Kel Tec su 16

Robertgg

They haven't used the plastic forearm since the A2 model which was COMPLETELY phased out(except basic) in USMC in 2004, the M16A4 took over that role and in the Army, the M4 weapon line is pretty much the front runner infantry weapon which these all use alum. KAC RAS.

Negative. They're still widely used by the Army with thousands of them being carried in Afghanistan. I'm talking about straight up A2s; no fancy quad rail or flat top. Just the standard A2 they had when I first joined and M4s were stuff that only cool guys had.
  • Like 2

The A2's were still in service in the USMC when I got to my first unit in 2008. And TMF reported recently that some Army units are still using them. And I'm pretty sure he was refering to the SU line up. I had one, neat little rifle, but felt to much like a toy, the plastic flexed, the mags popped out of the stock holders when fired, the sights weren't all that great. It made a good rifle to fold up and throw behind a truck seat, but at current going prices, there are better options. I sold mine in favor of a custom AR-15, which to me is much more of a reliable tool than a toy.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Yeah I knew that the Army still used them, they're just not as common as the M4 or A4. A bud of mine was a combat MP and he preferred the M16 over the M4 any day of the week. Probably just varies unit to unit I suppose. I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure, sometimes hard to figure out what people are talking about on ze interwebs, lol.

Negative. They're still widely used by the Army with thousands of them being carried in Afghanistan. I'm talking about straight up A2s; no fancy quad rail or flat top. Just the standard A2 they had when I first joined and M4s were stuff that only cool guys had.

Just out of curiosity, are those front line units such as firebases or more on the FOB used by MP's? My thirst for knowledge demands to know! lol

Just out of curiosity, are those front line units such as firebases or more on the FOB used by MP's? My thirst for knowledge demands to know! lol

If I had to guess I'd say the majority are reservists or low density MOS augmentees from other units. Not too long ago I had a conversation with a very lost Army Captain who looked like he got mixed up on his way to Starbucks and ended up in Afghanistan. Had a 1st ID patch on and was dragging around an A2. I'd like to believe that he was never an active duty officer and they sent him over to keep the rocks from blowing away. Pretty much, the folks I see with the A2s tend to be POGs.... so much so that POGs would call these guys POGs. I'm seconds away from going on a rant about standards, so I'm just gonna stop there.
  • Like 1

Sweet looking rifle. I do not own an SU-16 but I do have a SUB2000 in .40 and a P32. I have had no problems with either of these Keltecs. I have never had any warranty issues but I have always heard their warranty dept was good to deal with. I did not know it was only warranty for the original owner as Oh Shoot was saying. I bought both of mine new so I should be ok.

Keltecs are not safe queens by any means, I would say they are more of a working man's gun. 

I looked real hard at these rifles but went with a budget AR build instead.

Sweet looking rifle. I do not own an SU-16 but I do have a SUB2000 in .40 and a P32. I have had no problems with either of these Keltecs. I have never had any warranty issues but I have always heard their warranty dept was good to deal with. I did not know it was only warranty for the original owner as Oh Shoot was saying. I bought both of mine new so I should be ok.

Keltecs are not safe queens by any means, I would say they are more of a working man's gun. 

I looked real hard at these rifles but went with a budget AR build instead.

There are tradeoffs in aesthetics, but you get chrome lined (and threaded) barrel & gas-piston action in a really light weight package.  I was looking at gas-piston adapter kits for a AR....wow !  Expensive! :eek:   I didn't pay much more for a whole gun in the KT.

I guess what I tried to say came out a bit twisted. I like the AR15 platform just fine. I don't like the buffer tube of the AR15, which would be my only real complaint. The cheap plastic feel I was talking about was the feel of the KT rifle. my "cheap plastic" comment was directed at the KT and not the AR15.

my military experience was from 1999-2009. Ive used M16A2s and M4s.

There are tradeoffs in aesthetics, but you get chrome lined (and threaded) barrel & gas-piston action in a really light weight package.  I was looking at gas-piston adapter kits for a AR....wow !  Expensive! :eek:   I didn't pay much more for a whole gun in the KT.

Stag, Adams Arms, PWS, and SIG make the cheapest piston guns on the market. LWRC also has an entry level piston gun that is also comperable, the M6-SL.

R Bert, What kind of optic is on your rifle in the pic?

I like the bipod/ foregrip also, looks similar to the one I have on my AR, or I should say my son's AR, he spent more on it than I did, he bought the upper and I bought the lower, mags, and a used red dot. Santa brought us some bulk ammo for Christmas last year so we have had some fun with it for sure.

I hope the OP has learned a lot of info from you R Bert. I can only vouch for the other models of Keltecs that I own but they have never let me down. I may end up with an SU-16 myself someday, you never know.

