Who here on TGO also owns a Jeep?

TGO David

I recall that Jeep is installing a new diesel engine in some of it's non-US vehicles. At least one version of their diesel was supposed to have much more power than the Pentastar.

I loved the diesel engine that I had in my Land Rover Defender 110. Loads of torque. Needed more gears for the highway though.

Tell me more about your 110... Leave it to a Land Rover guy to hijack a Jeep thread. Sorry guys.
  • Like 1
Guest drv2fst

Tell me more about your 110... Leave it to a Land Rover guy to hijack a Jeep thread. Sorry guys.

I'll PM those details so as not to further hijack, ...a Jeep thread, ...on a gun forum..

Edited by drv2fst
97 wrangler (250k + miles and still going strong) and the wife drives an 08 Liberty. The Wrangler has already been through 1 teenage son, now my 16 year old daughter has laid claim to it. Maybe I'll get it back in a couple of years. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • 4 weeks later...

The 4BT is a very popular conversion for trail rigs.  The JK already gets the Diesel engine in other countries.  Go figure.

If there was one vehicle I would expect to come with an option, it would be a Jeep. Most odd.

See how much trouble I can start. Work as the parts manager for a cpdj dealer for 15+- years. 87 Suki samurai. Jeeps are cool but you have to spend too much to et them trail worthy. Would like to built an xj when my kids get out of college8a5u6e4u.jpg JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

I spent many a day back years ago playing in the mud but never owned a jeep but you guys are sure making an old man jealous and remembering all the fun I had with my 1977 Dodge Ramcharger Bought it in 1978 used off a GMC truck lot. I had been watching it for about two moths and it was never moved so I stopped in one day and walked into showroom and ask if that Dodge Ramcharger was for sale and  you would have thought I was from another planet by the looks I got. Then this salesman walks up and said yes, it is and I said I would like to hear it run and look it over. The truck has 17,809 miles on it, was Metallic black and perfect interior and started right up and drove perfect. On the way back to the dealership I asked him how much they were asking for it and his reply was make me an offer. I was quiet for a few minutes and he was almost holding his breath in anticipation.  Knowing they were not going to take my offer we had to start somewhere and I said $1,850.00 tax title and license. He said let me talk with the owner when we get back. The owner of the dealership came out and shook hands with me and said you just bought yourself a truck and a nice one at that. Hell, I didn't buy it, I stole it. I couldn't wait to sign the papers before they changed their minds. It was a pure stock Ramcharger with automatic and a/c, smoke tinted windows and I was in heaven. I owned my first 4x4 and had great plans for it. back then I was a dodge guy and I was driving a Lil' Red Dodge Step side at the time. All my buddies had 4X4's and they all had the smaller versions like CJ 5 and CJ 7 and hopped up 304's in them with headers, A few guys had the old Ford Broncos in the smaller versions and 302 Ford hot rod motors. A guy named Lark had a Small Bronco with a 351 Cleveland in it and he was kind of the boss of the club. The club name was the Dixie Mud Hawgs. When I showed up three days later to the meeting everyone was wondering why I was there and I told them i came to join and they all walked outside and looked at my huge what they called Big ugly Black truck. My brother was helping me build a real off road family truck. Didn't change any thing in it's appearance except the wheels and tires and lift. Put 15X35X38 monster mudders with 6 inch life kit in it. Put on a sent of Lock out front hubs which was something not seen on many Chrysler products 4X4's because of cost but my brother had all the connections. We replaced the NP(New Process) 203 Transfer case with a Sontag High Tech G2G ( Gear to Gear) to avoid chain stretch under a real load. Added a set of Detroit Lockers to front and read differentials. had the tranny beefed with all over size power valve body valves and springs with porcelain clutches and an Ed Roth power drive 3000 stall torque converter. And last but not least a 340 6 packDodge power plant under the hood. Sure was glad it came with a 45 gallon gas tank from the factory. By the end of 1979 I was the big dog in the Mud hawgs because i never lost a mud trough meet and never got stuck on any off road rally's and had to be pulled but I did a lot of pulling for guys that did. When I locked everything in to pull go off road top speed was 9 mph but that was up hill, down hill, in mud out of mud 9 mph. On the highway just running it got a whopping 10 MPG on cruise control at 60 MPH. I bought the truck for $1,850.00. Invested another 10 grand in it over the next 2 years. Drove it off and on till 1985 and went to a mud meet in Ashland City at the fairgrounds. Truck had not been off road in two years and was all clean and shinning like a new penny. My boys and I went over to watch the competition. It was two day event. 1st place was $5,000.00 and some guy with a really big mouth from Missouri was leading in the distance traveled in the mud pit and all he did was run his mouth that the hicks from Tennessee didn't have anything for him. I told the boys we would be going back Sunday and I spent most of the night under the Dodge checking everything out. When we got there Sunday he was already running his mouth about his Jeep called White Lightening when i pulled up to the entrance gate and registered to compete. For those of ya'll that don't know the mud trough starts shallow, is about 40 yards long and gets deep quick to about 4 feet of mud which no one had reached yet. I was the last truck to do the trough. Most guys got a running start and hit it fast. I just drove up to the starting line The guy dropped the flag and I drove the complete length of the trough, turned around and drove back and White Lightening was already loading to leave. That day the Dodge went to a new home.  A man walked up to me and said I have been hearing rumors about that truck but never really knew or believed it existed. How much do you want for it. The guy was driving a Chevy pure Stock 85 Blazer. He gave me the Blazer and title and $12,000.00 and I gave him the Dodge and the title. Sold the Blazer to the GMC dealership I bought the Dodge at in 1978. Drove GMC Pick up for 280,000 miles and now I own a 1997 Jeep Cherokee  Sport 4X2.  yep!!! very sorry for the long post but hope ya'll can bear with an old man and what few great memories he has left................ :hiding: :hiding:

• Like 1

I've got an old tired '95 XJ.

95Cherokeelr.jpg

Love it! But it's pretty worn out.

I hope to have enough coin to pick up a '99/2k soon.

(one that's actually worth washing!)

I'll check out the new site!

I think thats a great looking old Jeep...................... :up: :up: :up:

Guest Lowbuster
You guys are talking about Jeeps with diesel, I know a lady who had a Jeep liberty that has a diesel in it, she traded it.

Thanks man. 

That pic is about 3 yrs old. 

She's got about 195k miles on her now.

But I'm still enjoying it!!

My 97 has 148,000 on it. If you ever decide you may want to get rid of your Black Beauty send me a PM? Does it have the 4.0 High Output motor and is it stick or automatic?

Used to own a 1951 CJ-3A Willys Flatfender jeep. Loved it. And a Wrangler. And a succession of Cherokees.

Here's the current fleet, the 1999, the 2001, and the 2000:

[url=http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/eprightd/media/jeeps.jpg.html]jeeps.jpg[/URL]

Edited by QuietDan
  • 2 weeks later...