? for those who hunt with ARs

Couple of months ago I picked up a 458 Socom that I plan to hunt with some.  Currently it has a Magpul PRS stock.  It is a nice stock but just seems heavy.

I am wanting to reduce weight.  Any suggestions?  What furniture are yall using on your hunting ARs?

Couple of months ago I picked up a 458 Socom that I plan to hunt with some.  Currently it has a Magpul PRS stock.  It is a nice stock but just seems heavy.

I am wanting to reduce weight.  Any suggestions?  What furniture are yall using on your hunting ARs?

Don't worry about the weight! The deer will just fall over dead thinking about that beast going boom!
  • Like 2

The PRS stocks are pricey I would imagine you could probably trade that one for just about whatever you want.    I didn't realize just how heavy they were till i looked it up.  1.8 is pounds for the stock.   That's a full pound over most of the lighter options.    

I guess its really up to you in the end, but i wonder for your application of it would be better to deal with carrying the extra pound in the rear of the gun.  In theory it should improve overall balance of the rifle and reduce felt recoil(=faster follow up shots).  Really up to you in the end, but i would probably leave it as is until after the first hunt to see how much i liked or disliked it.

Recoil really does not bother me so I am not worried about reducing the weight.  I had not thought about what it would do to the balance of the gun.  The stock just seems a little fancy to be used as a hunting stock.  I think I will leave it for the time being and decide after I hunt with it if I want to change stocks.  Thanks for all the replys. 

I used the ACE stock on my first 458, then a standard A2 stock.  The last one I used was the fixed Rock River Arms operator stock.  Lightweight, great cheekweld, storage in the butt plate.

http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=540

Little pricey again but well worth it.

Got one on the LAR8 which I will be hunting with this year.

• Admin Team

I've got a CTR on my 10.5" .458 SOCOM right now.  It's light and fast to come on target.  Plus, as a bonus, you get a free Magpul tattoo with every shot!

It's not really that bad.  It's not like you're firing hundreds of rounds through it.

follow up question...anyone hunt with a .223 AR? I know there are restrictions (no Green Tip penetrator rounds), but what type of rounds can you use for deer? I figure if that is my survival rifle, I should use it to hunt wit occasionally...

Contrary to a lot of peoples opinions, AND mine up until 2 years ago, I use my AR in 5.56 with a 68 grain Speer Hollow point boat tail under 24.3 grains of powder, with no crimp. It's super accurate, and had dropped 9 deer out of 9 shots. The bullet holds together and expands, but the wound channel is almost as big as when I shot deer with my 7mm. The pressure it generates is crazy. I don't do head shots like some, simply because stuff happens and a single leaf could deflect the bullit just enough to become a maiming shot vs a kill shot.

Plus, I'm on a coyote thinning mission, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper to sling those vs the big rounds while hunting!
  • 3 weeks later...
I just yanked a prs stock off of 1 of mine and replaced it w an ace Arfx I had stashed.away. It took my rec 7 down to 7.5 lbs. I saw a few folks making carbon fiber rails that may shave more weight but that's about all I can think of to save weight for now..the prs is heavy though...but at the same time I wanted a lightweight non folder. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling. Edited by Dustbuster

follow up question...anyone hunt with a .223 AR? I know there are restrictions (no Green Tip penetrator rounds), but what type of rounds can you use for deer? I figure if that is my survival rifle, I should use it to hunt wit occasionally...

I don't know what the "Green Tip" penetrator round is. Is it FMJ? FMJ ammo is not permitted. That's the only restriction I'm aware of as far as ammo goes.

DaveS

The green tips I've seen are LAP (light aromer pircing).

OK  thanks. I've never run into that before. We had a GI get busted here last year for deer hunting with Tracer Rounds. He got hit hard on that deal!  

DaveS

WHAT?!?!? Geraldo says no one hunts with an AR.

So does every anti-gun pol, including the president.

Even though not to mention deer, it's probably the most widely used varmint rifle all over the country.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I had asked a similar question on google and an old post popped up from the ar15 web site and 1 person had commented that he had been very successful with using a 69 grain hollow point loaded light so obviously he was a reloader, but while out yesterday I found and bought a 69 grain hollow point at wally world.  Now mind you it was not cheap and hope to be able to crack of a successful round when the time comes and oh by the way it is 223. 

Ron

I had asked a similar question on google and an old post popped up from the ar15 web site and 1 person had commented that he had been very successful with using a 69 grain hollow point loaded light so obviously he was a reloader, but while out yesterday I found and bought a 69 grain hollow point at wally world.  Now mind you it was not cheap and hope to be able to crack of a successful round when the time comes and oh by the way it is 223. 

Ron

Isn't it still FMJ, though, like pic below?  Or does a FMJ hollowpoint make it technically no longer FMJ?

522299.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot