S&W Shield notice

I just received this via email from one of our distributors.

Not sure what the issue is but thought I would pass it along to you all.

To All Smith & Wesson Customers: 
Smith & Wesson is in the process of announcing a Safety Alert relating to the lower trigger on M&P Shield pistols.  We should be in a position to provide you with more details as to the scope of the affected pistols in a few days.  In the meantime, please stop all sales and shipments of M&P Shield pistols pending further notice.  We appreciate your assistance in ensuring that the products we provide to customers meet our high standards for quality and safety.

My April '12 9mm model checks out fine.  :up:

My confidence however, is another matter.  This recall/"safety alert" BS is just becoming way too common among new models. 

A byproduct of highly accelerated product development cycles.  The manufacturers are under such pressure to get the product to market quickly, they don't have time to work out all the bugs.  Been there, done that (doing it right now, actually).

Based on that description, it sounds like they've identified potential for there to be some molding flash or a burr on the lower trigger that could make it stick. 

I agree Garufa, I wont be carrying mine for a while.

Don't get me wrong.  I still have full faith in mine, just tired of hearing about problems with new guns.  Manufacuturers really need to stop using the public for testing and put these expensive weapons through every conceivable test before being so eager to put the newest whiz-bang out on the market.

Maybe we need an Underwriters Laboratories for the gun world.

• Like 1

I understand what is sticking to cause this , but when they say it may be at risk of firing if its dropped then are they saying that the gun may fire if the trigger is hit  or is caught on something durring the drop ? Or is it somethig else ?

• 2 weeks later...

My Shield is good to go . It has a test fired date of July 2013 . But if this recall is what I think it is for,  then it should be still good if your finger is off of the trigger unless ready to fire,  then it's still good. This "may fire if dropped" thing to me sounds like it will only fire if the trigger is pulled while the lower trigger part is stuck back. This to me is a simple and not so bad thing compared to other recalls. 

• 1 month later...