M'boro police dept. gets mine resistant, armored military truck from DOD.

Okay so they showed this on channel 2 news this morning and paraded about like this is a good thing. Why just get an armored truck like Wells Fargo uses or even that beast the the sheriffs dept. has when you can go ahead and get one that's ready to take over the town?
Now I don't place much stock in all the jazz like "they are getting this to get ready for martial law" or " homeland security is involved and is planning to use the truck to come and take our guns" BUT...... I do know enough about the human race to know that, if these men have this at their disposal, it WILL get used. Maybe they'll save it for a couple newsworthy events so they can show everyone how "this armored truck saved so many lives" BUT, Murfreesboro doesn't have many events that would even come close to needing this truck, so, how long do you think it will take for them to get tired of staring at it and waiting for an event to happen before their patience runs out and they start using it for other things? Things like going by to pick up a DUI offender that violated probation or to just starts driving it all over town for people to see.
The truck is from the dept. of defense and is for helping our fighting men and women survive IED's and RPG's and what not. Most off our people overseas and even riding around in one of these things and to me that's begs the question, why do they need that and how great is the potential for misuse and/or abuse?

You need to read how the DOD bought way too many and is looking at offloading them or blow them in place. As much as I hate it to say, why not, better way to spend my tax dollars that leaving that in some 3rd world country for some yahoo that's probably going to hate us for the rest of his life or have him sell it off to one of our so called friends.. 

You need to read how the DOD bought way too many and is looking at offloading them or blow them in place. As much as I hate it to say, why not, better way to spend my tax dollars that leaving that in some 3rd world country for some yahoo that's probably going to hate us for the rest of his life or have him sell it off to one of our so called friends..

That's assuming the DOD is gonna pony up and send any significant amount of them back to the states. Doesn't look like that's gonna happen.
Guest 6.8 AR

No, the police departments are letting some of this Obama stimulus go to their heads and forgetting who really pays the bills.

I saw a wierd looking police truck in Clarksville at Exit 11, yesterday. I thought it might have been one of those TVA cops, but,

after getting a good look at it, it was Homeland Security. First one I've seen.

All this stuff is just ridiculous. Why are we letting our government look like the Stazi, more and more?

I know the logistical issue pretty well. The only reason that they would consider blowing them in place is if it was going to cost more than they are worth to bring them home. So for your tax dollar to good use theory is missing a component. Say the military went ahead and payed well over the vehicles value to bring it home (there's more tax dollars spent) and then give it to the police dept. All they've done is spend more of our money and the only people happy about it are the guys in the police dept. that get to use it. Which brings me back to.... If they are excited to have it, they will be excited to use it!
  • Like 1

No, the police departments are letting some of this Obama stimulus go to their heads and forgetting who really pays the bills.

I saw a wierd looking police truck in Clarksville at Exit 11, yesterday. I thought it might have been one of those TVA cops, but,

All this stuff is just ridiculous. Why are we letting our government look like the Stazi, more and more?

Everyone needs to start raising hell if they aren't already but that won't happen until they start snatching people up I'm afraid. Most people have the "we're in the USA so that kinda stuff could never happen here" mentality and they don't notice a little step closer here and there. I imagine one day it will be perfectly clear to everyone but will it be to late at that point?
  • Like 1

Also I saw two Homeland Secuity vehicles here in Murfreesboro about 5-6 months ago I saw them 1- 1 1/2 weeks apart from each other. They weren't on the interstate either, one was about half a mile from MTSU headed towards it and the other was on the same road about 2 1/2 miles away from campus. Was there someone of interest there? We're they just cruising? Maybe lost and trying to find their way to the mosque? Who knows... I think that worries me as much as anything, we're all expected to live with them patrolling and spying amongst us but we aren't ever given a reason (that's not blatant enough that Ray Charles could see it).
Just to be fair and in full disclosure, they couldn't give me a good enough reason for almost everything they do, so as long as we have to constantly be concerned about what kinda crap Homeland Security (and the whole government for that matter) is pulling I for one will not be okay with any of it.
Guest 6.8 AR

I wouldn't presume to know what they are doing, but I do know there is no amount of PR they could do to tell me they

have any place in our government. Usually, a bad guy gets dealt with with what was already around. I have never

understood the reason for their existence. the more the government adds layers to our so-called security, in this

country, the more it seems that they do their so-called job poorly. Having all these layers of authority is becoming

quite a burden and is shameful.

Whoever dropped the ball in the Boston bombing should a recent enough of an example of that, rather than probably

making pressure cookers illegal as an end result. "When government grows, freedom dies."

I wouldn't presume to know what they are doing, but I do know there is no amount of PR they could do to tell me they
have any place in our government. Usually, a bad guy gets dealt with with what was already around. I have never
understood the reason for their existence. the more the government adds layers to our so-called security, in this
country, the more it seems that they do their so-called job poorly. Having all these layers of authority is becoming
quite a burden and is shameful.

Whoever dropped the ball in the Boston bombing should a recent enough of an example of that, rather than probably
making pressure cookers illegal as an end result. "When government grows, freedom dies."

