TGO Lowers "what your going to build" "how to build" General discussion thread

Luke E.

6.8spc, 6.5 grendel, .300blackout, 7.62x39mm, .458socom, .50 beowulf. Or single shot bolt action .50bmg

All suitable for deer.

I should have stated that I already have a 458 socom.  I am looking for something cheaper to shoot and hunt with.  I do not reload so the 458 can get a little pricey.

The 300 black out seems like it is really getting popular.  That will probably be the direction I go with this build.

Speaking of the 458.  Here is a slo mo video of my nephew shooting my 458.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZhAW-OSi2c&feature=player_embedded

I should have stated that I already have a 458 socom.  I am looking for something cheaper to shoot and hunt with.  I do not reload so the 458 can get a little pricey.

The 300 black out seems like it is really getting popular.  That will probably be the direction I go with this build.

6.8SPC and .300 are the most comercially available.  .300 isnt super cheap but it was really becoming a normal availability befer Sandy Hook

Looking forward to hearing what you find out.

Me too.  With the price of .223 being so high I'm thinking that something in 9mm might be cool. I've already told the GF she could have this one so that might be even better.

What magazines would it use?

Okay guys, dumb question time. Ive never built an AR before. If I buy one of the PSA lower build kits and upper build kits will that be all i need (other than barrel, handguard and sights)?

Anyone around Knoxville want to have a get together/ building party?

I would be more than glad to give you a helping hand, Major.

• Like 1

.458 is what got me started reloading. I can afford hand loads. Rightwinger sez the .458 does a number on deer... "Kills 'em dead". :)

Okay guys, dumb question time. Ive never built an AR before. If I buy one of the PSA lower build kits and upper build kits will that be all i need (other than barrel, handguard and sights)?

Count me in.

I probably won't have all my parts together for a while, but regardless I want to take part in a build party around Knoxville or Oak Ridge.

BTW, I am really thinking about building it as a pistol caliber AR. Im not sure, but maybe, .45, 10mm, 9mm. Ive sent an email inquiring about some possibilities

I'm also looking into pistol calibers. I've been wanting one for some time now and I've pretty well landed on 9mm. I was thinking seriously about .45 but a while back another TGO member, a childhood friend and I were out shooting on the friends farm. We had targets set at 100 & 130 yards and decided to take turns shooting pistols at those distances. My M&P 9mm was shooting fairly flat at 100 and a couple feet low at 130 and then I switched to .45 which was like 10-12' low at 130. I wasn't upset about it but it made me lean heavily toward the 9mm for an AR upper. Not that I'm looking to get an ultra precision long distance rifle out of it but I wouldn't mind being in the same zip code at 100.
The 10mm sounds intriguing though. I'm not familiar with the cartridge other than its a .40 projectile. What would you compare it too?
Btw, Rock River has some decent pistol uppers as well as CMMG but that's about as far as I've gotten with it.

Me too. With the price of .223 being so high I'm thinking that something in 9mm might be cool. I've already told the GF she could have this one so that might be even better.

What magazines would it use?

It would depend who's upper you bought I suppose. Unless there is something I don't know about, if you use and ar15 lower then you will use an adapter that slides the the mag well which accepts stick mags. I would recommend sticking with one that accepted glock mags as they seem to be the cheapest and most available.

Man I'd be happy to get together. I have vise block for the upper. I just use an old steel mag as a lower block. Works fine.

All we'll need is someone in knox with a bench and a vise
[quote name="Luke E." post="1043781" timestamp="1380923168"] I'm also looking into pistol calibers. I've been wanting one for some time now and I've pretty well landed on 9mm. I was thinking seriously about .45 but a while back another TGO member, a childhood friend and I were out shooting on the friends farm. We had targets set at 100 & 130 yards and decided to take turns shooting pistols at those distances. My M&P 9mm was shooting fairly flat at 100 and a couple feet low at 130 and then I switched to .45 which was like 10-12' low at 130. I wasn't upset about it but it made me lean heavily toward the 9mm for an AR upper. Not that I'm looking to get an ultra precision long distance rifle out of it but I wouldn't mind being in the same zip code at 100. The 10mm sounds intriguing though. I'm not familiar with the cartridge other than its a .40 projectile. What would you compare it too? Btw, Rock River has some decent pistol uppers as well as CMMG but that's about as far as I've gotten with it.[/quote] You have to remember velocity increases with barrel length. So a .45 bullet will obtain higher muzzle velocity out of a 16" barrel than your pistol. 10mm is just like .40 only 1500fps :D and that's out of a pistol. Carbines can push up to, 1700-1800 FPS with true 10mm loads. Most factory 10mm is loaded weak to prevent unsupported chamber failures (certain model pistols). Double tap and Underwood ammo load to full potential Edited by Lumber_Jack

Man I'd be happy to get together. I have vise block for the upper. I just use an old steel mag as a lower block. Works fine.

All we'll need is someone in knox with a bench and a vise

What a coincidink, I just so happen to have a lower reciever vice block made of Delrin, heh heh. If I can bring my buddy he can get one lower together in about 10-15 minutes, so long as he has an extra pair of hands.

Edited by whitewolf001

You have to remember velocity increases with barrel length. So a .45 bullet will obtain higher muzzle velocity out of a 16" barrel than your pistol. 10mm is just like .40 only 1500fps :D and that's out of a pistol. Carbines can push up to, 1700-1800 FPS with true 10mm loads. Most factory 10mm is loaded weak to prevent unsupported chamber failures (certain model pistols). Double tap and Underwood ammo load to full potential

Yea I've factored that in to my decision making process but even with the extra speed it will still have a pretty good drop. I'm still on the fence with it because I think it would seldom be used past 50yds. One the I omitted from the scenario is that at the 100yd distance we were shooting at a 3/8' steel plate and a full size truck brake rotor at 130yds. Shooting my cast lead bullets the .45 was rocking straight through the 3/8" steel plate at 100yds every time and through the brake rotor most of the time (when you hit it lol) but the 9mm was leaving a good dent but never pierced it.

Sounds like the 10mm is plenty stout! I'll have to find someone local that has one that I can shoot. 

I'll be building one that will (eventually) be my son's and one that will be my daughter's (they are 5).  

Knowing it will be years before they truly take posession, what should I build them?

How old do you think they will be when you will feel comfortable giving them to them? Or rather teach them to shoot them? Whether you think you will allow them to start shooting at 8yrs or at 12yrs makes a difference. Also going with a pistol caliber or even a .223/5.56 would be okay because you could always throw a .22lr conversion in them until you think they are ready to move up. That may be the best idea because you could use them in a caliber of your choice and then throw a .22 conversion in when they are ready or even just build new uppers to suit their needs and abilities.

• Like 1

Can a tgo upper be made into a 9mm?

I'm not 100% sure, I think the CMMG or Rock River pistol caliber uppers are standard AR15 upper receivers that have a Brass deflector that is forward of the original covering a portion of the ejection port. Maybe LumberJack has researched it enough to be able to say for sure?

[quote name="Lester Weevils" post="1043928" timestamp="1380939553"] Can a tgo upper be made into a 9mm?[/quote] I'm not sure the caveats of building pistol caliber upper. From what I understand any upper can be used but that's as much as I've found. But don't worry Lester I WILL find the answers and let you know. I think like Luke said, most uppers are standard with the brass deflector and short dust cover. But I've read most times the brass doesn't even touch the deflector. So I'm not sure if any other tricks to building one. Edited by Lumber_Jack