The best and most accurate .22 LR rifle ??

itw69fxst

I don't know how much accuracy you want.  Both of the pictured guns are sub 1/4" at 25 and near that at 50.  These are not BR guns that cost 5-10K.  I gave away an unfired Kimber 82C Stainless Classic Oregon made and that one might have been my most accurate rifle.   But I thought a budding young gunsmith could make something of it.  I have shot Anschutz 54 actioned rifles and Win 52s, but they are not "fun" for me.  Anyway if you want a fun gun I suggest the combination of stock and barrels pictured are pretty "fun."  My new "thing" is shooting saltine crackers at 200 yards and both these rifles can do that easily over and over.  Shooting at 25 or 50 yards is just not that much fun with these.  The real issue is availability of decent ammo for these.  I actually traded a .22 rifle for CCI SV ammo a couple of months ago.

One of my shooting and 1022 buddies suggested I make my own pair of 1022 Green Mountain Heavy Taper "Twins."  Top one was put together by another shooting buddy and the bottom one by me.  I traded for the top one and traded into the barrel, stock, trigger for the bottom one.

Top:  Scope is Mueller APT 4.5-14x40; barrel GM HT SS, OEM receiver, custom trigger 1.75lbs, Ruger DSP stock.

Bottom: Scope is Simmons Whitetail 6.5-20x50; barrel GM HT Blue; OEM receiver, custom trigger 2.25lbs, Ruger DSP stock.  

Top one will be my 100 yard gun; bottom one will be set up for 200 yards.  I know the barrelled action of this one is an easy 2" at 200. The top one is about a .6-.7" gun at 100 yards.

[url=http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/ch8156/media/HarringtonTwins_zps090321da.jpg.html]HarringtonTwins_zps090321da.jpg[/URL]

Edited by graycrait

The difference between a Savage and a CZ is the feel, not the accuracy. Both shoot as well as the other but the Savage doesn't have the same, high quality feel a CZ does.

Quite true.  The crafsmanship of the CZ is definitely superior.  Sadly, I have never shot one.

Edited by Garufa

Sorry, I thought we were talking apples and oranges. The question was which of us can come up with what we think is the best .22. 

I have a crackshot .22 built around 1937 that will kill ole fuzzy tail and only weighs around 3-4 lbs, Iron sights and all.

The ALU stock on the 2013 is a position stock. It can be fully adjusted to fit you in offhand or prone. Once you put it on you kind of wear it like a glove until you're done with the match. There are newer prone rifles that are different form the Annie's in that they moved the loading port back a couple of inches. This way you do not have to move anything but your hand to reload a bullet. They are all single shot rifles btw. My trigger is 2 stage and comes it a 5 oz to match my LR target guns triggers. As odd as they look remember, there is no kick from the .22LR so no pain when using one. You get more pain from holding the rifle in your left hand while prone for 20 minutes.

I prefer two stage triggers as I can get everything set, pull up first stage, double check no wind changes, hold and it's long gone. 

Most of the folks I let shoot it usually get the round out before they actually look through the scope, lol I tell them, "don't put yer finger anywhere near that trigger until you want to fire, then go ahead and pull up the first stage." They never get to the first stage. It's always bang! After about the 3 round they start getting used to it.

And what's really hilarious is the trigger up to take up the first stage is around a 1/4 inch. It stops at the end of the first stage., It's very distinct...for me :)

It doesn't matter what you wanna use for Mr Fuzzy just make sure you find the right bullet that likes your rifle, Those Cz's are nice. We have a couple of guys using them for silhouette. The 40X is the poor mans Annie and they don;t come cheap anymore. You can buy a used Annie for less now. 

This is a 100 yd target. The hole to the right is at 50 yds.

