TGO Lowers "what your going to build" "how to build" General discussion thread

Luke E.

It will all depend on pricing for me, but if I get the lower/upper this will be my first build and first AR platform (I shoot my neighbors all the time though).

I had planned on buying like a RRA or DPMS by the end of this year but would love to build and customize my own. I have started shopping around for parts, even a complete upper, so I have an idea of prices but still not sure of everything I would need to purchase.
And I would certainly like to find someone in the area I could perform the build with (I don't have any of the tools obviously).

Will see how it plays out but I'm excited.
Guest Keal G Seo

I'm just going to do a 5.56 pretty basic build.

If anyone in the area of Cosby/Newport needs/wants some person to person help feel free to msg me and we can get together. I know all the small parts can be a bit overwhelming for a first timer, but I promise after you build one you will see how simple it really is and be addicted to building them yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Really still undecided, but the idea of a 300 BLK sure is tempting. And I've thought I might like and SBR someday. Maybe this is the route to go. Really need to get busy and start looking for parts. As well as search to find what I need to be safe and legal in the possible SBR.

But the flexibility in building as a pistol initially sure is safer.  

Probably do as I seem to do everything else....a last  second decision.

6.5 Grendel is next for me. It will be my 4th caliber in the AR-15 platform. The Grendel is a true long range caliber. AFIK, the only long range caliber for the AR, if you don't count 90gr .223.

For those that aren't aware, the Grendel is based on the 6.5 mm PPC, which is the basis for the 6mm BR and 6mm Dasher. Cool stuff.

Edited by mikegideon

question.  I don't think I have seen this but someone I know suggested another route.

Is it possible to built them into 308/7.62×51mm NATO? 

if so, pros/cons?

I am thinking no but I don't have a 308 shell in the house to even compare sizes.

I believe there would be too much of a size difference.

Edited by vontar

question.  I don't think I have seen this but someone I know suggested another route.

Is it possible to built them into 308/7.62×51mm NATO? 

if so, pros/cons?

I am thinking no but I don't have a 308 shell in the house to even compare sizes.

I believe there would be too much of a size difference.

No, you have to get a different lower. A .308 AR is referred to as AR-10. And the parts between the AR-10 makers are not nearly as universal as the AR-15 world.

- OS

• Like 1

I dont know a lot about ar's so bear with me.  Since this lower can not be used for 308 upper, what other good deer calibers could I turn this lower into.  I know a lot of people hunt deer with the 223 but I prefer a larger round.

I dont know a lot about ar's so bear with me. Since this lower can not be used for 308 upper, what other good deer calibers could I turn this lower into. I know a lot of people hunt deer with the 223 but I prefer a larger round.

300 Blackout is an excellent choice for deer in this area.

I dont know a lot about ar's so bear with me.  Since this lower can not be used for 308 upper, what other good deer calibers could I turn this lower into.  I know a lot of people hunt deer with the 223 but I prefer a larger round.

6.8SPC and .300BLK are turning out to be the hunters choices, of late.  >300BLK is about similar to a 30-30 balistically and all you need differnent form .223 is the barrel.  Literally all other parts are standard AR