Computer Help Needed

I'm going to make this as to the point as possible.

Started with a factory HP desktop with windows 7. Decided to up grade. Only things (as far as I know) that's still factory are the DVD player and hard drive. New motherboard is MSI.

A fellow TGOer hooked me up with a great deal on upgrading my PC, but it didn't take me long to royally screw it up.

I got home and began messing with it, but noticed an issue with downloading Google Chrome. Was receiving an error message that mentioned something about my profile not being able to be opened correctly. My first mistake was trying to fix this issue.

I watched some YouTube videos about this issue, then began following the directions to the best of my less than stellar ability. This is where things get even worse.

I began making changes to things that I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have. The next few hours was a blur. Now for the biggest mistake.

I decided that I'd just try to use the System Image disks (7 of them) that I created when first purchasing the PC a few years ago. I think I killed it.

Upon rebooting, I get the MSI screen, but Windows will not boot. The "system" decided to take a shot at fixing itself, followed by an attempted factory system image. Doesn't appear said system is much smarter than myself.

I then decided to run the Windows 7 Update disk, but how am I supposed to do that if Windows won't boot?

I was able to Google some info, and was told to set it up so that the DVD drive would boot first. As you can see from the picture below, I got that far, but now I am stuck. I don't know what to do next.

I want to start over from as close to factory (Windows 7) as possible. There's nothing on here that I need saving, so I basically want everything to be wiped clean.

I have never done this, so I need advice that includes step-by-step instructions.

The Windows 7 Update disk is in, and this is what my screen looks like.

2yco.jpg

Well on second thought, if you've installed a different mobo and other parts it will try to install the original factory drivers, and they wont be for the right hardware.  May not want to do that unless you are fine with installing the correct ones once the formatting is done,

Edited by Metalhead

Well on second thought, if you've installed a different mobo and other parts it will try to install the original factory drivers, and they wont be for the right hardware.  May not want to do that unless you are fine with installing the correct ones once the formatting is done,

He gave me two disks. One is labeled MSI Firmware & Software, and the other is .Net Framework Download Manager. Not sure if that helps.

If all it is is the mobo, once it formats and installs windows 7 you should be able to pop in the MSI cd and install the drivers off it.

Also, when system recovery pops up, the screen will look like this http://res1.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/windows%207/main/66b9e3c2-bb67-47bf-802c-b753b54bcc19_48.jpg. pick system restore and you should have a list similar to the one you posted, and pick the restore partition. It will take care of things from there.

Don't use the disc, if you want to do that. Boot the computer and start mashing the F8 key to enter advanced boot options, and pick windows recovery. I'm not familiar with using the install disc for windows.

I'm thinking I tried that. After that, it would boot the MSI screen, and as soon as windows would try to boot, it would go straight to the Windows Error Recovery Screen. Then I clicked "Start Windows Normally". Then "Starting Windows" and the colored balls popped up for a second. Then it took me back to the Windows Error Recovery Screen. That's all it will do.

If all it is is the mobo, once it formats and installs windows 7 you should be able to pop in the MSI cd and install the drivers off it.

Also, when system recovery pops up, the screen will look like this http://res1.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/windows%207/main/66b9e3c2-bb67-47bf-802c-b753b54bcc19_48.jpg. pick system restore and you should have a list similar to the one you posted, and pick the restore partition. It will take care of things from there.

You're starting to lose me. From the screen pictured above, what do I need to do?

It will be a screen similar to the one you chose to pick to start windows normally. If you start mashing F8 asap as the computer turns on it shouldn't even start trying to boot into windows. Sometimes if the computer crashes it will ask you that question, but you wont have all of the boot options that F8 will give you. If that makes sense. I know what I'm doing with a computer, but I'm awful at explaining things, if you couldn't tell haha.

It will be a screen similar to the one you chose to pick to start windows normally. If you start mashing F8 asap as the computer turns on it shouldn't even start trying to boot into windows. Sometimes if the computer crashes it will ask you that question, but you wont have all of the boot options that F8 will give you. If that makes sense. I know what I'm doing with a computer, but I'm awful at explaining things, if you couldn't tell haha.

I have it set to boot the DVD first. DO I need to go back in and change that?

Ehh, I would, but you might not have to. Just try mashing F8 as soon as the computer turns on first. And by mash I mean keep hitting it as fast as you can until you get the boot options screen. Though I guess now would be a good time to do it, since you'll have to anyway later.

Edited by Metalhead

Looks like 

No. It will just go to the next thing in line if it doesn't find a boot disk in the DVD drive. You should have created new image disks after you changed the motherboard and got it working.

Well that's strange. Since you have the windows disc you can follow those three steps to achieve the same thing. Other than that I dunno off the top of my head without having it in front of me. I mean, worse comes to worse you can always drop it by the shop and I can take a look at it in the end if you are still down the road in Springfield.