The best and most accurate .22 LR rifle ??

itw69fxst

Accuracy is closely related to money.  How accurate can you afford to be?

Having said that, the Savage MkII is VERY accurate and amazingly reasonable on price.  You would have to spend a lot more money to achieve a noticeable increase in accuracy.

If you can afford to shoot Eley Tenex, that's the best, most consistent ammo out there.  For the price, Aguila Golden Eagle Match ammo is very good.  It doesn't cycle all semi-autos, but is excellent in bolt-action rifles.

There is no such thing as an all-purpose scope.  Figure out what kind of shooting you expect to do the most of and where your price point is.  That will lead you in the right direction. 

good point on how much can or do you want to spend, not including gouged prices of what was once cheap bulk ammo, the better match grade .22LR ammo can run up to or better than 35 cents a round.   In good ammo times I have had pretty good luck with CCI SV and am using some SK bulk pack I traded for that seems pretty good.  The other day I was having good luck at 200 yards using some leftover Winchester Super X lead bullets.   It is nearly a crying shame that you can't go into a store any longer and buy a 8 or 10 boxes of various stuff at different price points to try out. 

Thanks to all for your opinions and suggestions. It is great to see the interest in the. 22 - I dig all guns and want one (or 2) of every caliber. It just makes for a happy collection

Glad you had a good time the other day. That was a Savage MkII FV-SR we were shooting like many have already mentioned. Of course we were just plinking with rem gold bullets but you saw how well it did with non-target ammo. The only mod I have done was adding the Boyd's Evolution stock to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Guest mechanically
Count another vote for CZ.

I have recently acquired a 452 American that I put a vintage Redfield scope on. It's my small game go-to. I would prefer the Lux, with the iron sights, but when I came across this model in left hand, I jumped on it.

I was also fortunate enough to come across a new Ultra Lux Super Exclusive. This is the 28" barrel number shown earlier in this thread. I love iron sights, and it's shocking to see what can be done with such a long sight radius. Plus, with the right ammo, that thing is awfully quiet...

I also have a Savage MkII. While I think it might be almost as accurate, I just can't compare the two. The CZs are so finely crafted, I hate storing them. Art should be seen and appreciated...
Guest TankerHC
Of course it depends on your price range. I have seen people bring .22s to the range far beyond Olympic quality, accuracy and price. But I have also seen some of those same guns outshot with well tuned 350 dollar Savage MKIIS. If it under a grand there is no beating a Savage MKII series gun unless you can get your hands on a Kimber Model 82G. Kimber Model 82G is the best $4000 .22 you can get for $500, hands down.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Lots of nice rifles. As a lot of folks have said, it depends on the price range. For sub $400, I have a Savage Mark II FV in a Boyds stock that can shoot as well as I can. If I had $1000 to spend, I would probably grab an Annie. Above that, those Volquartsen rifles are awful nice looking and I would love to shoot a Sako TRG 22. 

It is really surprising how accurate some of the sub $400 guns are. 

I know there are several good rifles and custom rifles but the best out of the box factory .22 rifle I have ever owned is the S&W M&P 15-22. I cannot say enough good things about this gun. And it's accuracy was very consistent. I had a cheap tasco 3-12x40 scope on it and a bipod sometimes. It would tear up a coke can at 100-150 yards.
  • 1 year later...
Guest Havaneiss Dei

Just over 30 years ago, I used an unmodified Remington Model 33 with no scope (probably obvious from "unmodified," but I just wanted to make that clear) -- and no bench, mount, rest or like device to stabilize the weapon -- to shoot through the necks of 4 beer bottles that were *well* over 100 yards away, arranged in a roughly horizontal row, with adjacent centers spaced about a foot apart.  I used the shiny arc where the sun glinted off the rims as a guide; I aimed about a foot above the row of arcs on my first shot and the bullet landed a little less than halfway to the target and it had drifted a *surprising* distance to the left.

I was using the fastest .22LR ammo I could find at the time -- most likely either CCI Stinger, Remington Yellow Jacket, Remington Viper, or Winchester Super-X.  My gut feeling is that I was shooting Yellow Jackets at the time, but I don't have notes on that, and I don't exactly recall.

I adjusted my elevation and fired again; the bullet landed about 3/4 the distance to the target, and maybe 3-4 feet to the left.  I adjusted again and my third shot landed about four inches low and maybe 10-12 inches to the left.  My fourth, fifth and sixth shots passed through the necks of the first, second and third bottles (in that order), and I intentionally shot out the right side of the fourth bottle to verify that I had been hitting them (when the sunlight glare disappeared, I knew it had broken).

