One in the camber???

Also asking seriously... why not in your bedside piece?

Because of the kids in the house. My older ones shoot with me but the younger ones are still on the "don't touch them" course until they get older.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My carry gun is always chambered, it's also my bedside gun and remains chambered. Now I have an 870 close by that I keep the tube full but don't have chambered, but I plan on defending my home with my handgun. There may be a situation where i'll grab the shotgun, it makes me feel better to have it close by anyway.

Edited by K191145

I always carry with one in the chamber and the safety off if the firearm is so equipped, just like I did when I was in law enforcement. Just like Hoot says:

http://youtu.be/bTalnzcO0xk

In all seriousness, I personally do not want to risk being caught with an unchambered firearm when I only have seconds to react.  If one does choose to carry with the weapon unchambered, then they need to practice very religiously with racking the slide before firing.  If you are one of those people who doesn't chamber a round, but doesn't practice chambering a round before every single string of fire - just like drawing from the holster and doing reloads - you are most certainly doomed to pull the trigger on an empty chamber should you need the weapon in a self-defense situation.  In my opinion, if one is that concerned about the safety of keeping a firearm around, they should really re-think their mode of carry and/or storage and/or proficiency.  

• Like 1
Guest Riciticky

The one thing is young children can not chamber a round in a semi with a strong spring (only ones I have). But I can very quickly. It is the best way to know I am almost loaded and the kids are safe if they get around it.  JMO.

$130 for a gunvault is worth the piece of mind. Not to mention a would be thief while I'm not home would have to dismantle the bed and carry a 2x12 out the door with the vault on it.

You must not have seen the video of the 4 year old opening various safes:

Pretty sure there was another but I can't readily find it.

I hear you on those videos, but it's done all wrong.  I guess there are idiots who buy subpar safes, don't actually secure their mini vaults to something solid, or use combinations that are easy to figure out.  But done correctly, it's still a hell of a lot safer than having a loaded gun in the nightstand.  And yes, I consider any gun with a magazine full of ammo in it load regardless if there is one in the pipe.

Clearly staged. Dad has shown the boy how and he's practiced that a lot before being filmed. There's a big difference between a "safe" and a "gun cabinet".

I keep my home defense guns locked, loaded, and locked up. While they are in a cabinet, it would take considerable effort on their part to get into it.

Right... Because every 4 year old has a mini slim jim unlocking tool and people always leave their lock box lying loose on the floor. I like the combination on the first one "1-2-3-4". Very credible demonstration.
  • Like 1

Maybe I am the only person in Tennessee that does this, but I carry with an empty chamber.  My home Defense handgun is also empty chamber.

I have given it a lot of thought, as I am sure you have your method.  I am comfortable with this.

All the more reason to carry on your person while at home. That puts you in complete control of the firearm and in doing so, you can keep a round chambered.

• Like 3
The only time I carry unchambered is if I'm going to be removing and replacing the pistol several times. Like going into and out of posted places or going to work out, etc.

If I'm out and about with the little'un, I certainly keep it chambered. I can't hold a baby or push a stroller to cover with one hand and chamber a round with the other.
  • Like 1

Does anyone think that George Zimmerman would have been able to hold off Trayvon Martin long enough to get the slide racked? 

The empty chamber on the bedside gun is not nearly so alarming. Ideally inside your home you should have some warning (locked doors for them to have to break down between you and them) before having to employ the pistol. On the street, you often do not have that luxury.

At home , unless you leave all the doors open , you waking up to an intruder standing over you is just not likely (unless you had extremely poor planning).  So the nature of the typical home shooting vs the nature of the street assault makes a difference. Getting sucker punched and taken to the ground is a reality of street assaults....so having it chambered when carrying makes infinitely more sense. 

As for me? I have no children in the house whether it is in my holster during the day or on the night stand when I go to bed it stays chambered. It is in a holster during the day AND on the nightstand so I do not have to worry about coming out of a deep sleep and handling a hot gun before I'm awake. But I would not feel significantly handicapped with an empty chamber bedside gun...I however will NOT carry on the street with an empty chamber. 

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke

I live in a small cottage behind my Daughters home. It's just me and an old dog and I have  several hand guns place strategically through out my home. They are not in plain view but still easily accessible in any room. All of them have hot tubes. I don't want to have to load a tube to defend myself. An empty tube in a split second incident is an unloaded gun. The gun I sleep next to is actually in a holster that is attached to the bed and within arms reach which eliminates opening a drawer of a night stand to get my gun. My old dog will give me any warning of someone out side as her hearing is great and will give me plenty of warning should someone want to try and enter my home. My carry weapons also have hot tubes and I don't go to my mail box without a sidearm>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>JMHO

• Like 1