Police BRAWL: Black Men Beat Up; White Cops Caught on Camera

Guest Smitty

I just thought I would share this news story from Detroit.  It looks like the cops may have been racially profiling them and looking for a fight.  They were arrested and charged with assualt on a police officer obviously, but the camera footage help them get the charges dropped when they went to court.  It didn't look like they had any reasonable suspicion or probable cause that they were involved in criminal activity either.  I think I would have defended myself with my fists as well regardless if they were wearing a badge or not.  Tell me your opinions on this story, and what would you guys have done if you were in that situation? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MQ5aFijghU

Edited by Smitty

If I followed someone into a restaurant to confront them over something they did/didn't say to me in a parking lot and during the confrontation I pushed them, like that young cop did, I'd expect to be charged with battery.

I do know there are a lot of good officers out there doing their job and I know we don't know the whole story, but IF what the two brothers are saying is true, well then it's crap like this video and so many others that surface every other day that seems to push us closer and closer to a police state.  "Show me your papers" is exactly where we're going. BE AFRAID OF ME is what some of these cops want. And of course the investigation by the powers that be upheld the action of the cops even though his explanation for pushing the brother didn't pan out with what I heard and saw on the video. I noticed it seems to be a young cop too that did the pushing and punching that started it all. I highly respect good, honest cops that do their jobs without all the violations and bullying, but the ones that I've seen and read about in the news on these news videos and the like, now they just make me lose all respect for their sorry asses. I just for the life of me don't understand why the others don't call them out, turn them in and police themselves. They have the power to stop the abuse but remain silent. Kinda makes one wonder which side are the majority.

The cop put his hand out to move the guy back and was attacked. We don’t know what was said in the parking lot. Profiling? Profiling what? 82% of Detroit is black and 63% of the PD is black. Those must be busy cops if those guys are claiming they were profiled because they were black.

Guest Keal G Seo

Well, tough call. If I knew I was being recorded and the video wasn't going anywhere then you can bet I would react the same way. Otherwise I'd just have to put up with it until I had my day in court and that is a sad thing.

As for what I see in the video, what cause did the officer have to touch the guy in the first place? To make him step back? To where? In the wall or over the counter? The second cop however was reacting to the situation...a fight. Also tacked onto the first cop, sure maybe swatting his hand away is wrong but what did the second brother do to get punched in the face immediately? As for the profiling, no. But on that same note where is the probable cause to do anything they did?

So where I stand on this is that the first cop is just POS that deserves to get fired. Second cop needs some kind of discipline for not doing the right thing about policing his partner. First brother maybe some community service for swatting the hand. Second brother nothing should happen, he did nothing but react to getting hit in the face.

Is it standard protocol for a cop to put two hands on the chest in a pushing motion?

definitely not. But I can see his reasoning (as flawed as it may be) for engaging.
They handled themselves unprofessionally and got caught.

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

I would say the police invoked that confrontation with no probable cause. I didn't see anything out side or inside that would require that they be asked for ID's. I don't feel that the police officer had any probable cause to place his hands on the man to push him back. Instead, he should have given him a verbal order to step back and if the order was refused then take physical action. There was no verbal order given. Way I see it I would not call it profiling, I would call it cops just wanting to throw some weight around and thought they fond easy targets........jmho

• Like 1
Guest TankerHC

I dont think the black brothers (As in brothers, not brotha's) were in the wrong "entirely". I had to go back and look half a dozen times but it looks like the citizen did push the officers hands first. However, these men had every right to be doing what they were doing. Some may say "it may have been a high crime area" or something along those lines. Dont care. Going into a high crime area is not breaking the law. Looking at the video I see absolutely no reason why those officers should have even been looking twice. I wasnt there doesnt matter either. Camera's dont lie. (mostly) and these two officers are backpedling already "We did use force, but". But what, cameras caught you, thats what. 

These two are the kind of officers that make the other 10 million good officer's look bad. That leads to a backlash, which leads to a separate backlash annnnnnnddddddd   Al and Jesse in 3......2..............

This whole scene reminds me of the movie "Colors" from back in the 80's. Young cop trying to create a reputation as a someone not be be messed with...old cop doesn't always corral his trainee, but tries to teach him the ropes.

Maybe slapping the cops hands away was the wrong call when the cop tried to push him, but I'm still surprised the young cop didn't get fired.

