TGO Lowers "what your going to build" "how to build" General discussion thread

Luke E.

• Admin Team

Now, you're getting specialized enough to make it a valid choice. You're not talking a plinker gun. I'm more likely to use an 870. I'm not skeered of having to repaint a wall or two :)

Yes, unfortunately I have separated my weapons.  Our family likes to shoot, and we have firearms that fill that "sporting purpose".  We have weapons that are for the defense of myself, my wife and our children, and those are driven by an entirely different set of considerations.

My wife falls into your school.  I wouldn't want to get between her and the Benelli.

We all make choices...

If you don't have a dedicated .22 you don't know what you're missing.

Pew pew pew? :) I have 3 semi-auto 22's. They haven't been out of the house in a few years. Two have been kicked out of the safe to make room for center fire guns. I just don't shoot any rimfire. If I did, I would have a dedicated one for sure. I'm just fine with my ammo cost for .223.

Pew pew pew? :) I have 3 semi-auto 22's. They haven't been out of the house in a few years. Two have been kicked out of the safe to make room for center fire guns. I just don't shoot any rimfire. If I did, I would have a dedicated one for sure. I'm just fine with my ammo cost for .223.

Well, I think how we spend our range time with our ARs is a little different too. I have to say though, my .22 is my favorite of all my rifles, and I got a few cool things in the closet.

Well, I think how we spend our range time with our ARs is a little different too. I have to say though, my .22 is my favorite of all my rifles, and I got a few cool things in the closet.

Sure. I probably don't shoot as much as you. When I do, I'm likely to be tweaking one. 

OK... I'll give you the ease of reloading. My rifle prep isn't bad, because I HATE case prep. I bit the bullet on some good tools, so that alone won't drive me to a caliber choice either. If I was trimming in 3 stages under human power... hell yes, gimme some 9mm! For me personally, it's so far below the platform's capabilities that it's not something I would do. I don't have any orphaned uppers. They're all complete rifles.

Like you, I'm probably headed toward a Grendel. I <hope> the receivers are that good. So much for economy and ease of loading, eh? That will all be done on my Coax press with Lapua brass.

My rifle case prep time is very low compared to most but and there are really only about two commercially available ways to do it faster. That being said, I can load 9mm or .45 quicker because of almost zero case prep. If I'm building something to cheaply punch holes in paper at close range why should I care if it's gas or blowback? It's not like I don't have other ARs in rifle calibers to shoot whenever I want and I feel like most folks looking to build pistol cal. uppers are in the same boat.
As far as case prep and Grendel goes, I'm really not the least bit concerned with it. I won't be building it to go out and rip off 1-2-300 rounds at close ranges so time isn't a concern for me for this caliber.
Like I said though, I can fire rifle cartridges in multiple calibers in my ARs therefore I don't find it to be a stupid idea to build an upper that runs pistol cartridges.

Exactly. It's not unusual to burn through 4-500 .223 in a half day range trip. Sometimes a fair bit more and sometimes a bit less if I'm shooting a lot of pistol or bolt gun. I bought most of my .223 supplies from David back before things got crazy so as far as cost per round goes, I'm in them really good.

Sure. I probably don't shoot as much as you. When I do, I'm likely to be tweaking one.

Well, with the kids I don't don't see much range time anymore, but when I do my AR rifle work it is normally high volumes of ammo and flat range reflexive fire between 7m and 25m. Not much long distance.

Now, you're getting specialized enough to make it a valid choice. You're not talking a plinker gun. I'm more likely to use an 870. I'm not skeered of having to repaint a wall or two :)

EDIT: I will add, though, that one of the main reasons to use an AR for HD is its ability to penetrate soft armor.

On a completely note, have you had any luck picking up much Grendel range brass? A few years back when I decided that I wanted to build one I started really watching for the brass but just don't see too much of it. Edited by Luke E.

On a completely note, have you had any luck picking up much Grendel range brass? A few years back when I decided that I wanted to build one I started really watching for the brass but just don't see too much of it.

I haven't priced anything yet for the Grendel. But, I don't leave any brass at the range if I can help it, and certainly not the expensive stuff like Lapua or .458 SOCOM brass. 

