Ran over a Yellow Jacket nest while push mowing today

It is a damn big one too. They got me at least 12 times before I got them off me. By the time I felt the first sting there were at least 20 of them hooked onto my blue jeans. They chased me from my very back yard all the way to the front porch. I got stung by them the last couple times I mowed, but it was just one each time so I didn't know where they were nested. Needless to say, I know where they are now.

I would call an exterminator, but this is personal. I am going to enjoy killing every last one of those little bastards. I'm trying to think of some creative ideas for my assault. I wouldn't mind pouring a gallon of gas into the hole and blowing it up. I could derive great satisfaction from the mushroom cloud and coinciding devastation. I'm still mulling that one over.

As of now, the plan is to attack late tomorrow night at around 1:00AM. I'm thinking I will pour gasoline into the hole and seal off the entrance with foaming wasp killer. That way, they can't get away and the vapor will finish them off. My main worry is that they'll charge as soon as I start pouring gas into their hole. I don't want them to get one last piece of me before I plug it.

Any other ideas?
  • Like 3

Tannerite!! :) Glad you're okay, or not hurt worse I should say. I'd say your plan will work if they don't sense your movement as you start your attack. Hope you kill all of'm!

That's what I am worried about. It's a huge nest & they are lightning fast. I know they can't see well at night, so I'm hoping that if they do charge I can abort my counter attack & get away without being pursued.

That's what I am worried about. It's a huge nest & they are lightning fast. I know they can't see well at night, so I'm hoping that if they do charge I can abort my counter attack & get away without being pursued.

Hey, you have an old screen? You could lay it on top of the hole really fast and pour the gas through it. Screen would keep them from getting to you.
  • Like 3
We have a huge problem with them on my family land. In the past four years I've taken out roughly two dozen nests.

I've never been attacked while removing a nest, and some of them were big enough to give me nightmares. I suggest a gallon or so of gas and a decent size rock over the hole. Just make 100% sure there is only one hole.

Usually I would do it around 11p.m. I always wore thick jeans, a leather jacket and gloves just in case it went south. I've been swarmed enough times while mowing and such to take precautions.

Good luck.
  • Like 1
Yikes! I've had that happen before, a gallon of gasoline (do not ignite!) Will kill the nest off.

If it makes you feel any better you're not the only one suffering at the moment, I sat on a fire-ant nest last night, while wearing only my skivvies, earned myself 9 stings/bites in places you don't want to know about!

Interesting reading about these little boogers.  They never return to the same nest in the following year, and the idiot who wrote the article thought to add in "if caught in a nest, don't run because they will follow you as far as 50 yards or more".  I suggest that whoever wrote that one has never been in the middle of a yellow jacket nest in his entire life.  Anyway, as for getting rid of them, just wait until after dark...they should be in their nest by then.  Walk up to the entrance and let 'er rip with at least a half can of wasp killer.  Doesn't matter what brand, the cheapest will do, but I recommend the foaming kind.  

We have a huge problem with them on my family land. In the past four years I've taken out roughly two dozen nests.

I've never been attacked while removing a nest, and some of them were big enough to give me nightmares. I suggest a gallon or so of gas and a decent size rock over the hole. Just make 100% sure there is only one hole.

Usually I would do it around 11p.m. I always wore thick jeans, a leather jacket and gloves just in case it went south. I've been swarmed enough times while mowing and such to take precautions.

Good luck.

^This.   It doesn't even take a gallon. The fumes will work their way down and kill everything. Just put a rock or brick over the hole afterwards and push it down with your shoe so they can't work around the edges.

Edited by jgradyc

It is a damn big one too. They got me at least 12 times before I got them off me. By the time I felt the first sting there were at least 20 of them hooked onto my blue jeans. They chased me from my very back yard all the way to the front porch. I got stung by them the last couple times I mowed, but it was just one each time so I didn't know where they were nested. Needless to say, I know where they are now.

I would call an exterminator, but this is personal. I am going to enjoy killing every last one of those little bastards. I'm trying to think of some creative ideas for my assault. I wouldn't mind pouring a gallon of gas into the hole and blowing it up. I could derive great satisfaction from the mushroom cloud and coinciding devastation. I'm still mulling that one over.

As of now, the plan is to attack late tomorrow night at around 1:00AM. I'm thinking I will pour gasoline into the hole and seal off the entrance with foaming wasp killer. That way, they can't get away and the vapor will finish them off. My main worry is that they'll charge as soon as I start pouring gas into their hole. I don't want them to get one last piece of me before I plug it.

