Spectacular Deal (jump on it)

Guest CCPT

Is it possible these are fakes? The boxes don't have hologram stickers like they should, and I find it hard to believe they would be so stiff at their suggested price point.

I guess it's possible. The adage "you get what you pay for" rarely (if ever) fails me, but I still test it sometimes :)
Guest The Itis

Looks like it was maybe supposed to come with a pouch too, which neither of mine had.

Reading this review and then looking at my knife, I have to conclude either SMKW was selling fakes they got tricked into or someone got paid to write that review.

http://www.gunmetalgearblog.com/gear-reviews/mantis-mt-5-kunitza-folder-sharrrrrrpppp-

Edited by The Itis
I didn't get one at all but I was charged. I think it was simply a case where by the time I paid and it went back to the confirmation page, they were sold out. I sent an email Friday asking for clarification, but with a question about them being real, I figured I would just ask for a refund anyway.

Got mine Saturday but my laptop crashed (and is still crashing).

Mine flips just fine.   This is a huge knife for a pocket carrier but the reviews on it said it would be.  My only gripe is the grip is so defined that it will probably be impossible to carry it in a pocket till I can grind off a little of the G10 on that side so it doesn't rip my pockets up.  I don't know if it's a fake, looks like every other picture I've seen and its sharp and works well.  Worth the 40 bucks (tax and shipping) to me.  Sorry to the others that didn't get what they were expecting or nothing at all. 

Guest The Itis

Got a response from Mantis saying to just return it to SMKW and tell them I'm not happy. Also mentioned it should not need any adjusting/lubing out of the box. No offer to help, no mention that repair was covered under their warranty.

Got a response from SMKW:
"I do know these items are authentic Mantis knives.  As we sell them as they are sent to us.  Some of their items do not come with the hologram sticker on the boxes and some do not have the pouches.  I apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused.  And we will try to get it corrected as soon as possible.

Thank you for choosing Smoky Mountain Knife Works, we look forward to doing business with you again soon.

Respectfully,

Anya Cate"

I'm just going with the off chance I got two lemons that need adjusting. I'm concluding these are authentic, just bad examples.

Got mine Saturday but my laptop crashed (and is still crashing).

Mine flips just fine.   This is a huge knife for a pocket carrier but the reviews on it said it would be.  My only gripe is the grip is so defined that it will probably be impossible to carry it in a pocket till I can grind off a little of the G10 on that side so it doesn't rip my pockets up.  I don't know if it's a fake, looks like every other picture I've seen and its sharp and works well.  Worth the 40 bucks (tax and shipping) to me.  Sorry to the others that didn't get what they were expecting or nothing at all.

This^ is the same for me. It is a BIG knife. It's heavy duty and will snag my pocket on the rough edges. Mine is VERY sharp. It flips ok. It's also worth it to me for what I paid for it.
I must say mine flips just fine as well...no grit at all. I was impressed with the quality. The blade is slightly off center when closed, but that doesn't bother me much. As previously mentioned, this knife is HUGE. I have no intentions of carrying or even using it really. It's just a safe queen that I bought cause it was cheap. I have been buying knives at SMKW for 20+ years, and I have never had occasion to feel cheated in any way. Not to say its not possible...

I think knives are like anything else that is mass produced, some are gems and others are lemons. I feel like I got a good deal at $40 OTD.

No response yet, but I did find this for review of smkw:
http://www.yellowpages.com/sevierville-tn/mip/smoky-mountain-knife-works-25970774
Guess it was my fault for assuming it was a reputable shop.

My only problem with this type of thing is that these types of negative reviews exist for nearly any business. A couple of negative reviews out of hundreds of thousands of annual customers isn't too bad, lol. The one guy was whining about them selling him fake arrowheads or something...comical. Don't let these chuckleheads dissuade you.

No response yet, but I did find this for review of smkw:
http://www.yellowpages.com/sevierville-tn/mip/smoky-mountain-knife-works-25970774
Guess it was my fault for assuming it was a reputable shop.

SMKW is one of (if the not the) the largest knife shops in the country. They are a reputable shop. Mantis on the other hand does not have the best reputation among the knife community.
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

SMKW is one of (if the not the) the largest knife shops in the country. They are a reputable shop. Mantis on the other hand does not have the best reputation among the knife community.

As usual You are correct my friend,

I love SMKW but have never liked Mantis knives, I know of many people who have had problems with them, one of the reasons I would never own one myself

As usual You are correct my friend,

I love SMKW but have never liked Mantis knives, I know of many people who have had problems with them, one of the reasons I would never own one myself

If you believe the bad press, Mantis has lied about some of their blade steels.

- OS

I gotta be honest... I still think it's a pretty solid knife for the price. Having said that, I didn't realize until after the fact that Mantis had such a bad rep. I guess I came out okay this time though.