Question, rant (LEO)

OK. Here's the question. When a LEO runs your plates.....can they not see that you have a CDL, carry permit, armed guard license, any outstanding tickets or warrants? Do they have to actually run your drivers license number to find out all that stuff?

I'm so tired of getting pulled over for frivolous crap like california stops, being told I was speeding when I was not, or some other made up crap. Just because I drive a twenty five year old hoop-dee that looks like a crackhead's car doesn't mean they need to fish for something that is nonexistent just to do nothing but waste my time and give me a warning.

I get pulled over and or followed at least 3-4 times a month on my way to or from work and my employer and wife are getting tired of my getting pulled over excuse. Make a freaking note on my plates or something and leave me alone! I'm going to get a set of cameras and start recording this crap so I can make bank at some point. This is getting ridiculous.

I barely like cops to begin with and y'all aren't helping to improve that at all. Follow the law and stop pulling violations out of your ass please.

Thank you. (To the good cop out there, please ignore this and please police your coworkers to keep your profession out of the mud.)

If it is happening that often I would be pissed too.  The reason they also run your DL is that Tag is only associated with the registered person, so just because the tag comes back clean doesn't mean the driver is clean.  Think of a stolen car.

With that said, I would start keeping track of each and every stop.  Is it in one area, same PD, officer, etc.  If you really aren't doing anything wrong it will only be your word against theirs.  I would start with complaints to the PD's involved.  Be polite.  Acting like an ass will only get you worse treatment (not saying you are, but try to avoid it, I know it is easy to get pissed, but it never helps).

Edited by Hozzie

"OK. Here's the question. When a LEO runs your plates.....can they not see that you have a CDL, carry permit, armed guard license, any outstanding tickets or warrants? Do they have to actually run your drivers license number to find out all that stuff?"

Your plate provides information about the vehicle,namely who owns it,and where they reside or are based out of.typically cant see anything else.Have to run a diff check to do more or get other driver info.A DL number provides a gateway to plenty,it all depends on what the officer wants to know and runs...usually your name and date of birth works as well.....

Always remember without ID you can be anyone! Hope this helps

As the others have said, running a license plate only returns information about the vehicle the tag is registered to.  If the tag number has been entered as a stolen tag, stolen vehicle, etc., that info will also show up.  The officer will then run the DL of the driver and perhaps occupants.  I'm not sure how Tennessee is set up, but in Florida, you had to specifically query for a carry permit.  It's been almost a decade since I worked in Kentucky, but I'm pretty certain the carry permit info automatically comes up with a DL check.  The driving record and license class/status should come up automatically.  Wanted status would only come up if your name was specifically entered as wanted and most warrants are not entered into the state or federal databases (there's just too many of them).  

Although I am empathetic to your complaints, a "California stop" is technically a violation.  I used to stop people for it all the time when I worked night shift because drunk drivers regularly roll through stop signs.  

• Like 1

California Stop is still breaking the law. You could, oh I don't know, stop? Just a suggestion... As to your other plights I understand. I dealt more with the Miami-Dade police in six months than I have with Cookeville PD in 27 years on this earth. At one point we were pulled over because our vehicle description (red sports car, YEAH, awesome vehicle description in Florida...) matched that of someone who was burglarizing and sexually assaulting women at this particular mall. We had our Carmax shirts still on and we're trying to tell them we were just on lunch break, lol. It ended after they uncuffed us and apologized and by how fast they got out of dodge after uncuffing, there could have been some reprimands all around but they way I see it in this particular case, these guys were just trying to catch some bad dudes doing some VERY BAD SHITE.

I'm so tired of getting pulled over for frivolous crap like california stops, being told I was speeding when I was not, or some other made up crap.

Just because I drive a twenty five year old hoop-dee that looks like a crackhead's car doesn't mean they need to fish for something that is nonexistent just to do nothing but waste my time and give me a warning.

Frivolous crap is how you catch people with drugs, warrants and revoked licenses. You said it yourself; you are being profiled because of your car. Time to trade. biggrin.gif

Could be worse; they could be writing you every time they stop you to look in your car.

• Like 3
I appreciate everyone's input. That sheds some light on the situation. Very helpful.

I do stop completely. I drive a standard and let the car roll backwards a bit after I stop completely. I always have. I'm not complaining about getting pulled over for something I did. I'm complaining because I know for a fact I am not doing what they are accusing. I am OCD about this kind of stuff.

