Smith and Wesson M&P's

dlmeadows

Why do they get such a bad rep? Ive heard so many people talking about how bad the trigger sucks, and how they dont group etc etc. I'll debate the accuracy of them with anyone, and as far as the trigger, Its a polymer framed pistol so yes the trigger sucks, just like an xd and a glock stock trigger sucks. Apex can fix that very easily. Im first and formost a 1911 guy, but I own a M&P and love it.....
  • Like 1

They have a great reputation; they are very popular among both the civilian carry community and LEO duty users. You will always have people that say negative things about any gun or company. I have five M&Ps and don’t have any problem with the triggers.

Smith and Wesson is the pentacle of customer service should you need it and they are knocking out the foreign competition while holding price; of course they will get heat. All American made, accurate, very high quality, reliable, many options, and the best customer service in the business; what’s not to like.

I came very, very close to buying my first one a few weeks ago. But the trigger was AWFUL. And I'm a Glock guy, I have a fairly high tolerance for bad triggers. This trigger was next level bad. I still want one, and most likely will pick one up at some point. If felt like sand was being rubbed against the trigger as you pulled it. They seem like great guns, and I really want to try one out. I just couldn't see putting down $500 right now on one with a trigger that bad. 

I love my M&P 9mm full frame and would really like to pick up the M&P 9 PRO. Yes, the stock triggers are pretty bad but so are the Glocks that i've tried but when you rack the slide on an M&P it sounds like a pistol should unlike the Glock which sounds like a cheap pogo stick. Now you can polish the Glock's internals and install upgraded trigger parts and you will have a fine pistol but the same goes for the M&P, you can call Apex and have them send you a lil bags of goodies and have a great trigger. I am not against Glocks but I do prefer the M&P. Mine has Apex trigger parts and i'm planning to upgrade the trigger itself to the newer not so flexible one they offer now and that should make this pistol everything I could ask for short of a 1911 trigger being shoe horned into it  :ugh:

They should be ashamed for putting out a gun with that trigger on it.  Luckily, the Apex kit makes it a great trigger.

Also, there was a known accuracy issue with a lot of their early 9mm's.  From what I've seen lately though, that has been fixed with the newer barrel design.

I have a newer 9mm pro core with an apex trigger kit that I love.

They should be ashamed for putting out a gun with that trigger on it. Luckily, the Apex kit makes it a great trigger.
Also, there was a known accuracy issue with a lot of their early 9mm's. From what I've seen lately though, that has been fixed with the newer barrel design.
I have a newer 9mm pro core with an apex trigger kit that I love.

Nor really. I think it was more of an internet rumbling. The only problems were with slow moving 147g ammo that some of the competition shooters were having with the slow barrel twist.
They did tighten up the barrel lock up and changed the twisty rates.
I for a newer barrel just because I could, but I never had any problems. I too added the apex kit and their RAM kit. Love it.
Anybody that fusses about an M&P never shot a Sigma! THAT was a terrible trigger! That being said, it was also my very first gun. Learning to shoot a gun with a 12lb, half-inch trigger pull will teach you discipline and technique! It's like having the worst revolver without ever being able to cock it and shoot SA.

Love my M&P 40 fs, btw. And the Apex mods are on the horizon.
That trigger in the Sigma was horrible. I own 3 M&P's, two compacts one in 9 and one in 45. The third is the 9mm VTAC. I think they are as dialed in as glock and the xd. I actualy carry my 9c. I like that you can change the palm swell and rock it right out of the box.

Went and shot mine today. Love it. I will say of the three FS 9mm's I've had the first one i got had an awesome factory trigger. I don't know what they did to that early one but it was GREAT right out of the box. Felt just like my Apex one now. Second one I got, felt like it was pulling across sandpaper. Just like the negative reviews I had read about. Apex Kit fixed that. My current one had a fairly good trigger out of the box. Felt a bit "squishy" compared to a Glock. It had a better break but no reset. Apex and RAM kits have made it a wonderful trigger.

I have never owned one, but I have shot two M&P 9's. I had no complaints with either, and the triggers felt fine to me. I think a lot of people expect to get a gun with a polished 3 lb trigger from the factory...unless you order a custom it ain't gonna happen. Some people just like to complain. And we all know the old saying about opinions, lol.

I will say that ergonomically, those M&P's were probably the most comfy guns I've ever held. I'd still like to have one someday. I had my eye on a 9C a while back but didn't bite. What many people don't understand is that for defensive purposes (should you be faced with such), you'll likely be shooting within a few yards and ain't gonna care about a gritty trigger.

I recently decided to switch sidearms and it came down to Glock 19 or M&P 9 full size.  I went with the Glock simply because of magazines.  You can get them even in this climate for $25 all day long.  From my research it appeared the best you could do with the M&P was 35-40.  I think 44mag was recently, maybe still is, selling them for $90.  So that was a quick deal-breaker for me, with the M&P.

I got lucky/smart and ordered half a dozen M&P 40 mags from botachtactical when they were $19.95/ea with free shipping last year. SCORE!!

BTW Patrick, just loaded up 6 different trial batches with those 40 bullets you sent me.  I tried 2 loads each with Ramshot Zip, True Blue, and Silhouette powders.  We'll see how they shoot Saturday!

• Like 1

If you go from Glock to M&P the trigger is vastly different.

The reset is the biggest difference to me. 

I own a .40 and I like it. I'm just not used to the reset.

As far as function goes, it's ate EVERYTHING from Steel to reloads. 

I would buy another one if I found one cheap enough. 

I've had 4 M&P's plus the 9 Shield. Only one of the four required the Apex kit and that was the 45 c. My 9c's both have a good trigger w/o apex kit and 9 Shield is good.

I've owned many Glocks and the M&P has better ergonomic grip and better trigger. I still own one Glock 23 Gen3 RTF2 and three M&P's.

I own several M&P pistols and have had only one issue with any of them. One of my Shields required a little break-in period, about 200-250 rounds. I had multiple FTF and FTE events. Thought about sending it back to Smith, but decided to keep firing and see what happened.

FWIW, I'm cheap; I'd been running 115gr thru it. Switched over to some 124gr and a few mags of +P and it cleared right up. It is very accurate, has a good trigger for me, and I won't part with mine. It's a definite keeper.

I've got 3 M&Ps. I burned half a dozen mags through my shield to break it in as a carry gun, stuffed it in a holster, and clean it once in a while. My M&P 40 is the house gun. I shoot it once in a while but not very often. The trigger has zero creep in it after you take up the slack. My Pro 9 is what I use for practical pistol competition. The trigger was a bit creepy until I did a couple of hundred dry fires. Smooth as a baby's bottom now. Best investments I've made.