TGO Lowers "what your going to build" "how to build" General discussion thread

Luke E.

Thought I would start this to see what everybody was planning to build with their TGO lowers and uppers and also to make it less likely to miss an announcement about the lower purchasing process.

So i'll start out, I am planning on 2 lowers and at least one upper but possibly 2,

I've just finished a Blackout which is what I had planned to do with the TGO lower before the original manufacturer backed out so no i'm exploring other options. i have been wanting a pistol caliber (9mm or .45) AR for a long time now which is why I am on the fence about 1 or 2 uppers. I have started looking into pistol cal upper components but haven't gotten far yet but this is the plan for lower #1

Lower #2, I am leaning heavily at the 6.8spc but have not completely ruled out the 6.5 Grendel. I hand load so ammo availability isn't a huge factor but I do want brass availability to be decent.

These are my tentative plans so what are yours?

300 BLK pistol

I thought the lower had to be sold as a pistol to build a pistol on legally speaking? I may be wrong, but I was thinking that a lower that was manaufactered as a pistol lower could be built into a rifle or pistol, but a rifle couldnt be built into a pistol. Of course, the ATF's rules on AR's and nfa items are so incredibly twisted and messed up that I may be mixed up quiet easily.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Mine will eventually be a 300 BLK once I get the components to reload for it. For now it will be a magpulled out 5.56 with a 12 inch free float and HK style sights. The rifle already exists, so I'm just switching out the lower and upper. The forged lower and upper that gets decommissioned will be recommissioned as an AR pistol.

for those going to pistol ya might wanna read up to make sure your lower gets registered as a pistol.I believe Dolomite wrote something about it, but its pretty important. Erring on the side of caution, hate to hear of someone getting dinged for a sbr when pistol was the intent...

• Moderators

I thought the lower had to be sold as a pistol to build a pistol on legally speaking? I may be wrong, but I was thinking that a lower that was manaufactered as a pistol lower could be built into a rifle or pistol, but a rifle couldnt be built into a pistol. Of course, the ATF's rules on AR's and nfa items are so incredibly twisted and messed up that I may be mixed up quiet easily.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

A receiver is neither a rifle nor a pistol and can be built into either as long as it is not transferred initially as a rifle on the 4473/ dealer log.

/\ I think this is correct from everything I have read.   I am also planning to build a 300 BLK Pistol.  Got most everything ordered today to complete the build.  If I end up getting a second receiver set I will make a 204 Ruger Varmint Rifle.

From what I understand, as long as the lower was not bought with a buttstock, has not had a buttstock on it before it was made into a pistol, and was not transferred as a rifle (to TDR's point), then it is legal.  As long as you first make a pistol and don't put a buttstock on it with the pistol upper, you are legal.  It's really quite silly as the same gun can be considered a Pistol or SBR simply by if it had a buttstock on the lower when you bought it and depending how it was transferred.

Someone else may correct me, but from everything I have read, that is correct.

Edited by Hozzie
I am really thinking about either doing a varmint rifle. Or something crazy. Does anyone know if the 458 socom barrel can be put into a 5.56 upper? :D Oh and on the pistol/rifle The ffl will transfer it as other. If made a pistol it can be changed to a rifle then back to a pistol. But if it starts its life as a rifle it cannot be changed to a pistol. Edited by sL1k

I am really thinking about either doing a varmint rifle. Or something crazy. Does anyone know if the 458 socom barrel can be put into a 5.56 upper? :DOh and on the pistol/rifle The ffl will transfer it as other. If made a pistol it can be changed to a rifle then back to a pistol. But if it starts its life as a rifle it cannot be changed to a pistol.

Yes, .458 will work. I would love to have one, but not being a reloader is going to be bad enough with a 300 BLK. I'd never be able to afford to shoot the 458.

I am really thinking about either doing a varmint rifle. Or something crazy. Does anyone know if the 458 socom barrel can be put into a 5.56 upper? :D Oh and on the pistol/rifle The ffl will transfer it as other. If made a pistol it can be changed to a rifle then back to a pistol. But if it starts its life as a rifle it cannot be changed to a pistol.

Yes, to my knowledge the socom is an AR15 platform cartridge. I've never fired one but I understand it to have a lot of thump on the shoulder. I also remember reading some other members comment on the price per round being a bit high so you might consider adding loading equipment in on the build price  :rofl:

Yes, .458 will work. I would love to have one, but not being a reloader is going to be bad enough with a 300 BLK. I'd never be able to afford to shoot the 458.