With the range clear, I retrieved the targets and broken glass for proper disposal.

Bottom line: you don't need a scope to accurately hit distant targets: you need patience and practice.  If you're using the rifle in a lifesaving role, choose the round that has the ballistic profile you prefer, and use it exclusively as your practice and as you "duty" or "service" load.  Precision will come with practice (assuming you're actually practicing and not simply plinking).  Practice at ranges you expect to actually encounter: the above detailed experience was my first attempt at long-range shooting, but discovering how to adjust for that range wouldn't have helped me to accurately make shorter shots.

You can practice on a commercial shooting range, where you can "dial-in" your sights for a particular, pre-determined and accurately-measured range, while you're shooting from a rest -- and maybe that's good enough for you; however, if you're trying to start training in a lifesaving capacity, your interests are better served by practicing in an environment that -- as accurately as is practical -- mimics the conditions in which you will be deployed: even a 50-yard shot looks very different (subjectively) under different lighting conditions, when the trees have leaves on them (versus when they don't), when there's foreground or background clutter, etc. -- and in real-world tactical situations, you likely won't have the sort of distance-to-target markers you'll find at a commercial range.

Edited by Havaneiss Dei

What do you think is the most accurate .22 LR Rifle a person can buy ?

What is the best scope to put on that .22 LR Rifle for 100 yard target shooting?

What do you think is the maximum range for that .22 LR Rifle for target practice and or small game?

I realize that there a million thoughts on this, I am interested to hear your input.

The rifle is gonna be out of my price range, and there are a number to choose from.  I would look at what the Olympic shooters use, and again at the other competitions, see what the pros have.   However, remember that accuracy is a multivariable equation.  The vast majority of "not total crap" guns can put all the shots in nearly the same hole at 100 yards if the gun is locked down and shot by a machine with excellent ammo that works well in it.   The expensive stuff is designed to take human errors out, to reduce the shooter's burden by reducing recoil, weight, trigger slop, and such things as reduce accuracy by frustrating the shooter.   They look like futuristic space ray guns at the top end, and its all about shooter comfort and removing those pesky human wiggles from the equation.

the best scope you can put on the 22 is the best one you can put on a sniper rifle at 1000 yards lol.  If it can focus at the range, the better the quality and power, the better it is.  I would gladly shoot with a 50x power scope at 100 yards if it could focus cleanly there.   I have no pride here... bench rested shooting, take all you can get.  If you are standing up, too much magnification can actually cause problems, depending on the competitive sport in question.  You sure can't find the target rapidly with a giant power multiplier,  if its a speed shooting event.  So it kinda depends on what you are doing, but assuming pure accuracy from rested position with infinite time to shoot,  go for the gold.  There are a lot of good scopes out there, and I dunno what is "best" for whatever style of shooting. 

target practice?  past 200 yards is a lot for a .22.   You can go more...  but that's a practical limit for typical applications.   Game?  depends on what game and what ammo, exactly.   A bunny at 200 would probably die from a hit.  Some other stuff might not. 

You're fortunate that many .22 shooters have posted their pics of crappy rifles for you to look at. It gives you the opportunity to see alternates.

:D J/K!  There's a lot of nice looking rifles that have already shown on this thread that are fine examples of good shooters. If you're planning to buy one you are

better off first deciding it's use. Plinking, Prone, 3 Position, Benchrest,  Long Range, Silhouette, small game hunting and many more. You made find you have more than one uses for one.  Some rifles are more use specific. For instance, a Benchrest .22lr may weight 9 lbs which might not be the best gun to take along in the woods for hours of walking and stalking Mr. Bushy Tail. The 2013 Annie pictured in the thread is more prone and 3 positions specific which allows you infinite adjustment to fit your physique.

Here's a pic of my Annie used for Prone.

[url=http://s587.photobucket.com/user/ren1795/media/a00062_zpsf521322d.jpg.html]a00062_zpsf521322d.jpg[/URL]

Here's another of the same rifle fitted out to compete with the Benchrest guys.

[url=http://s587.photobucket.com/user/ren1795/media/a5403-1_zps68a98a69.jpg.html]a5403-1_zps68a98a69.jpg[/URL]

My next project... I just bought a 28 inch, .22lr liner that fits into my original 1859 Sharps, .45-100. It should be here but Monday. It's is supposed to hold inside an inch at 100 yds. We will see. I plan to use it to practice mid and long range shooting. I can eisly take a .22lr out to 200-300yds with basically the same ballistics. Price of the liner only $170 bucks. You don't want to know what the Sharps costs.... 

