What Forums WON'T you pay to join

Spiffy

TGO is the only message board that I am a paying member of. I used to have an account at AR15 but I let it lapse and with the level of general butthurt that site admin over there have I don't see how anyone can justify paying for a site that can ban you for their lack of reading comprehension.

So where do you hang out that you wouldn't pay to play.

Except for a yearly sub to the NY Times for the crosswords, and political and charity donations, TGO is only place on the web I've ever contributed to.

I'd likely do the lifetime thing if I were younger, but I'm hesitant to even buy green bananas any more. ;)

- OS

• Like 10
Paying for forums is not something I'm into. TGO is the only site, other than my own ventures, that I've paid for.

TGO has a very solid trading post that is well worth the money. Top that with an active mod presence and it makes for a nice place to visit. I've yet to see a forum that is this pleasant.

Now, I'm off to wash my face. brb

None. Id stop going to them if i had to pay. Although i wouldnt mind owning a few. Anyone know how much dough it takes to run one? I know a guy that runs a sports forum and makes his living from it.

He probably makea his money from lota of annoying advertising. We have none of that here.

back when i had my bait business up and operational to general public I paid for advertising on a couple of the larger fishing sites and then paid yahoo for my web site and domain but that's it. I would pay here if I was planning on selling anything and would go lifetime but like OS I'm afraid to buy green bananas and don't make plans farther ahead then a loaf of sliced bread molding.

I was a moderator on a very popular automotive forum for a few years and I paid for that one. The founder gave me some advise on starting my own which i never got around to because I webt to Afghanistan.I still visit the forum occasionally but I don't pay, I know what the advertisements were brining in.

Over the years I've been on a number of forums.  Mostly motorcycle related.  I've made donations towards a couple of them which were small forums where pretty much everyone knew everyone outside of the forum.  I'm also an admin on another small forum.  TGO is the first of these forums which I have ever paid a membership and in my opinion it has been worth the money, though I don't ever sell guns I've used the classified section for other things.  I don't mind paying the money because TGO is a well run forum.  The kinds of people that make forum life difficult are usually removed from TGO in short order, and the mods just do a great job of making it a cool place. 

As for how much money you can make owning a forum, if you go into it with profit in mind you probably will not make anything.  Forum administration is a calling.  You are going to put up with more crap than you could ever imagine so it has to be a labor of love. 

• 3 years later...
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2013 at 6:09 PM, 10-Ring said:

Over the years I've been on a number of forums.  Mostly motorcycle related.  I've made donations towards a couple of them which were small forums where pretty much everyone knew everyone outside of the forum.  I'm also an admin on another small forum.  TGO is the first of these forums which I have ever paid a membership and in my opinion it has been worth the money, though I don't ever sell guns I've used the classified section for other things.  I don't mind paying the money because TGO is a well run forum.  The kinds of people that make forum life difficult are usually removed from TGO in short order, and the mods just do a great job of making it a cool place. 

As for how much money you can make owning a forum, if you go into it with profit in mind you probably will not make anything.  Forum administration is a calling.  You are going to put up with more crap than you could ever imagine so it has to be a labor of love. 

I know I am going back a few years with this post but I have been wanting to research my history with TGO and I have enjoyed reading some of the many old threads I posted in. I wanted to address one thing to 10 Rings post and that is -was when I had a Website of my own I did make a profit from it but it was designed to sell products I made to sell and paying to be on the bigger fishing forums was also a profit as I sold a lot of my baits to folks on those sites. One thing you eed to be on the watch for is when the site no longer if profitable you need to amke sure you either make necessary changes or pull the website which is what I did when the bottom fell out of the fishing industry. I went a year paying Yahoo Web hosting and in 2012 I lost money with low bait purchases verses web hosting costs so I shut the site down. My web site builder has everything stored and the site can be back up on the WWW in less the 48 hours but I told her if she wanted to she could just dump it because I don't plan on going back on the web.

TGO is my only firearms forum that I pay for.  I pay for one in another hobby. When I see value in a forum, news site or service, I'll support it financially if they ask.  Great things don't last without support.

I was just badly burned by Photobucket, a supposedly free site.