Pincus suggests verbally warning home invader

Guest confidence

To say " you must give a warning no matter what"  is as foolish as to say "I would never ever give a warning no matter what."   In my opinion.

Everybody has their own take.  This is almost as bad as OC vs CC

• Like 1

Another thing to consider, is firing a warning shot has landed people in jail. Granted, I think this was in public, but the DA used the argument, "if you had the time or opportunity to fire a warning shot, you weren't in imminent danger". 

http://www.newstalkflorida.com/woman-gets-20-years-in-jail-for-firing-warning-shot/

WHAT?!?! This woman was only doing what VP Biden recommended.
Guest Bassman17SC

The fact of the matter is, a home invasion can occur at any time, not just in the middle of the night when everyone is asleep in their bedrooms.  A few years ago, there were a couple of home invasions (IIRC, no one was killed) in my neighborhood during the middle of the day.

My house is a split-level and our bedroom is on the upper level.  However, most of the time, I am on the lower level and my wife is in the bedroom (because we like to watch different television shows).  If someone busts down the front door, the wife and I are caught with the bad guys between us, so to speak.

In that scenario, no, I will not shout out a verbal warning to the bad guys because I will be defending my wife's life as well as mine.  Of course, if there are multiple bad guys and they proceed to both upper and lower levels, then she will be defending herself as well.  My main fear will be for her life, not mine.

The bottom line is that each of us has to determine the defensive response according to the actions of the bad guys in a home invasion scenario.

Guest confidence

Wow. Wasn't expecting that many responses. Honestly, I haven't been able to read them all because I've been pretty busy....As far me, I've always liked Rob Pincus' videos, but don't always agree with him. To each their own. Just be sure you don't do anything that puts your life or your loved-ones lives in further jeopardy just because you wanna be compassionate toward an intruder or don't want a lawsuit. The priority is your family and nothing trumps that in a home intruder situation. Even if you end up in jail (falsely accused, etc.), at least your family is alive.

Edited by confidence

Well here is one more response because I just spent two hours reading the posts in this thread. In my case my family is gone and it is just me and my old dog but my thoughts on what my actions would be on a home invasion in my home have not changed. The intruder or intruders once inside my home which this day in time are for the most part out and out home invasions and not vacant home burglaries there would be zero warning except for the first sound of my gun going off several times at the intruder or intruders. Those that will invade a home today will do bodily harm more often then not and in all to many cases kill anyone in the home. Drugs have changed the way home burglaries as they have become complete home invasions.  With that said I will give no thought as to being sued, only about being killed. I will call 911 if I am able after the smoke clears and the Perps are not breathing. When you really need the police and seconds count they are only minutes away and I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6..............JMHO 

Wow, what a wide range of responses. All I can add is depending on where I am and my wife is (no kids to protect anymore) , I will or will not confront or barricade. My last choice is to clear my house, first choice is baaricade and announce, "armed, calling 911, continue what you're doing at your own peril." This is so situational there are too many "correct" action plans

I'll throw in another topic for discussion. Would you or would you not leave your barricaded room to get to a room that your pets are housed in? My house is setup to where I could leave my room at the end of the hallway and make my way to the room where we keep the dogs at night (sometimes they sleep with us depending on if they've had a bath) without allowing anyone to get behind me or to my bedroom. I myself consider the pets part of the family (although not on the same level as wife and kids) and would attempt to do so unless the bad guys were already in the house and couldn't safely do so. 

I'll throw in another topic for discussion. Would you or would you not leave your barricaded room to get to a room that your pets are housed in? My house is setup to where I could leave my room at the end of the hallway and make my way to the room where we keep the dogs at night (sometimes they sleep with us depending on if they've had a bath) without allowing anyone to get behind me or to my bedroom. I myself consider the pets part of the family (although not on the same level as wife and kids) and would attempt to do so unless the bad guys were already in the house and couldn't safely do so.

Yep, I wouldn't leave my pets to the whim of an intruder. Once again, I don't have a choice but to engage an intruder since I have kids in the house, but if it were the dogs I would certainly intervene for their well being. I value the lives of my dogs over the lives of a person who invades my home.

Yep, I wouldn't leave my pets to the whim of an intruder. Once again, I don't have a choice but to engage an intruder since I have kids in the house, but if it were the dogs I would certainly intervene for their well being. I value the lives of my dogs over the lives of a person who invades my home.

Careful! Anything you say may be used against you.

Careful! Anything you say may be used against you.

Meh, my dogs stay in my room anyway. Not that it matters, since I HAVE to intervene since my kids' rooms are on the other side of the house, so barricading myself and letting my kids deal with the armed intruders on their own is not an option. If someone comes into my house they are going to be carried out.
  • Like 1

Fine by me......and I don't blame you one bit......but try and make sure I'm on the jury. Problem is anymore, the jury generally is not made up of your peers.

At some point we all have committed to defending our family's life with deadly force if the need arises. I'm not afraid to say that; it's the truth. In fact, there are even laws which support it. I'd be worried about it if I lived in New York.

Once again, not too concerned with a home invasion anyway. My neighborhood has yet to have one, they'd have a 135 db alarm screaming at them as soon as they breached with the knowledge that CPD will be there soon. Add on to that they would have an attack dog attempting or succeeding in ripping an arm off. There are many layers of security.

My hounds will give a louder and more agressive warning than I am able to give.  Hopefully that will enough warning for a criminal to find an easier victim.  100% of salespeople have decided to go down the street rather than meet my dogs face to face.

If one stops to think about 1 thing more we all have an advantage over the intruders and that is only if they don't know you and have never been in your home. It is like everything else. You do have home field advantage. I have a buddy that made what I call a great move a few years back. He had a power kill switch placed in the master bedroom and can kill all power to any lighting in his home and that gives him real home field advantage. He also has night vision equipment. This was done because he lives in the country and wanted total advantage. He is getting ready to add sound devices that will only sound in certain rooms when turned on letting him know and entry of attempted entry has been made. A few of my buddies said he is paranoid. I said there is a difference between being paranoid and just being smart and I think he is just being careful about protecting his family and home.........JMHO

Maybe it's because I've been through a few rounds of pets but they are expendable to my mind. That probably sounds more callous than it is, our dog is definitely important but not anywhere near my family nor my ability to provide for them.

With that said, the dog sleeps with a member of the family so it's pretty much a wash anyway.

If one stops to think about 1 thing more we all have an advantage over the intruders and that is only if they don't know you and have never been in your home. It is like everything else. You do have home field advantage. I have a buddy that made what I call a great move a few years back. He had a power kill switch placed in the master bedroom and can kill all power to any lighting in his home and that gives him real home field advantage. He also has night vision equipment. This was done because he lives in the country and wanted total advantage. He is getting ready to add sound devices that will only sound in certain rooms when turned on letting him know and entry of attempted entry has been made. A few of my buddies said he is paranoid. I said there is a difference between being paranoid and just being smart and I think he is just being careful about protecting his family and home.........JMHO

One thing this thread did make me think of was the possibility of a remote device that would do the calling out. Then even if it doesn't deter them, you still haven't given your location away.

Also if you're going down that path is the possibility of extremely bright lights to destroy the goblins' night vision.

Edited by tnguy