TGO Lowers - ACTION REQUIRED!

MacGyver

What's the pro's/cons of millet vs forged?

DaveS

You can make flat bread and beer with millet.

Forged is inedible.

:rofl:

But seriously... 

Functionally, there's very little difference between a part machined from a forging compared to one machined from billet.  A forged part starts as a billet, but gets mashed and pounded on until it's roughly the right size and shape.  One can do things like take advantage of things like non isotropic properties in forgings, just depends on how thoughtful the designer is and whether or not it matters. 

From another perspective, there's a lot less waste (the pile of chips on the floor) when a forging is used.  A forging should be roughly the right size already so you have to remove a lot less metal to finish it, and so it takes significantly less machining time.  The trade off is the expense of the forging operations and tooling, which aren't cheap. 

Some people will talk about strength, weight, and while there is a difference... it's minimal. 

I am in.

Planning on 2 lowers/2 uppers.(depending on the final prices.)

I will wait on my PM for the final price.

Thanks for the effort.

I look forward to maybe some group builds as these will by my first.

(Oak Ridge Area)

if it helps on deciding on FFLs

Knoxville is reasonable, depends when they are available as I will be going to Middle TN once in Oct and Once in Nov.

So I am sure one of the 6 of so will work fine for me.

Edited by vontar
  • Like 1