Computer Help Needed

Guest Lester Weevils

How do I know if the drivers for all of the aftermarket hardware are installed and up to date?

If it has installed sufficient drivers that you can get online with your new mobo, if it was me I'd run windows update (perhaps multiple times) until it reports that no more updates are available. Snag both the recommended updates and the optional hardware-specific updates.

I personally would trust that more than trying to install drivers from the mobo install CD (if you are installed good enough that windows update can get online).

Most likely there are a bunch of updates that need installing since your install DVD was printed, and most likely there are more-recent mobo specific drivers of which windows update is aware, than what is available on your mobo driver cd.

Depending on your internet speed and how "out of date" the discs are, it might take a few hours but you don't have to do much except repeatedly run windows update until it runs dry of things to update. If the install CD's are pretty old, then it will have to update one slew of stuff, before it is in a state to notice that there is yet another slew of things that need updating, and in a state where the second or third layer of updates will "stick" without breaking the system.

If it has installed sufficient drivers that you can get online with your new mobo, if it was me I'd run windows update (perhaps multiple times) until it reports that no more updates are available. Snag both the recommended updates and the optional hardware-specific updates.

I personally would trust that more than trying to install drivers from the mobo install CD (if you are installed good enough that windows update can get online).

Most likely there are a bunch of updates that need installing since your install DVD was printed, and most likely there are more-recent mobo specific drivers of which windows update is aware, than what is available on your mobo driver cd.

Depending on your internet speed and how "out of date" the discs are, it might take a few hours but you don't have to do much except repeatedly run windows update until it runs dry of things to update. If the install CD's are pretty old, then it will have to update one slew of stuff, before it is in a state to notice that there is yet another slew of things that need updating, and in a state where the second or third layer of updates will "stick" without breaking the system.

Yeah, the first batch of 149 updates are being installed now.

I hope this works for you. If it doesn't, you could forget Windows and go to Linux Mint 15. I upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 8 and hated it.  I decided to see how Linux had progressed since the last time I tried it five years ago.

Linux Mint 15 is a great operating system, provided that you aren't into gaming. It comes with LibreOffice preloaded, so no need for Microsoft Office. It's free. It doesn't need much RAM. It works great on older systems. I'm running Linux Mint 14 on my old Dell (maybe 8 years old) with no problems. Linux Mint 15 is on this laptop... a Toshiba L505.

I will second linux as an alternative to windows, but not linux mint. The creator of mint chooses to use his product as a political soapbox so I have chosenvto not support it.

Understand however, going the route of Linux may be just as frustrating if you aren't willing to be part of the solution to your problems. Any new system will require some getting used to.

hth

I don't really care much about the political opinions of the people who make the tools I use.  I use Linux Mint, and I carry a Leatherman.  I even watch Turner Classic Movies (TCM).  I can't boycott everyone I disagree with - then I'm just punishing myself.

By the way, Leatherman's warranty sucks.  :D

I NEVER use a driver CD unless I just can't get online, and then, only so I can get online and find the freshest ones. A lot of companies release buggy stuff, and clean it up later. Windows is a good example.

OP, reading your posts reminded me why so many despise Winblows. I know I'm beating a dead horse but if you have the means, MACS are definitely the way to go. Since they are Intel based, just about all of the software that works on Winblows will work on MAC. The learning curve is not steep because everything just "works". And if you ever decided to use Winblows again, MAC allows you to partition your hard drive so you can install Winblows and dual boot into either one. In fact, it pretty much holds your hand in the process. Maybe one day you will post on how great your new Apple is. Best of luck Sent from my GSIII using TPR 3.17 Edited by blueghost