Shooter at DC Navy Yard

One thing that never ceases to amaze me is there can be 5 people near a shooting or 5,000 and no one really sees anything that they can explain with surety. I guess that is why they have video cameras stuck up every where in our lives. Because people cannot comprehend anything going on around them with any credibility. But with that said was really amazes me much more is how many people don't know a gun shot when they hear one. I don't care what type of building I am in or if I am outside I know a gun shot when I hear one. One guy said it sounded like someone dropped a metal desk on the floor. That guy is an idiot...........jmho

If they couldn't pass significant legislation at the federal level after Sandy Hook, this has about as much chance of going anywhere as a car with a blown engine.

As a general rule, gun control legislation is never truly "dead".

More specifically with the current situation; their first attempt early in the year provided with all the info Obama and his cronies needed to know who's arms they have to twist (make promises to) to get their votes next time. Whether they can get anything through the House is questionable but every time we have mass shooting like this (and this on IN DC) I can almost guarantee you that a few who would have voted against such legislation last time would change the their position the next time around.

I'd be surprised if we don't see some new "common sense" changes get passed such as universal background checks (gun registration).

Jay "The" Carney is running from talks of gun control faster than Bin Laden running from a Cracker Barrel Breakfast Sampler.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/16/jay-carney-gun-control_n_3936666.html?1379363388

I'm more scared than ever now!  They're. . . learning. :ugh:

This can't be good.

Or, they know something about this attack that they're not sharing yet. And if the early reports are true, this ain't no garden variety "workplace violence" incident.

And THAT'S not good either.

• Like 2

Remember earlier when they were saying, "We see no evidence that this is terrorism."???

"No piece of information is too small," said Valerie Parlave, assistant director in charge of the office. "We are looking to learn everything we can about his recent movements, his contacts and associates."

It's unclear whether another gunman also opened fire at the headquarters for Naval Sea Systems Command -- and why the shooting occurred, Washington Mayor Vincent Gray told reporters.

"We'll continue to seek information about what the motive is. We don't have any reason at this stage to suspect terrorism," he said, "but certainly it has not been ruled out."

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives sent a team of about 20 special agents to the scene, a law enforcement official said. The team was the same group that helped apprehend Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the official said.

Security was stepped up at the Pentagon.

At least eight schools were on lockdown as a precaution, the Washington public schools said.

Air traffic to Reagan National Airport in northern Virginia, the closest airport to downtown Washington, was suspended but later resumed, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/16/us/dc-navy-yard-gunshots/

Ummm, yeah. . . this is very bad.

Thanks for the kind words & I appreciate the prayers. My brother hasn't been able to contact me directly, but I finally got word through my parents a while ago that he's fine. Between the shooting, lockdown, & traffic, it was several hours befor he made it home to be with his family & he called our parents & they relayed the good news to me. Apparently he was detained with other witnesses for questioning for a couple hours until they could get some of the chaos worked out. I've been gone most of the afternoon & haven't even seen the news since about noon today so I'm not caught up on all the events myself.

My prayers go out to any victims & their families of this tragic shooting.

• Like 8

Thanks for the kind words & I appreciate the prayers. My brother hasn't been able to contact me directly, but I finally got word through my parents a while ago that he's fine. Between the shooting, lockdown, & traffic, it was several hours befor he made it home to be with his family & he called our parents & they relayed the good news to me. Apparently he was detained with other witnesses for questioning for a couple hours until they could get some of the chaos worked out. I've been gone most of the afternoon & haven't even seen the news since about noon today so I'm not caught up on all the events myself.

My prayers go out to any victims & their families of this tragic shooting.

Glad to hear he's okay!!

• Like 1
Thanks for the kind words & I appreciate the prayers. My brother hasn't been able to contact me directly, but I finally got word through my parents a while ago that he's fine.

Since it's not government sanctioned, prayer works.  Great to hear that your brother's safe.

...This is proof that gun free zones are no safe.  Serious, how much safer could a gun free zone be then a military base Surrounded by a gun free zone (Washington DC)

Yep, and apparently he breached it with just a Biden approved double barrel shotgun and a stolen access card.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Lets all give Bill Clinton a big cheer. He was the one that had the orders written and he signed them soon as they were finished to take away the rights of our very well trained very good shots with almost any weapon military personnel from being able to even carry their own personal sidearms while on base in country. He disarmed our Military and made sitting ducks out of them on our bases. I hope he slept well after Ft. Hood where the carnage could have been far less if our troops would have been armed. Today he can be held accountable for our military again being a shooting gallery without a way to defend themselves once again.  and with that said, I have heard several different stories about the gun or guns this guy was suppose to have had. First report was shotgun, then a shotgun and a hand gun, then a shotgun, a hand gun and an AR. They I read reports that he was seen picking up the AR from a dead or wounded Military Security officer and the hand gun came from another wounded police officer. Has any figured out yet just how many guns the guy actually brought with him?  I mean if this guy had an AR and a shotgun and walked through the door he was a busy person and no one saw that.???????????????? I mean since he was military trained he would be familiar with almost any weapon he picked up.........jmho

• Like 2

Well the crap is already starting. Heard on the news as I was walking out the door "gun control blah blah restrict this, restrict that, etc."

Yep, MSNBC has of course hit it hot and heavy all of prime time. And a secondary rant on violent video games, to which he was addicted also, seems.