Well, with the kids I don't don't see much range time anymore, but when I do my AR rifle work it is normally high volumes of ammo and flat range reflexive fire between 7m and 25m. Not much long distance.

I shoot some pretty big volumes sometimes. I've just been working thru a big pile of Wolf. When I'm done, I'm gonna quit shooting that stuff, and my world may change. My brass stuff is cheap enough, but does require the reloading effort. I'll know more when I finally burn thru the rest of the Wolf. 

There IS a Giraud annealing machine in my future. It's the only part of reloading that goes great with beer!

I shoot some pretty big volumes sometimes. I've just been working thru a big pile of Wolf. When I'm done, I'm gonna quit shooting that stuff, and my world may change. My brass stuff is cheap enough, but does require the reloading effort. I'll know more when I finally burn thru the rest of the Wolf.

There IS a Giraud annealing machine in my future. It's the only part of reloading that goes great with beer!

I typically don't leave brass at the range on purpose but I haven't found any Grendel brass at the range but have scored a bit while digging through my brass connections stockpile so I just buy it along with whatever else I was after. I tend to do this for any calibers that I even think I might build an AR or AR upper for someday. I have started saving Grendel and 6.8 cases for guns that aren't even built... Yet..
I love to watch YouTube videos of annealing machines! I have quite a .223 stockpile and can add more easily so I've not been all that concerned with annealing but since I've been converting it into blackout brass I've thought more about it. I actually enjoy working brass but converting is time consuming and if annealing will make that bass last a fair bit longer then it warrants a hard second look.

with these 2 and the 1 I have.

I might built 3

a .556, 300, and a .458.

I have a pink CMT receiver.  I think when I get around to building that one. I should use a chrome barrel and stuff and really make it pretty with a .458.

think about taking a pink and chrome rifle to the range that shoots a .458.

I exchanged emails with CMT today re .458 SOCOM. They hope to have a slick side upper available by EOY that will accommodate it (the TGO upper will not)

SO gurus....what's the baddest thing that work without mods ??

• Like 1

I exchanged emails with CMT today re .458 SOCOM. They hope to have a slick side upper available by EOY that will accommodate it (the TGO upper will not)

The only mod required is to open up the ejection port a little. I have a mill and will be modding one of mine. I could probably help you out if you wanted to build a 458.
  • Like 1

The only mod required is to open up the ejection port a little. I have a mill and will be modding one of mine. I could probably help you out if you wanted to build a 458.

Thank you,

I put a post-it note on my board, may be getting back with you.  TGO rocks. 

Question -  the TGO BCG works with .458 SOCOM? Does the BCG even include the bolt?  (I know...dumb question, but AR newbie here)

Edited by R_Bert
  • Admin Team

Thank you,

I put a post-it note on my board, may be getting back with you. TGO rocks.

Question - the TGO BCG works (does the BCG even include the bolt? I know...dumb question, but AR newbie here)

The "group" in bolt carrier group is what's usually indicative if the bolt being included. Otherwise you'll just see it stated as bolt carrier.
  • Like 1

When I built mine, the group I got my barrel from was very specific about providing the bolt along with the barrel to make sure it headspaced correctly.

Can you provide mfg web links?

Edited by R_Bert

Give Buddy a call down at Southern Ballistic Research in Brunswick, GA. They're the group that Marty sent all his tooling and specs to when he went overseas.

They built my 458 SOCOM barrel and my .338 Spectre barrel from pac-nor blanks.

Great guys to deal with.

http://www.sbrammunition.com

Here's a video of CMT's mill in action. I'm thinking it would be a couple of edits in their CNC program to do a .458 upper. I know, easier said than done. It would be nice sometime down the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RqeUG393EkE

Here's a video of CMT's mill in action. I'm thinking it would be a couple of edits in their CNC program to do a .458 upper. I know, easier said than done. It would be nice sometime down the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RqeUG393EkE

I asked directly if CMT could help make it work, and was given the above mentioned reply on the future design. Curious, how material has to be removed?

Edited by R_Bert