Changing jobs - sudden stress relief

Titles are over rated. I was hired as an IT Analyst, Corporate title showed as Senior IT Management Analyst which is a title that paid 3 times what I make.
My real duties are a SysAdmin, but now Corporate has changed my title to Infrastructure Management Analyst which again is a much higher paying title than what I get.
As long as I am making money, I don't Carr about the title. But I know a bunch of people exactly as you describe, some seem to care more about what is after their name (certs and title) than how much they make. I don't even list my certs except on resume.

Yup, I agree. You can title me Captain Mcfistybottom for all I care, just make sure I'm paid well and I'm happy

Hah! Joking of course. I laugh at titles because of how those of us in the industry yearn for them. Help desk guys view "sys admin" as the pinnacle of their career, sys admins see it as "architect". Oh if I could just be a _____ I'll have made it in the world! It's a vicious cycle :)

It's all good.  :D  I've never had an actual "architect" title but it is a primary function.  Right along with coding all hours of the night, responding to failed jobs out of hours, /etc.

... Right along with coding all hours of the night, responding to failed jobs out of hours, /etc.

That's the nature of the beast in our profession :)

Bah! Our jobs never fail. I can say that with certainty because I am *not* the person on the after hours support rotation this week.

When I'm on call? Yeah, things break nightly.

Im a drop out, finding a good job was hard. So i just used my personal skills to make my own business. Plus im not a people person working with others stress me out. Im very calm and happy working for and by myself.

Bah! Our jobs never fail. I can say that with certainty because I am *not* the person on the after hours support rotation this week.

When I'm on call? Yeah, things break nightly.

My jobs never fail!.   :ph34r:     I was talking about other folks jobs.  :whistle:

Yup, I agree. You can title me Captain Mcfistybottom for all I care, just make sure I'm paid well and I'm happy

Couldn't agree more, my title is Project Engineer, but I'll be damned if I know what that means.

Couldn't agree more, my title is Project Engineer, but I'll be damned if I know what that means.

That means you're the engineer, project manager, marketing consultant, financial analyst, and sales adviser, but only getting 1 paycheck...   AMHIK. 

Im a drop out, finding a good job was hard. So i just used my personal skills to make my own business. Plus im not a people person working with others stress me out. Im very calm and happy working for and by myself.

Why not get into a trade school? IMO they're more valuable than learning how to do statistics or some other useless crap.

School and classes are a big fear of mine. I panic and start sweating. Some reason i feel out of place and uneasy. Thats one reason i left school. Soon as i left i felt a big relief. But it screwed me up job wise. I know it sounds crazy lol.
Guest ochretoe

Good for you. I like my current job but I really hate sitting in a cube all day.

My dream job would be a park ranger back in TN or a Florida Wildlife office. But as much fun as the job might be, I really like making money. It would be a 40% reduction in pay if I were to leave my current job and become a park ranger. I just can't do that.

OH come on, it's not that bad of a job.  All the fresh air you can eat and I almost never work more than 20 hours a day. (Monday was the exception).  The pay is great if you don't want a house, car or food.  In 6 years I can retire and get a real job.  The best perk is I get my side arm when I retire.  Not much retirement, but a Glock.  Life is good.

Good for you. I like my current job but I really hate sitting in a cube all day.

My dream job would be a park ranger back in TN or a Florida Wildlife office. But as much fun as the job might be, I really like making money. It would be a 40% reduction in pay if I were to leave my current job and become a park ranger. I just can't do that.

Ditto brother.

OH come on, it's not that bad of a job.  All the fresh air you can eat and I almost never work more than 20 hours a day. (Monday was the exception).  The pay is great if you don't want a house, car or food.  In 6 years I can retire and get a real job.  The best perk is I get my side arm when I retire.  Not much retirement, but a Glock.  Life is good.

Do you get any say in where you patrol or can they put you anywhere in the state? Also, is it a lot of driving around or actually pretty exciting?

Guest ochretoe

Do you get any say in where you patrol or can they put you anywhere in the state? Also, is it a lot of driving around or actually pretty exciting?

Once hired and off probation you can transfer around the state when jobs open, if that is what you mean. We patrol our Park property but we also respond any where close if requested by county or state LOE's.  I drive between 30 and 100 miles a day usually.  I have 21 miles of paved roads.  My Ranger do a little more.(I'm a Manager now). Being close to Memphis it gets exciting on occasion.  Monday I worked 23.5 out of 24 hours.  We had two lost folks scouting for hunting.  I came on at 6:00 am Monday and went home at 5:30 am Tuesday.  Took a shower and went back to work for 9 more hours.  If you hunt, Buy a compass.  It will make my life a lot easier.

Edited by ochretoe
Guest ochretoe

A compass won't do any good if you don't know how to use it. A GPS is a better investment for most! I take you found them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We found them.  The problem with a GPS is there is no signal under the thick tree canopy.  You can at least walk a strait line with a compass.

We found them. The problem with a GPS is there is no signal under the thick tree canopy. You can at least walk a strait line with a compass.

True. It's generally pretty easy to find a road, trail or major landmark if you've even just glanced at a map and have a compass to keep you moving in a straight line.

In most cases being an expert in land navigation is not required to recover from being "lost". A compass? Yeah...that's important.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Guest Lester Weevils

I'm self-employed but collaborated mainly with the same folks for the last 17 years. They are great folks and got no complaints with the pay. Have just got too old and fried to do the work any more. Can't stay awake long enough to get anything done. It is worst when the task is both boring and complicated, a deadly combination. Just can't drink enough coffee to keep from nodding off in front of the puter. Quit working for almost a year, living on savings waiting to get old enough for the social security to pay more, and the SS income cap to rise some. Until you get at least 65, if you make more than peanuts, might as well not apply to SS because they will take it away if you make much money "on the side".

So the last few months been trying to program a little bit. Been getting a little done but it ain't going well. We've been application programming on a couple of big programs that by now have as much source code as the bible, a gordian knot of spaghetti. OTOH a re-write from scratch would take years, and you can't advertise an upgrade-- "Same feature set as as last year, but less spaghetti under the hood! Buy now!" :)

So the part of the work that puts me out better than a sleeping pill-- A new feature might only need a few hundred lines, or maybe as few as ten lines, but have to spend hours and days taking copious notes about every location that the new feature will interact with the old features, so that finally one can figure out the exact spots to splice the new lines so that the new feature doesn't break any older features. Baling wire and duct tape.

Think I'll kick back and write an audio plugin or two and see if that puts me to sleep. Audio plugins are fairly simple and quick, and by nature you generally "start from scratch" except for code toolboxes you've already written years ago. Haven't written one in awhile. Wrote a bunch of plugins in the past but mainly as "extra inducements" to buy the cash cow products. If I can't even stay awake writing a plugin, probably time to quit programming.