TGO Lowers - ACTION REQUIRED!

MacGyver

Guest Lester Weevils
OK, looks like I'm the only thumb fingered one who doesn't get along with tiny parts, and breaks or strips things that must be torqued.

What would have to happen to get a fairly completely assembled lower and upper? If I just get the raw metal, maybe it would be years or never before I got around to completing a half-assed build.

And though am kewl with no firm price, any estimate of what such a beast would cost within a couple hundred bucks, outfitted with the typical "basic M4" but good quality hardware and furniture? Not optics or whatever, just yer basic shootable rifle with 16" quad rail, decent trigger, collapsible stock?

IOW, not pinching pennies but not hanging tac-kewl most spensive mall ninja furniture on it either? Ferinstance spikes tactical stuff I've seen looked pretty nice but dunno nothin about it. Edited by Lester Weevils

OK, looks like I'm the only thumb fingered one who doesn't get along with tiny parts, and breaks or strips things that must be torqued.

What would have to happen to get a fairly completely assembled lower and upper? If I just get the raw metal, maybe it would be years or never before I got around to completing a half-assed build.

And though am kewl with no firm price, any estimate of what such a beast would cost within a couple hundred bucks, outfitted with the typical "basic M4" but good quality hardware and furniture? Not optics or whatever, just yer basic shootable rifle with 16" quad rail, decent trigger, collapsible stock?

IOW, not pinching pennies but not hanging tac-kewl most spensive mall ninja furniture on it either? Ferinstance spikes tactical stuff I've seen looked pretty nice but dunno nothin about it.

Just to give you an idea, I just completed an AR in 300AAC for about $850 and it is not what I would consider basic. Prices have come down on most of the components since then as well. If you do some looking around you can build a really good quality rifle for the prices of a cheap rifle. I'd be happy to help you out with building a list and i'd also be willing to help you put it together when you got everything together. I'm a little ways from you so you might find someone closer to help you with assembly but if not my offer stands. Just shoot me a PM if interested.

• Like 2

IOW, not pinching pennies but not hanging tac-kewl most spensive mall ninja furniture on it either? Ferinstance spikes tactical stuff I've seen looked pretty nice but dunno nothin about it.

My last build was a cmt. Its a gas piston carbine I have right at 1050.00 into it. I did build an ar pistol for around 650.00.

Lester after you get your parts together let me know I will swing by and help you get it put together.

$800 or less for a nice serviceable mid range config, and you can come out with a generally better rifle than complete ones in same general price retail.  Component prices are getting pretty close to pre Sandy Hook, just not as widely available just anywhere at any time.

You can finish up lower with parts kit for about $60 and a serviceable buffer tube/stock assembly for about the same.

Then simplest way is to find a complete upper and just slap it on. Palmetto State Armory is always a good place to catch a sale on solid mid range stuff with quite good FN made barrels. Changing to quad rails isn't too expensive for basic handguard config, can get pricy for free floated though. Dunno about that 16" rail though, basic mounting lengths are 6.5" for carbine, 8.6" for middy, and 12" for rifle. Mid length gas system my fav, very nice for several reasons.

Anyway you wind up saving at least a couple hundred bucks going this route from buying a complete new rifle with same specs.

Irony has always been that even if you don't want to install a single spring or pin, you can generally save a c note or more by merely buying a complete lower and a complete upper rather than exact same complete rifle from same vendor and simply mate them.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
I've seen a few posts and heard from a few folks that want a TGO gun but are reluctant to build it alone. I'm a firearms instructor with 7 certifications and have taught many build classes including AR, AK, 1911, etc. I always teach AR builds from the smallest part all the way up, it takes anywhere from 2-6 hours with most new people needing 4-6 hours including some basic instruction for maintenance and cleaning. I have a large set of armorers tools, spare parts, instructions, diagrams, etc. so would be willing to coordinate a build class in middle TN area if needed. It's a lot of fun and we've even had a lot of kids, women, elderly folks join in and they usually do better than the "experienced guys"... so don't hesitate to try it if you are on the fence. How often do you get a chance to build your own TGO AR?
  • Like 14
  • Admin Team

I've seen a few posts and heard from a few folks that want a TGO gun but are reluctant to build it alone. I'm a firearms instructor with 7 certifications and have taught many build classes including AR, AK, 1911, etc. I always teach AR builds from the smallest part all the way up, it takes anywhere from 2-6 hours with most new people needing 4-6 hours including some basic instruction for maintenance and cleaning. I have a large set of armorers tools, spare parts, instructions, diagrams, etc. so would be willing to coordinate a build class in middle TN area if needed. It's a lot of fun and we've even had a lot of kids, women, elderly folks join in and they usually do better than the "experienced guys"... so don't hesitate to try it if you are on the fence. How often do you get a chance to build your own TGO AR?

That's a great offer. Thanks!

Photos of our billet uppers. We only offered forged uppers until we had the UPUR-1 in production.

upur-1a_zps198e699a.jpg
upur-1b_zps58117765.jpg

That is pretty darn sexy looking. I might just have to get the uppers after all...

This is going to be my first AR build. Might as well go whole hog and learn the whole thing.

Mark
  • Like 2

I started a thread to post things such as everyone's build plans,AR build question and all that sort of thing. I enjoyed the thread like this that someone else started last time around and I think it will reduce the chances of us missing something pertinent to the lower and upper ordering process. Here's the link,

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/70345-tgo-lowers-what-your-going-to-build-how-to-build-general-discussion-thread/