Btw, now it seems he used his own access card, still had legitimate access. Which is quickly turning into a background security check fail, since turns out he has had two arrests for gun related incidents.

Still no confirmation why he was discharged from Naval reserve, and there are also unconfirmed reports he has lost his job as subcontractor with Hewlitt Packard, so if that's true it's a double security fail, as shouldn't have had access.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2
Guest TankerHC

Listening to the Conservative Talk tonight, they did some investigating. This guy disappeared, no one knew where he was for a long time, not even his family. His father said he had no idea where he was at. Reprts were that he was in Thailand, but no one seems to know where. He also had mental health issues, was dishonorably discharged, and was released once in Texas for accidently discharging a firearm in the city and arrested the second time for shooting someones tires out. 

On a second note, not specifically referring to bersaguys post, because I have been hearing everyone say it. While listening to half a dozen legit conservative talk shows, they all said how Bill Clinton disarmed the soldiers on post. I know that not to be the case at all. 

I have owned firearms my entire military career. Owned them before joining and brought them with me, bought them in Army Rod and Gun Clubs all over the world and US. At no time, from 81 was I ever allowed to carry a firearm on post. If you lived in the barracks, your personal weapons were stored in the Arms Room. If you wanted to get them out, you had to make arrangements with the armorer. If you lived off post, you had to notify the MP's when you were bringing them on, to go to the range or hunt for example. They had to be declared. At no time, Concealed Permit or not, where we ever allowed to carry guns on post.Back in the early 80's it was worse than when I retired. you had to have a DoD permit for each and every gun unless you lived off post. If you were in Europe, had to have a permit to buy a gun. Each gun. As an example, here is my permit to purchase and own a Beretta 92 FB-S back in 85. your permits were good for 5 years. FOR EACH GUN. If you were transferring, you had to get your paperwork in no later than 60 days or your guns were not going with you, either direction, overseas or stateside. I lost a 700 BDL in 83 because of that and a Model 29 and a CZ75 in 88 for the same reason, I was one day late on the Model 29 and CZ75. I had one choice, turn them over to the MP's, or have the MP's hold them while a family member did the paperwork. Since all of my family in Germany, were Germans, I lost both guns.I bought plenty of guns when Clinton was President, took them to the range at Hood and Carson. didnt see any change in the rules. 

In fact, up until the 3 Star before the current one took over III Corp at Hood, you could at least bring your handguns on post. It was that 3 Star who banned handguns from Hood. ALL handguns. Presidents didnt get in the way of local Command Policies, not even Clinton. 

But they are saying it all over the news, I know that.

brettagermanyjpeg_zps1f2c1977.jpeg

Guest TankerHC

And here is the policy right on back of the card. Army wide. Mine is A because I lived off post. And this is in 85. Long before Bill Clinton. And not everyone who lived off post could retain in quarters, that was left up to the command. You also couldnt even buy a gun if the Command didnt sign the paperwork to get one of these. You might get one off Post, get caught with it on post, you azz was in big trouble. From 81 to 90 somthing, Stateside permissions were done at local command level (Company or Troop) on DF's then whatever they changed the DF's too, cant remember.  

If Clinton disarmed anyone, it must have been the Marines, Air Force and Navy. Because the Army policies were already strict. And they were that way in 2001, 2002 - 2006 when I went hunting on Military installations, and 2010 when I took 6 guys down to Shelby on a Tank Range tour and vehicle tour. They wanted to take their Carry Guns and I called and was told no, you can only bring guns if there is a way of securing them while on Post. The MP's didnt have room in the Arms Room, no carry guns on post and only rifles and shotguns during hunting season, declared with special permission. 

berettagermanypolicy_zpsc8c6f533.jpeg

Edited by TankerHC

I will never understand why when something like this happens people always look to blame someone else.  It's like some kinda instinctive response.  Either it's the gun, video games, poor mental health care, a vast consipiracy by liberals/tea party/NWO/FEMA/godlessness/mil ind comlex/blah m'fing blah.

You know, one thing I've noticed about all that is the folks who always seek to blame someone else have an agenda regarding whatever they are saying caused the incident in the first place.  How effing selfish is that to make whatever tragedy that comes up all about yourself or your agenda?  Standing on the graves of the fallen to prove your weak a$$ agenda.  Shameful.  Maybe, just maybe, we can just admit that evil people exist and there ain't a damn thing you can do about it until that evil identifies itself with violent action.  That is how it is, how it has always been and how it always will be.

• Like 5
Guest TankerHC

I will never understand why when something like this happens people always look to blame someone else.  It's like some kinda instinctive response.  Either it's the gun, video games, poor mental health care, a vast consipiracy by liberals/tea party/NWO/FEMA/godlessness/mil ind comlex/blah m'fing blah.

You know, one thing I've noticed about all that is the folks who always seek to blame someone else have an agenda regarding whatever they are saying caused the incident in the first place.  How effing selfish is that to make whatever tragedy that comes up all about yourself or your agenda?  Standing on the graves of the fallen to prove your weak a$$ agenda.  Shameful.  Maybe, just maybe, we can just admit that evil people exist and there ain't a damn thing you can do about it until that evil identifies itself with violent action.  That is how it is, how it has always been and how it always will be.

+!000

Mass murders didnt just start with the invention of the AR-15