Any other ideas?

Good plan.  That's exactly what I did when I found a nest in exactly the same way last fall.  Thankfully I only got stung a couple times.

If it's reasonably cool out, the yellow jackets will be moving pretty slowly.  A few may get out, but that's about it. 

Don't use a whole gallon.... 1/2 -1 qt should be plenty.  Bear in mind that the gasoline will kill most of the vegetation.  You'll end up with a big brown spot (if that matters to you).  

Just wait until (9 pm) take your flashlight and a about a qt. of gas.

DON'T try to light it, the fireball might do you in. The fumes are very explosive.

Don't light it?!?!  Where's the fun in that?

The explosion is what makes it all worthwhile!

Just drizzle a long trail of gas, light the end of it.

- OS

Amen. 

I'm likely going to hit them tonight. I'm still thinking about using my initial plan of using gasoline & foaming spray, along with a rock to block the entrance. I'll be sure to have the wife standing about 20 feet away with a really bright flashlight. That way, if they do give chase I'll be sure to run right past her. I figure the Yellow Jackets will sting her instead of me.

I may wait until tomorrow night though. My left hand is swollen like a balloon right now. I guess they got me more times than I thought.

I'm kidding about the wife by the way. Edited by Seabeejason
  • Like 1
Dang that sucks man. Ive been attacked by the little hellions like that before when i was about 11 or so. Me and some friends were playing dodgeball. Well i dodged the ball but it turns out yellow jackets arent very good at dodging balls. I cant believe we didnt spot the nest in the ground right next to us. Combined with us kids jumping around beside the nest like kangaroos, and the ball hitting the hole in the ground, we were done for. I think i got hit around 9 or 10 times iirc. Godspeed to you in your battle, make them suffer if you can.

I'm likely going to hit them tonight. I'm still thinking about using my initial plan of using gasoline & foaming spray, along with a rock to block the entrance. I'll be sure to have the wife standing about 20 feet away with a really bright flashlight. That way, if they do give chase I'll be sure to run right past her. I figure the Yellow Jackets will sting her instead of me.

I may wait until tomorrow night though. My left hand is swollen like a balloon right now. I guess they got me more times than I thought.

I'm kidding about the wife by the way.

That's exactly what I did (other than the wife, she stayed inside).  Cup of gas in one hand, spray can in the other, rock next to the hole.  Pour, spray, kick the rock... over in about 5 seconds.  There were no escapees.  :)

I'm kidding about the wife by the way.

Foaming spray and gas should work. I'd definitely light it though... Do you have a bow? Flaming arrow into the vicinity of the gas filled hole would raise the cool factor ;)

BTW, my wife would probably be standing somewhere with a video camera just in case they case me
  • Like 1
Guest Riciticky

I have had this problem several times. Mark nest with a stick or something like that. Use about a half quart of gas. AFTER DARK Pour gas in hole AFTER DARK. No more problem for the year. No need to light it up unless you just want to.

Foam wasp spray works fine without the gas. Spectracide comes with a straw to get down in the hole. I dressed in layers. Scarf around facial orifices and goggles over eyes. Sprayed until foam came out of the hole. No yellow jackets came out. Next day, there were numerous dead yellow jackets near the hole entrance, just inside.

http://www.spectracide.com/Products-and-Solutions/Stinging-Insect-Killers/Spectracide-Carpenter-Bee-and-Ground-Nesting-Yellow-Jacket-Killer-Foaming-Aerosol.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=R6hzoFw5s9c

Around $4.00.

Edited by bubbiesdad

I have them in a big mulch pile.  I would have done them in but they keep the skunks entertained.  Looks like hogs rooting around. Dug up the whole pile in the last month.   

I'll zap them next month to get the remnants.

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Interesting reading about these little boogers. They never return to the same nest in the following year, and the idiot who wrote the article thought to add in "if caught in a nest, don't run because they will follow you as far as 50 yards or more". I suggest that whoever wrote that one has never been in the middle of a yellow jacket nest in his entire life. Anyway, as for getting rid of them, just wait until after dark...they should be in their nest by then. Walk up to the entrance and let 'er rip with at least a half can of wasp killer. Doesn't matter what brand, the cheapest will do, but I recommend the foaming kind.

On the one hand he is correct in that when one stings you it releases pheromones that cause the others to attack.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.