TN Online Permit Status

Guest bill38506

Guest bill38506

Hey can you guys tell me how to check my permit status online? I can't seem to get to the right link. I'm waiting on my original permit, not a renewal. Many thanks!

Guest bill38506

Thanks for the feedback. I actually applied at the DMV and not online. I thought maybe I could check status. I had no idea you could apply online. That would have saved me a half day...

Not available online.

It is now, for first time applicants who start process that way.

But the info for the link doesn't seem to exist anywhere on tn.gov site, you just have to know it's there. Apparently some HCP instructors are hip to it and giving it out, though looks like you can apply before you take course, IF you know where link is?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Thanks for the feedback. I actually applied at the DMV and not online. I thought maybe I could check status. I had no idea you could apply online. That would have saved me a half day...

I applied online, took the carry class the following weekend. Then a week later I went to the DMV, got photo'd and then fingerprinted that same day. Pretty quick process overall. Waiting for it in the mail was the excruciating part.

Wish we could renew online.....

I think that DMV would probably LOVE that. I get the feeling that they view HCP processing as a nuisance. Hopefully by the time my next renewal is up, 2-3 years from now, perhaps online renewal will be a reality at that point.

The "double secret" online application appears to be a step in the right direction.

Edited by tartanphantom

Good news! I did read on the back of my permit   "Save time, renew online."  :usa:

Well, my newest one from a year ago says that too. Wonder if they'll actually have it implemented three years from now when I have to do it again?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • 3 weeks later...

I think that DMV would probably LOVE that. I get the feeling that they view HCP processing as a nuisance. Hopefully by the time my next renewal is up, 2-3 years from now, perhaps online renewal will be a reality at that point.

The "double secret" online application appears to be a step in the right direction.

It's the dmv. Anything that doesn't involve sitting and scratching butt is a nuisance.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
Your Application Process is Complete
Your Handgun Carry Permit Application has been approved.

Please allow ten business days for delivery of your permit.

almost home, 7 days from fingerprints and DMV visit.

Can't you renew via mail, seems to me I remember them using my newest driver's license picture to do that via mail last year, or am I dreaming?

Just renewed my diver's license online, they said they would use my latest picture, good thing I am not aging any...

• 4 years later...

Tennessee has updated their .gov website and the new way to check your application status is: 

https://dl.safety.tn.gov/_/

-Sign in using your information

-Click "Handgun Permits" Tab

-Select "View Handgun Application Status"

-If it is approved, you will see this message,"Your application process has been approved. You should receive the card in the mail within ten (10) business days from the date of issuance."

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I applied for it last Thursday online, bought 2 guns on Friday, took the class on Saturday, went to the DMV Monday and got fingerprinted at 1:20pm today. It showed it was approved when I went online at 3:30 and said I will receive it within 10 days!

Now that was fast.