The cop put his hand out to move the guy back and was attacked. We don’t know what was said in the parking lot. Profiling? Profiling what? 82% of Detroit is black and 63% of the PD is black. Those must be busy cops if those guys are claiming they were profiled because they were black.

So, why did they put their hands on them? Cops are supposed to be beyond reproach in their duty. That short cop got in

that one guy's face and pushed on him. Was he under arrest? Was he provoking the cop. Hell, if it was me who was pushed for

saying something to the cop, would it be any different? The cop had better have a good reason to put his hands on the guy,

black or white. Whatever might have been said outside just tells me someone may be too sensitive, and was looking for

a fight.

It looked like the other cop might have not wanted to get into this. Little Napoleon(cop) may just have a short fuse.

If there was a crime committed, please tell me! Smells of a lot of Barbara Streisand.

So, why did they put their hands on them?

Because he was about to get hit? I don’t know I wasn’t looking into the eyes of a guy getting in my face and yelling; he was. He moved him back, which is a perfectly acceptable move, and he was attacked.

We don’t know why the cops were following them or what was said outside. So “probable cause” isn’t even an issue here. The two brothers said the cops were following them and “profiling” them before they pulled into the restaurant. Why?

Situations involving cops get out of hand quickly all the time. But that could have just been two citizens that had words with those guys. When you start throwing blows; you go to jail.

The cops are a minority. They are white cops in a black Police Department, in a black city. They may have overreacted but got cleared because they are a minority. They may have beat the two brothers to playing the race card. If Al and Jesse do show up they better be protecting those cops. biggrin.gif

If the brother that started the attack is the one that wants to be a cop; I hope any PD that considers hiring him sees this video. If he wants to stop Police violence he can start by not filling out an application.

I’m just adding comments here; I really don’t know what happened and neither does anyone else, other than the investigators that investigated this incident.

• Like 2

Because he was about to get hit? I don’t know I wasn’t looking into the eyes of a guy getting in my face and yelling; he was. He moved him back, which is a perfectly acceptable move, and he was attacked.

We don’t know why the cops were following them or what was said outside. So “probable cause” isn’t even an issue here. The two brothers said the cops were following them and “profiling” them before they pulled into the restaurant. Why?

Situations involving cops get out of hand quickly all the time. But that could have just been two citizens that had words with those guys. When you start throwing blows; you go to jail.

The cops are a minority. They are white cops in a black Police Department, in a black city. They may have overreacted but got cleared because they are a minority. They may have beat the two brothers to playing the race card. If Al and Jesse do show up they better be protecting those cops. biggrin.gif

If the brother that started the attack is the one that wants to be a cop; I hope any PD that considers hiring him sees this video. If he wants to stop Police violence he can start by not filling out an application.

I’m just adding comments here; I really don’t know what happened and neither does anyone else, other than the investigators that investigated this incident.

People, especially cops, should ALWAYS assume that EVERYTHING will be on film these days.  Right or wrong, that's just the way it is.  Whether its  security cams, police cams or cell phone cams, we are all being watched.  

Edited by barewoolf
watched it again...the black guys were acting pretty aggressively...I mean above and beyond how I'D act over being asked for ID for no good reason

I DID see the guy who got pushed get right up in the cop's face a couple of times waving his arms in what could easily be construed as a threatening manner

I don't know that it warrants the classic fight-starting chest push he got, but I know that if someone pushed me like that, my first reaction would probably be to keep them from doing it

still, there's no doubt the lil cop wanted it to escalate, he was way too quick with the ensuing punches for that not to have been his intention

But, I wasn't there, so I could easily be misreading the body language

As long as you continue to defend jackasses like the two leos in the video, you are part of the problem.

As long as you continue to defend jackasses like the two leos in the video, you are part of the problem.

If you read my last statement I didn’t defend anyone. Since you follow my comments enough to know I am part of the problem you must know that when the cops are wrong; I say so.

Absolutely I support the Police when they are right; proud of it. We have all seen your comments and know how you feel about the Police.

I don't see where the Brothers did anything wrong. However, the video only picks up as they pull their cars into the parking lot. I think something happened out on the street to cause the officers to follow them into the parking lot. There may have been an exchange of words on the street from car to car...heck, the brothers may have given the cops the ol' "Trayvon Salute" (or visy versy?. It's a messy situation to say the least.

DaveS