several whitetails.....

Used up the last of my 4064 years ago.  After some investigation into availability, it looks like Powder is on the hard to get list.

Still have several lbs. of previously listed, so I guess I'll use that up first.

PS: I'm looking for consistent kill shots on Hummingbird size targets.

Some powder is hard to find. I looked for .223 powder in St Louis, Kansas City area, Springfield, Mo area 2 weeks ago but came home with none. I was able to find Sierra Bullets at the "Sierra Factory Outlet" in Sedalia, Mo. If any of you are in the area and have time the tour of the Sierra bullet factory is free and interesting. The factory outlet sells seconds by the pound and pricing is on Sierra's web site but they don't ship.

Good luck finding a load you like for your rifle.

Edited by deadeye111
Guest 6.8 AR

The only powders I've been missing lately, at the gun shows I've worked for David, have been the powders like CFE223,

which has always been hard to find, the other .223 powders, and stuff like the 4831SC, which we have now. Even have

Varget, to those who pray to that alter. 4064, 4895 and 4350 have almost always been on the carts. Even been getting

the WC846, which is Bl-C2, a good .223/.308 powder.

What I wonder about is that if you can't find the powder you want, and that does seem to happen often, why don't more of

you go look a a burn chart and try an alternate? They are out there. Burn rate, density and powder type can just about

always be found in another brand or label.

Granted, I'm no expert in powders, and have relied on others to learn most of it, but when I hear someone say CFE223 is

the cat's meow, it makes me wonder how many rounds they have loaded with it and what else they have used. I have used

844(H335) 842(thanks to Dolomite's load data) Accurate Data powder 2200, some 846(Bl-C2) in .223, 6.8 and .308.

Just tossing a few ideas out there.

Snip:

What I wonder about is that if you can't find the powder you want, and that does seem to happen often, why don't more of

you go look a a burn chart and try an alternate? They are out there. Burn rate, density and powder type can just about

always be found in another brand or label.

I don't want to hijack the OP's thread but I am going to test some loads Monday with IMR 4895, IMR 4320, IMR 4064, IMR 3031, H335, and a few rounds of Varget.  We didn't have enough Varget for extended testing and I wanted to try some CFE223 that you mentioned.  I have an Oehler 33 that is beneficial finding a load you would want to use along with shooting for accuracy.  I had considered contacting David about buying some powder and you answered my question as to the CFE223.  Some of us like the OP have powder but wanted to try something different.

Edited by deadeye111

Part of my posing the question was to find out if there was a relatively new powder specifically for the .308/7-08 case pushing the lighter end of the bullet choices. I am totally unfamiliar with all of the newer powders mentioned. If you'd asked me 25 years ago if there was any need for more powders on the market, my answer woulda been "Hell no!"  Obviously the Manufacturers disagreed.  And they probably have good sales figures to back up their decision.

Guest 6.8 AR

I think most of the powders on the market have a definite need for a particular cartridge and bullet, but there are

so many similarities in the powders between and within brands that there is good reason to try some different

stuff. What I think is funny, but someone evidently has used it, and with success, is Varget in a 5.56 cartridge. It's

a stick powder and doesn't meter or burn like a ball powder, but it works so well it's on the label of the can of

Varget.

From what I understand, Varget is great in .308, and for the moment is available, but IMR 8208, IMR 4064, or IMR

4831 works well with .308. SMP(WC)846 is pulled from .308's and has been used by the military from .30-06 to

5.56 to .308, and maybe others.

At that last show I went to, the folks came looking for particular powders, just like everyone, but the particular

powders they wanted were the ones I mentioned. Mostly, these guys were the older ones and have evidently

experimented with a bunch of different powders.

However, to the OP, Try the 4198, or as Deadeye said, the 4064. Another one would be IMR 8208 to try.

As a matter of fact the first rifle powders I bought(30 yrs ago) were 4064 and 4198. Still have old cans with just enough for 2-6 cases. Have much more Accurate so I might as well start experimenting with those. Have loading data for 2 previous 7-08s so I'm not totally in the dark.

Edited by HvBikeWlTravel