Oh Shoot, thanks for bringing up the changes in the Keltec warranty, good to know.

By the way, i forgot to welcome the OP, Robertgg to the forum. I am a newcomer as well but already I have learned a lot from the guys on TGO. Good luck making your decision on the SU-16.

R Bert, What kind of optic is on your rifle in the pic?

I like the bipod/ foregrip also, looks similar to the one I have on my AR, or I should say my son's AR, he spent more on it than I did, he bought the upper and I bought the lower, mags, and a used red dot. Santa brought us some bulk ammo for Christmas last year so we have had some fun with it for sure.

I hope the OP has learned a lot of info from you R Bert. I can only vouch for the other models of Keltecs that I own but they have never let me down. I may end up with an SU-16 myself someday, you never know.

Oh Shoot, thanks for bringing up the changes in the Keltec warranty, good to know.

By the way, i forgot to welcome the OP, Robertgg to the forum. I am a newcomer as well but already I have learned a lot from the guys on TGO. Good luck making your decision on the SU-16.

Grip Pod http://www.midwayusa.com/product/247209/grip-pod-vertical-grip-bipod-black-polymer

and

TruGlo 30mm - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/586644/truglo-red-dot-sight-30mm-tube-1x-5-moa-dot-with-integral-weaver-style-base-matte

(busted !  cheap optic- only $48 when I got it, and overpriced grip :x: )

This discussion is off the deep end IMHO.   KT makes inexpensive firearms.  Then we complain that they are ... well duh, cheaply made.  From my experience, the majority do not malfunction after break in, have a solid service department if you do manage to break it or get a lemon.   They also offer something different: apart from the self defense pistols, their products are all fairly unique in some way.  No one else is making anything like the 30 round 22 mag pistol.   Their new shotgun is unlike anything else on the market.  Their semiauto rifles are nothing like an AR and an interesting alternative; the only other real alternative there is the 100 year old garand design of the mini-14, which was not terribly innovative (by ruger, it was clearly a great design way back when).   The fold up carbines are nifty. 

They may not be for everyone, that is fine.  But their designs are important: far too many in the industry have little to no innovation and their designs are a rehash of things we knew in 1920.  Their 'mission statement' or whatever it is to sell reliable self defense handguns at a low cost so anyone can afford to defend themself has merits.  If you can afford better, buy what you like, but I would recommend respecting one of the only companies that is doing interesting design work.

I have a very similar budget red dot on my AR, nothing wrong with that, it works great for what I do with my rifle. Thanks for the info R_Bert!

This discussion is off the deep end IMHO.   KT makes inexpensive firearms.  Then we complain that they are ... well duh, cheaply made.  From my experience, the majority do not malfunction after break in, have a solid service department if you do manage to break it or get a lemon.   They also offer something different: apart from the self defense pistols, their products are all fairly unique in some way.  No one else is making anything like the 30 round 22 mag pistol.   Their new shotgun is unlike anything else on the market.  Their semiauto rifles are nothing like an AR and an interesting alternative; the only other real alternative there is the 100 year old garand design of the mini-14, which was not terribly innovative (by ruger, it was clearly a great design way back when).   The fold up carbines are nifty. 

They may not be for everyone, that is fine.  But their designs are important: far too many in the industry have little to no innovation and their designs are a rehash of things we knew in 1920.  Their 'mission statement' or whatever it is to sell reliable self defense handguns at a low cost so anyone can afford to defend themself has merits.  If you can afford better, buy what you like, but I would recommend respecting one of the only companies that is doing interesting design work.

Really ?  How so? 

I own six models from Kel-Tec, and thought that overall, that while there may be an extreme spread of viewpoints in the conversation, overall it has been balanced. 

Edited by R_Bert

Really ?  How so? 

I find complaints that inexpensive guns are cheaply made to be a bit over the top.  I mean, we all want top quality at bottom shelf prices, sure, but do we REALLY expect the cheap stuff to be have competition grade fit and finish and to be made of indestructium?   No one was rude, I was not saying that, it just seems illogical to expect so much from what is, in all honesty, an inexpensive, mostly plastic gun.  If you want steel, buy steel, its out there.

I find complaints that inexpensive guns are cheaply made to be a bit over the top.  I mean, we all want top quality at bottom shelf prices, sure, but do we REALLY expect the cheap stuff to be have competition grade fit and finish and to be made of indestructium?   No one was rude, I was not saying that, it just seems illogical to expect so much from what is, in all honesty, an inexpensive, mostly plastic gun.  If you want steel, buy steel, its out there.

Or...discuss the pros & cons with those who may not be aware, which is the case here.