[url=http://s587.photobucket.com/user/ren1795/media/sh2_zps7913456d.jpg.html]sh2_zps7913456d.jpg[/URL]

Edited by Lowpower

Lowpower, very cool pair of rifles and projects.  Who is going to do the barrel lining and chamber - also what chamber?   

After reading a few books on rimfire shooting, including Calfee's, I decided I am and always be a plinker.    But some of the rudimentary things of accurate shooting fascinate me.  

I had a friend years ago who was on several Olympic Biathlon Teams and competed for the US in world championships in Biathlon.  Whole other game than bench and plinkers like me.

These two websites are probably high on the list of serious paper punchers.  

http://www.accurateshooter.com/category/rimfire/

http://www.targettalk.org/

I bought my CZ 452 from Guns and Leather after selling my 10/22. It was a good move. The 10/22 was more fun, but the 452 is a better rifle for me. I use it to practice good fundamentals each week out of my garage and warm up with it before shooting my big rifle.

I put a Pride Fowler RR-22-1 on top and I really can't imagine a better scope for a .22LR.

With this combination I like to shoot pieces of left over clay pigeons at the Cheatham WMA rifle range.

Lowpower, very cool pair of rifles and projects.  Who is going to do the barrel lining and chamber - also what chamber?   

After reading a few books on rimfire shooting, including Calfee's, I decided I am and always be a plinker.    But some of the rudimentary things of accurate shooting fascinate me.  

I had a friend years ago who was on several Olympic Biathlon Teams and competed for the US in world championships in Biathlon.  Whole other game than bench and plinkers like me.

These two websites are probably high on the list of serious paper punchers.  

http://www.accurateshooter.com/category/rimfire/

http://www.targettalk.org/

Thanks!

I bought this liner. It's actually a slide in an shoot yer .22lr then pull it out and go back to shooting the .45-100. It will also fit my Browning 1885 BPCR and speaking of scopes...my Browning has an MVA Malcom 28 inch 6X scope mounted on it. I hope it gets here tomorrow or Tuesday latest. It being the .22lr liner.  I'm off Wed-Sun so I plan on shooting it. 

http://www.shilohrifle.com/shop/product.php?productid=56&cat=&page=1

Here's my Browning with the scope in Battery. The scope is adjustable, externally, out to 1K yds.

[url=http://s587.photobucket.com/user/ren1795/media/1885_zps0mzpfm2h.jpg.html]1885_zps0mzpfm2h.jpg[/URL]

And a close up of the falling block action on it. 

[url=http://s587.photobucket.com/user/ren1795/media/1885-8_zpsamlbjw5l.jpg.html]1885-8_zpsamlbjw5l.jpg[/URL]

Edited by Lowpower
Sorry for the thread drift here, I promise I'll say something about .22s at the end...

Mr Lowpower: How is the Malcolm scope mounted, as in, how do the mounts mount to the barrel?
I've got the Uberti knock-off 1885 & I've wanted to slap a Malcolm on it since I bought it, but I really don't want to drill & tap the barrel unless it's my only option. Right now it's wearing a medium height, budget ladder rear sight & a Lyman globe front & that's all great & good to 500yds, but beyond that A) I run out of elevation, B) The front post obscures the target too much & a 6 o'clock hold doesn't work for me & C) I can't see the damn target anyway!

Meanwhile....
My CZ452 was a great bottle cap popper at 200yds with a Vortex Crossfire scope. Edited by robtattoo

Anschutz or Walther...They will shoot flies off a target at 50 or 100 yds. Models...anything from a 1411 up to a 2013 with the Annie and 

a KK300 for the Walther. Your choice of wood or metal stocks.

Weaver T-36 Scope. You can see the flies at 100 yds. 1/8th MOA click values lets you adjust from the flies tail to his head. You do prefer head shots, right?

Ammo? Tenex or Center X will get the job done.

Range? 200 yds is accurate enough to shoot Mr. Fuzzy Tail

Hope this helps.

Lp

Oh yea! Brings back a lot of memories. Before the boys came along. That would be about 40 years ago, I shot smallbore. At that time the Anschutz 1413 was the gun to have. When we shot prone matches we shot 50 yards, 50 meters, and 100 yards. But all the rifle in the world wouldn't put you on your game if you didn't feed it right. Eley 10x is what we used for the matches and Eley club for practice. If you dope the wind right and can read the mirage your 100 yard targets would have dime sized groups. But that was 70 lbs. and two kids ago. 