EXACTLY!
Multiple layers are not only huge wastes of our tax dollars but more importantly, when you have multiple groups tasked with the same job one will decide the others can pull the boring weight all the while freeing up plenty of time and assets to use to strip us of a little more freedom with each passing moment. That sounds bad huh? Well what it didn't address was the other groups aren't doing the proper work either because they think group one is doing it so now they're out creating mischief as well.
It's a vicious cycle to say they least.

Just as important to note is this vehicle was aquired at no cost to the city other than they are now responsible for maintenance. 

If your worried about them from a SHTF point i can teach you how to destroy one with a couple dollars worth of stuff in just a few minutes

Guest 6.8 AR

Just as important to note is this vehicle was aquired at no cost to the city other than they are now responsible for maintenance. 

If your worried about them from a SHTF point i can teach you how to destroy one with a couple dollars worth of stuff in just a few minutes

Not remotely true. You and I paid for that waste of money. The local government, say, city of Clarksville, will raise taxes

to maintain and fuel that vehicle. There is always a cost. Until you go to a truly communist based system. Then, you will

see what happens their way. Look at the demise of the cold war and what happened to Soviet Russia. They, all of a

sudden, realized what happens when the rest of the world runs one way, and they couldn't survive their own game.

How is not remotely true i said they would have to cover the maintenance.  Fuel is part of maintaining the thing.  I never once said that there was no cost whatsoever.   Just that they aquired it without having to pay the cost of the vehicle itself.  They are only responsible for maintenance.

Guest 6.8 AR

Well, maybe I could have worded it better. Not as much of an argument as it is a redefining of how it was acquired.

Anything and everything has cost, from the beginning to the end. That's all I meant. Sorry about that.

Hmm ...

It almost makes you wonder if the DOD over-purchased on purpose, so they would have extra to redistribute to local agencies and it would look like a "mistake." 

:tinfoil: :tinfoil:

I used that particular MRAP in Iraq. It's called a "Caymen (spelling?), believe they're made by Osh Kosh.

It's nothing to worry about any how. They're slow, large turn radius and when the computers go out it'll likely cost a good bit and if the A/C goes out in the summer, well, lets just say "sauna". Plus it has weaknesses.

On a side note, the cayman always made me think of WW2 German half tracks, wierd?

How is not remotely true i said they would have to cover the maintenance. Fuel is part of maintaining the thing. I never once said that there was no cost whatsoever. Just that they aquired it without having to pay the cost of the vehicle itself. They are only responsible for maintenance.

While they may not have layed down cash as a purchase cost, it has already and will continue to be a great cost. Figure the $ the Gov spent to purchase and transport to? and how much the gov spent to bring it back so that they could "give" it to MPD and now there's maintenance and fuel that never would have been burned if it had never been "given" to MPD. And all that will likely pail in comparison to the 1st lawsuit that will come from a Leo getting a little to excited in their new tactical vehicle.
There is no reason for local law enforcement to be cruising around in something like this. I understand that it came at a much lesser charge than word another option but the citizens of Murfreesboro that fund all of MPD employee's aren't doing so to me overlooked and intimidated. My guess is that this truck WILL be misused sooner or later and I hope it doesn't end badly for someone.
  • Like 1

Another "Bearcat". I remember hearing about one city in NH approved the purchase of one ( even after much public outcry). The only thing is, these "armored vehicles" are to be allowed access by the feds if and when a natural or man-made disaster strikes the area.

Govt: Here we are going to help you ( city) pay for an armored vehicle to be used by your PD. Only stipulation is, when we need to use it in your area, we are granted it.

The city(s) won't usually question the "free" or discounted "tank" as some politicians like to call it. Much like the states don't want to turn down the Federal monies granted to them.

It's kinda like making a deal with the devil. At first it looks like it will be beneficial for you until you get to the "fine print" down the line. Sometimes these "great" deals don't end up being so hot.  No pun intended.

I don't see a problem with these being owned by large PDs or county Sheriffs.  I like the idea that officers have complete ballistic protection moving up to a target, such as a building during an armed standoff.  Could it be abused?  Well of course.  Lots of stuff can be abused.  I would say the power to arrest you and throw you in jail is much more scary than a rolling bullet/fire magnet which the department will use once a year.  Meanwhile, those crazy bastards are out throwing people in jail.... every day!!!

I can understand why smaller departments having this is silly, but if they don't have any departments in the region with that capability I could understand that.  Cops have inherently dangerous jobs, and I don't mind them having the tools needed to keep them safe, so long as they aren't violating anyone's rights or laws while doing so.  Having a scary vehicle isn't violating anyone's rights.  But yes, they could abuse it, use it incorrectly in order to justify it's existence or crash it into a preschool due to poor training.  Yes, those things could happen.  A citizen could also take his AR15 down to the local elementary school and kill two dozen children.  I don't condone taking everyone's AR15s away just because it "might" be used incorrectly.

If anyone in the tin foil hat crowd is worried about these being used to subject the population under Obama once he suspends free elections, declares martial law, throws half the population into FEMA camps all for the sake of his master Lucifer who commands that all be done in the name of the New World Order military industrial complex Free Mason Illuminati Super-Drone Skynet, then fear not.  You can destroy these with fire.  They have big flammable tires and a poor fire suppression system.  They can be defeated by a water bottle filled with laundry soap and gasoline.

• Like 1