One in the camber???

All this about not keeping one in the chamber because of children in the house is ridiculous. No handgun should ever be accessible to children. If you carry a handgun you're foolish in both instances; not keeping a round in the chamber and leaving any gun accessible to a child. If you think someone is going to allow you the time to rack the slide on your gun to shoot them if you are presented with a situation where it is immediately needed you're a dead man. And if you leave a gun lying around and a child gets a hold of it and either shoots themsef or another child, you'll wish you were dead. I'm sure I'll catch h*^# for this post but seriously! 

• Like 3
Guest theconstitutionrocks

<<<Knows I'm gonna get flamed for this but here goes...

I prefer to carry on an empty chamber and here's why...

I am uber paranoid of a ND and the possibility of injury to myself and innocent bystanders. While this may seem irrational, I don't want to run the risk of accidentally hitting the trigger, "offing" a safety, or even partially cycling the slide when inserting or drawing the weapon from the holster. While anything CAN happen I figure that if I need the weapon so badly that I don't have time to cycle the silde, then I'm just F***** anyway. Situational awareness IS important and I try to maintain it. If I perceive a threat that I feel is genuine, then my "intent" (yeah I know) is to draw, cycle, and go to the low ready while using "no BS" commands to back off.

Also, carry a blade and OC in addition to a firearm...the whole graduated level of force thing.

Guest ddmoit

I wouldn't judge anyone for carrying with an empty chamber.  Do what you think works best for you - and train for it.

Edited by ddmoit
[quote name="hipower" post="1150456" timestamp="1400576845"]Remember the 15 foot "rule" in the knife vs gun scenario? How fast can you draw and rack your gun?[/quote] I'm curious how fast folks think they can draw, rack and accurately fire their weapon. Considering that under two seconds is fast when you have one in the chamber, four to five seconds is probably how long it would take, and I've never seen a drill practiced where the shooter draws, racks then fires. Four to five seconds is a long time. Probably longer than that if you haven't practiced your technique a few thousand times. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Guest ddmoit

Everything is a trade off.  Someone who is unwilling to assume the risk of carrying a chambered gun must concede that they will not fare well in some circumstances.  We all admit that situations where we would need to draw a weapon are pretty rare.  At what point do you assume the risk of carrying a chambered gun?  It's a personal choice.  

[quote name="ddmoit" post="1150474" timestamp="1400589024"]Everything is a trade off. Someone who is unwilling to assume the risk of carrying a chambered gun must concede that they will not fare well in some circumstances. We all admit that situations where we would need to draw a weapon are pretty rare. At what point do you assume the risk of carrying a chambered gun? It's a personal choice. [/quote] You won't fare well in ANY defensive circumstance, not just some. What more risk do you have in actually carrying a firearm with the chamber loaded? If you're doing things as you should, that weapon is zero percent more likely to go off in negligence with a loaded chamber. It's a personal choice, you're right. My personal choice is to have every advantage over anyone that wishes to do myself or my family harm. You can church it up all day, but if you think it's to your advantage to carry with anything but a loaded chamber after the posts here, you're being willfully ignorant. That's all I'm saying
Guest ddmoit

For the record, it's not how I choose to carry.  I'm merely stating that I don't judge someone who chooses differently.  I don't pretend to know what's best for everyone.  May good situational awareness make all of this a moot point. 

I prefer to not assume that both of my hands will be free.

If you carry with an empty chamber, at least practice chambering a round one-handed.

Exactly this. Your left (or right) arm could be holding something, moving people, out of commission, being restrained, trapped, holding you up, holding a wrist which attached to a hand which is holding a long sharp knife, have a dog attached, the list goes on...

I heard it suggested that it is possible to rack the gun against your pants. I don't think that is really feasible. Certainly it seems like a good way to lose your sights.

Edited by tnguy
[quote name="tnguy" post="1150497" timestamp="1400592754"] I heard it suggested that it is possible to rack the gun against your pants. I don't think that is really feasible. Certainly it seems like a good way to lose your sights.[/quote] I have done this just messing around (not the best term to use) off my belt. Not something I would ever want to rely on

It is pretty fast and easy when you're alone on a range, standing square to the target, and drawing whenever you feel ready.

He does do that faster than I expected.

No disagreement. Plus there is a better chance of inducing a malfunction when racking the slide under stress.

On the rare occasion that I carry unchambered, I don't feel unarmed, just less armed.

No disagreement. Plus there is a better chance of inducing a malfunction when racking the slide under stress.

On the rare occasion that I carry unchambered, I don't feel unarmed, just less armed.

You are armed.... with a short club and an "IOU" for a sidearm.   :pleased:

• Like 1

It is pretty fast and easy when you're alone on a range, standing square to the target, and drawing whenever you feel ready.

He does do that faster than I expected.

Just to stir the puddin' a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeIZa-25RaM

It doesn't really take 4-5 seconds to draw,rack and fire. But I'll carry chambered because I may not have two hands available.

Good group!

Put me in the chambered always camp.........................................................but I don't mind what others do.

I've been surprised 3 times working in late night dangerous area situations. Only once was I able to get the firearm in hand. Fortunately none of these street people meant harm. Just amazing how quickly someone can walk up on up when you least expect it.

[quote name="Clod Stomper" post="1150520" timestamp="1400597194"]Just to stir the puddin' a bit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeIZa-25RaM It doesn't really take 4-5 seconds to draw,rack and fire. But I'll carry chambered because I may not have two hands available.[/quote] I'll challenge anyone who carries with the chamber empty to get a first round on a 3 inch dot at 7m in less than 4 seconds. Of course it can be done. Most folks cant do it and the reason why is they don't train to do it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[quote name="TMF" post="1150642" timestamp="1400626939"]I'll challenge anyone who carries with the chamber empty to get a first round on a 3 inch dot at 7m in less than 4 seconds. Of course it can be done. Most folks cant do it and the reason why is they don't train to do it.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote] Not to mention, when you're training, you're not likely suffering an adrenaline dump while in the midst of a possible life and death situation. I don't believe the average person would have the wherewithal to chamber a round if they were to be surprised by an attacker. By the time you got over the shock from what is happening, you could easily be a gonner.
  • Like 2