Thank you all for responding.
I had a 91 Cadillac brogham and was pulled over regularly. So much that I went and spoke to the chief of police (who I knew on a personal level) he admitted the stops were based on profiling and assured me he would tell his officers to back off. I sold the car and got a Hyundai. I have not been pulled over since. My buddy who bought the car. ..not so much. He was pulled over twice the first week he had it.
I have the utmost respect for police, but I wished that after the first three or four stops they would have remembered me and avoided all the hassle.

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

I can offer some advice, and you can do with it what you like.

When I was a teen, I drove a very nice looking 67 Chevy II Nova. It sounded like a race car. I also drove a Corvette some. I loved the cars, but they drew attention. I don't care for attention. They also drew the polices' attention. I never cared much for them either.

As I grew up, I put these pieces together. I sorta miss classic cars, but I now drive more non descript vehicles, and have noticed police never give a second glance no matter where I am or when I'm there.

I haven't seen your car, but I'm betting it is an attention grabber for one reason or another.

If this is the case, it is sort of like a girl with pink hair and a tattoo on her forehead that gets upset when people stare at her. Whadda you expect?

If you don't like attention, don't drive a car that draws attention.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2
Guest ochretoe

Log the stops and departments, like said before.  Get some info and go to the departments.  Try to get a letter from a chief or duty sarge to give the offending officer, that tells them you have been stopped a bunch before and you are good person and not a scroge.  The cameras are also a good idea.  I stopped a guy three times in a month and felt like crap the third time.  Next time I saw him we joked about it,

"OK. Here's the question. When a LEO runs your plates.....can they not see that you have a CDL, carry permit, armed guard license, any outstanding tickets or warrants? Do they have to actually run your drivers license number to find out all that stuff?"
 ]

No! I have to specifically ask for a cross reference to the RO of he vehicle or I copy and past your info from one page to another.
Something else, when a plate is called in at some places they only record it and not actually check it. If the officer request it they will give the status on the return. The reason I was told is it was costing too much for all the stops to get ran. I am serious, I worked at one of these places.

Wow. What are you driving?

j/k lol

Roflmao all I can say is he better have a freezer in there WITHOUT a body in it lol
On another note one would laugh at why some kidnapper/ bugs bunny/hot chick driven cars Don't get pulled over.... Too much to list. But if it walks like a duck.....or commits a violation.... Edited by Dustbuster

Roflmao all I can say is he better have a freezer in there WITHOUT a body in it lol
On another note one would laugh at why some kidnapper/ bugs bunny/hot chick driven cars Don't get pulled over.... Too much to list. But if it walks like a duck.....or commits a violation....

"Bugs bunny driven car?"
A bugs bunny car can be some pos thats held together with decals, gum and artwork made w krylon paint on the trunk it just reads I have no insurance,non valid tags and my dog ate my license after we robbed another trailer 5 minutes before we was pulled over for dumping our ashtray out the window in a school zone.....ad nauseum.the stop starts w " hey dude why'd you stop me? I'm on my way to deliver a baby and I'm in a rush !

Something a true character drives. Bugs bunny car.
Guest TankerHC

When I moved to Colorado I had a red 60 something Triumph something or nother, little sportscar convertable that was really a POS but kept getting stopped, on post and off. When it blew up, I bought a 79(I think) Honda CVCC. It was primer grey, had a 4 cylinder engine and a 3 speed manual transmission and had a back seat that no one I knew could fit in. Top speed was around 58 MPH unless I added my gear then it was around 51 MPH. With the CVCC I never got stopped, ever.

I think you have a car problem, my suggestion? Buy a 1979 Honda CVCC.

If not here are some other viable solutions:

1980 something Plymouth Reliant

1980(s) Yugo 45

Or you could go really high end and get you an 84 Cadillac Cimmaron.

I would also like to note that any of these cars would be great cars for any of the single guys on here who wish to remain celibate.

Edited by TankerHC

Something else, when a plate is called in at some places they only record it and not actually check it. If the officer request it they will give the status on the return. The reason I was told is it was costing too much for all the stops to get ran. I am serious, I worked at one of these places.

I know this may not be true for all departments, but all the cops I know down in Florida run tags on the computer in their car. My cousin, for example, works in the ghetto and just runs tags all night looking for a hit so he can interdict drug traffickers and get guys who have warrants out on them. He says what the dealers do is have cars registers in the name of a female family member or girlfriend who doesn't have a criminal record.

So it is a matter of profiling, however he says its pretty strict in regard to PC for a stop. They have to commit a moving violation, have an expired registration or warrants out on the person it's registered to.

Best bet is ( like others have said before me) is to trade in the "Hoopdy" for a less conspicuois vehicle.

Misjudging a person by their choice in vehicles is all to common. ( Mine gets mistaken for a UC vehicle all the time).