Mr Lowpower: How is the Malcolm scope mounted, as in, how do the mounts mount to the barrel?
I've got the Uberti knock-off 1885 & I've wanted to slap a Malcolm on it since I bought it, but I really don't want to drill & tap the barrel unless it's my only option. Right now it's wearing a medium height, budget ladder rear sight & a Lyman globe front & that's all great & good to 500yds, but beyond that A) I run out of elevation, B) The front post obscures the target too much & a 6 o'clock hold doesn't work for me & C) I can't see the damn target anyway!

Meanwhile....
My CZ452 was a great bottle cap popper at 200yds with a Vortex Crossfire scope.

Mine was drilled and taped for the front but has a dovetail base in the rear. MVA makes rear sight base mounts that I think go all the way to 50 MOA. Here's a pic of my rear sight setting for 200 yds. If you look closely at the base of the sight the daylight between the rear bottom 100 yds and 200 yds is minute (as in small). The front mount also is windage adjustable. I take pics of my sight setting because I'm getting old and forget where I need to be for a given distance.  If you note the large adjusting screws with the large windage and elevation flats. When you turn the screw one flat, say from 1 to 2, you have just moved the adjustment 1 MOA. It sure makes it easy to come up 12 1/2 MOA from 100 to 200 yds.

[url=http://s587.photobucket.com/user/ren1795/media/FullSizeRender_zpsy9rdgqtt.jpg.html]FullSizeRender_zpsy9rdgqtt.jpg[/URL]

We're really not too far off the topics as this is my mount for my >22r when I shoot the 1885. :) Here's is another link to the MVA bases so you can have a look. 

https://montanavintagearms.com/mounts/

They're expensive scope setups. My complete system ran $975 but fortunately it happened to be on the rifle when I bought it. 

On a side note, I shot a match a week ago last Sunday with the 1885. I didn't realize I was short ammo as I had gone over to the 100 yd line to raise the bullet approx 12 inches. When I got over to the 200 yd range I told the fellas I had to shoot a few rounds to ensure I was on target. They started calling shot shots for me. I didn't have the heart to tell them I could see the bullets hitting. :). I looked down and saw I only had enough rounds for the match. My first shot I didn't track the bullet and foolishly mentioned it. My spotter called the hit but said he couldn't tell me where when scoring for points. Although I already knew that I looked through the scope at the mark it left. Lol. I shot both my Sharps and the 1885 that day.  I came in 1st on scoped silhouette or maybe last depending on your point of view. I was the only one shooting that class. :D

Edited to add a pic of the great sight setting.

Edited by Lowpower

Nope,  Im in Western TN in Bartlett. Our Club is called MSSA or Memphis Sports Shooting Association. Which on the Northeast end of Shelby County.  For you that'd be a 2 1/2 drive each way from Middle TN.

We have weekly Thursday shoots with a bunch of friends with ranges from 200-300 yds. at our silhouettes. We then have a once a month Silhouette shoot of our own. Then there's the monthly Cowboy match on the last Sunday of the month that is 200 yd silhouette. The Cowboy guys enjoy shooting with us and we have fun with them so the same folks from both groups show and shoot all of the matches.  Nobody really cares what kind of old rifle you bring and if have a Marlin or Winchester .38-55 or .45-70 with a scope on it no one cares. For matches if you use a scope and yer it then depending on your point of view, you come in both 1st and last place? :D

We also shoot .22 Silhouette iron sights although most folks shoot with aperture/globe sight combos. Ranges are 45, 66, 88 and 112 yds with the usual assortment of steel animals. We have the same with rimfire and centerfire pistols., again iron sights.

And again we do same with BP muzzle loaders once a month.

Its pretty easy to shoot some sort of match every weekend in these disciplines. In fact, we have so many different types of shooting you have to set limits on what you want to shoot as there is not enough time in the day to do it all. [

Good news. I just got my .22lr insert for my 1885 and Sharps. I'm off Thursday so I plan to see if I can the 1885 sighted in for 200 yds and shoot that for our impromptu match. It's supposed to be a match grade barrel and I hope it shoots well. I'll try and get some sort of range report put together on Thursday and post the results.  

Lp

Edited by Lowpower

Cooper makes a real nice 22 LR and I am going to guess it is very accurate.  I have no idea what the cost would run for a Cooper 22 LR bolt action or the accuracy compared to Anschutz or Sako.

You might want to look at Anschutz or Sako 22LR if you do not mind spending around a grand for a good 22.

I think a CZ 455 would make a good mid priced 22 LR.

Savage is a great 200-300 22LR rifle.  You don't have to do any trigger work on a Savage because the accutrigger is great in my opinion for a factory trigger.

Edited by 300winmag