[URL=http://s587.photobucket.com/user/ren1795/media/116.jpg.html]116.jpg[/URL]

What was under the dime was how many rounds? :)

[URL=http://s587.photobucket.com/user/ren1795/media/115.jpg.html]115.jpg[/URL]

Lp

• Like 1

I would set my Savage FV-SR against any .22 under $1k and wouldn't walk away embarrassed. And that's coming from someone who has owned a Kimber, Savage-Anschutz, Ruger 77/22, BRNO, remington 581T, and shot many other models including the CZ's.

The Savage stock is stinky and will need to be replaced along with the bottom hardware if you are going to get really serious, but for the low entry price that's doable.

For the record the savage as far feeding from the mag is what you would expect from a cheap .22, accuracy though is superb.

My Annie cost me $800, used.   :)

Lp

Edited by Lowpower

I would set my Savage FV-SR against any .22 under $1k and wouldn't walk away embarrassed. And that's coming from someone who has owned a Kimber, Savage-Anschutz, Ruger 77/22, BRNO, remington 581T, and shot many other models including the CZ's.
The Savage stock is stinky and will need to be replaced along with the bottom hardware if you are going to get really serious, but for the low entry price that's doable.
For the record the savage as far feeding from the mag is what you would expect from a cheap .22, accuracy though is superb.

My Annie cost me $800, used.   :)

Lp

Those are excellent groups. I may be able to print some 50yd groups that would look like your 100 lol(for a $250 rifle with a 2.5lb trigger it would surprise you). I use my savage to train quietly,cheaply, and conveniently my 308 and 260, which i shoot at much longer distances.

Make no mistake its not an Anschutz, but for the price it's a difficult rifle to beat.

Didn't see it mentioned above but long ago, I had a Remington 541 that would shoot dime size groups at a hundred.  Being young, I sold it off because I was bored with it.  Man, I have paid a lot of "stupid tax".   Any rifle that shoots like that should be cherished and never let go of.   Live and learn, I guess.  

when you are looking at accuracy you need to look at size and weight also.  The best place to look at what it takes in terms of equipment is benchrest.com .  Here is a thread on some of Bill Calfee's converted XP100s that win a lot:  http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?67074-xp-100-pistol or accurateshooter.com.  Take a look at this rifle:  http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/gunweek080/  

There is accuracy and then there is plinking accuracy.  Most of us are plinkers.  When I have talked to some really good rimfire shooters who have the equipment, experience, time and money to do this I found I don't have the resources or desire to make the commitment.  Ammo costs are sky high too.  Equipment is only half the equation.  

I'm a big fan of CZ pistols, but have never seen a single rifle for sale in a store. I'm guessing those who have one are getting them online?

I bought my 452 American about 10 years ago at a local fun store up in Indiana, but I haven't seen any on any LGS shelves since moving down here to TN.

I did just see one listed for sale in one of the half-dozen west-TN facebook firearm buy/sell forums I belong to, I can scroll through them again & see if it's still for sale, how much they are asking & contact info for you iffin you're looking for one.

My 22 bolt action rifles are very accurate, and a very nice looking rifles:

>Remington 541S

>Remington 541T HB

>Savage-Anschutz 54 Sporter

My father and his buddy (in their mid 70s) shoot once a week against one another for lunch, and he swears by his Mossberg 46B.  They sandbag, table top, wear drug store reading glasses, and they shoot dime size groups or less at 50 yards.  Some weeks they shoot with scopes and some weeks they shoot open sights.  They shoot about 100 rds a week.  Fortunately, I bought them a case of 5,000 rounds each in November 2012, and they are just about out.  My dad has tried my rifles, and others, and he currently has a CZ 452 that I bought him 20 years ago, and still swears by his Mossberg.  He is a cranky ole fart too.

for marlin owners, I read a lot of good stuff about the KAT triggers made by "arrowdodger" :

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/rimfires/90503-kat-trigger-marlin-semi-autos.html

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419321&highlight=kat+trigger&page=5

This outfit makes some nice marlin stuff I have used.

http://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3603