TDR, I can prolly help you out with some Blackout ammo when it comes time for it because you are right, it can be tough if you don't load for it yourself. Not so much because of price per round as it is so hard to find.

Edited by Luke E.
  • Like 1
[quote name="Luke E." post="1034126" timestamp="1379388357"] Yes, to my knowledge the socom is an AR15 platform cartridge. I've never fired one but I understand it to have a lot of thump on the shoulder. I also remember reading some other members comment on the price per round being a bit high so you might consider adding loading equipment in on the build price :rofl:[/quote] Rightwinger let me shoot his, and they are awesome. The recoil is not bad at all. Unlike the .223/5.56, you know your shooting something, but not bad. As far as I know, other than the barrel and ammo, everything else isbthe same, even the magazines. Edited by TripleDigitRide

I thought the lower had to be sold as a pistol to build a pistol on legally speaking?...

for those going to pistol ya might wanna read up to make sure your lower gets registered as a pistol.

TripeDigit has it correct.

1. We don't have registration in TN

2. As far as the 4473, since 8/2008, all lowers are to be transferred as "other firearm" on question 18 and "receiver" on question 29. Even if it is a complete lower, even if it has a stock on it, even if it's some kind of receiver that can only be built as a rifle.  It can't be a "long gun" or a "handgun" without a barreled upper on it. Note there are still some idiot FFLs around, so it's good to check 4473 to be sure, as they fill that part out after you fill out your part.

3. Federally, a virgin lower may be built as rifle or pistol. If it is built as a pistol first, it can go back and forth between pistol and rifle. If it begins life as a rifle, it must forever stay a rifle. This applies to used lowers also, btw, whether you know their history or not.

And incidentally, I'll probably use the TGO lower to replace the plastic fantastic Omni I have on my AR pistol.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

2. As far as the 4473, since 8/2008, all lowers are to be transferred as "other firearm" on question 18 and "receiver" on question 29. Even if it is a complete lower, even if it has a stock on it, even if it's some kind of receiver that can only be built as a rifle.  It can't be a "long gun" or a "handgun" without a barreled upper on it. Note there are still some idiot FFLs around, so it's good to check 4473 to be sure, as they fill that part out after you fill out your part.

3. Federally, a virgin lower may be built as rifle or pistol. If it is built as a pistol first, it can go back and forth between pistol and rifle. If it begins life as a rifle, it must forever stay a rifle. This applies to used lowers also, btw, whether you know their history or not.

And incidentally, I'll probably use the TGO lower to replace the plastic fantastic Omni I have on my AR pistol.

- OS

- OS

How would one know whether or not you had outfitted it as a pistol first and and not the other way around assuming you bought as a stripped lower and built it yourself? I suppose one would want to keep the pistol parts on hand huh.

How would one know whether or not you had outfitted it as a pistol first and and not the other way around assuming you bought as a stripped lower and built it yourself? I suppose one would want to keep the pistol parts on hand huh.

They have no way of knowing. If you're concerned just build as a pistol and take photo documentation with the gun laying next to a card with date written on it.

I wouldn't fret too much. Just build the gun you want, chances are if you want something else you'll buy another receiver :D
  • Like 1

I want to deer hunt with mine, so I'm thinking 300 blackout. My concern is finding ammo for it. So, I may have to go with something where ammo is more available.

DaveS

It's coming around, but without reloading plinking and target practice are gonna be challenging.

There is plenty if good ($$$$) hunting ammo out on the interwebs

Well, this thread has made me think about doing mine as a pistol to start... since it can then go to a rifle later...

Yeah, whenever I'm building a new AR I put a pistol barrel on it and a buffer tube with no stock.  Then I go drink a beer, return to my build, remove the barrel, put on a full length and attach a stock.  Yup, each time....

Stupid rules are meant to be ignored.  The ATF can suck it on that one.

• Like 1

They have no way of knowing. If you're concerned just build as a pistol and take photo documentation with the gun laying next to a card with date written on it.

I wouldn't fret too much. Just build the gun you want, chances are if you want something else you'll buy another receiver :D

I'm not really concerned about it because I have no use for an AR in pistol form other than it makes it really easy to throw a stock on and have an sbr as soon as paperwork comes in. If I get to thinking about it to much I may be trying to find a local TGO member that wouldn't mind meeting me and letting me snap a few picks with their pistol upper and buffer in place....