AR10

Links2k

I just bought a S&W M&P and like the 223 AR version, it is a good "for the price"  entry level, no frills but well made choice.  I have not shot many of these things so I can't say how it compares to others and I have not had it long enough to give a lot of commentary but I am well pleased with it.  

i think he means DPMS Panther

correct, unlike the AR 15, there 2, AR 10 patterns, DPMS and Armalite. and mags do not interchange. there may other parts that do not interchange but can not say.

like say you want a CMMG AR -10 check which mag it takes, if it says DPMS then it is a DPMS pattern rifle.

Edited by RWF

There are even two versions of the DPMS. There isn’t much standard in the AR10 world.

I have a DPMS 308 panther and have thought about the S&W M&P10. I have 5 different M&P’s now and need to add this to the family. But the barrel looks pretty thin in the pictures I have seen for 308. I haven’t held one in person though. I figure a heavy barrel and a quad rail will be next.

I know my next one will everything on it that I want; the cost of switching out 308 stuff is crazy.

I have a few dpms pattern rifles (2 of which are on the for sale page.... Shameless plug lol). The other pattern not mentioned is the rock river which isn't compatible with anything but fal mags.

If I was buying right now brand new I would get a DPMS SASS, unreal rifle for the money and will shoot right up there with custom rifles. If I was building I would probably just get ahold of GA precision and get a GAP-10, because I can vouch for the fact building will cost a fortune.

Some of the DPMS parts are interchangeable with Armalite, my Lothar-Walther barrel is made for Armalite and requires an Armalite rifle length gas tube (which is hard as heck to get and pricey for a gas tube).

Both will use aftermarket triggers (as long as it will pop a .308 primer and isn't so light that the recoil has you in full auto...ask me how I know about that.)

The three frontrunners are M&P10, DPMS Recon .308 and DPMS MK12. Thoughts?

Mk12 out of that group b5 stock much better than magpul. Not to mention the excellent jp trigger.

With that said, I don't recommend carbine stock .308s for several reasons all manufacturers think you can just put a carbine buffer and your good.... Not so way to much recoil, and issue with wear and tear on gun. If you get a carbine get one of these:

http://heavybuffers.com/ar10carbine.html

In my opinion they are very heavy rifles, don't try to make it something it isn't. Full stock with rifle buffer more pleasant to shoot.

Research the SASS, it's way more rifle than what it should cost.

I have a few dpms pattern rifles (2 of which are on the for sale page.... Shameless plug lol). The other pattern not mentioned is the rock river which isn't compatible with anything but fal mags.

Wow, just had to go there! :) so now are you talking US or metric? :) 

Wow, just had to go there! :) so now are you talking US or metric? :)

The Rock rivers are somewhere in between, lots of ar15 lower parts are interchangeable among all of the variants. The rock rivers are great rifles but share the least compatibility. Most compatible would have to be the sr25/dpms patterns thanks to magpul.

To further complicate things, Rock river purchased the pattern from Bushmaster (which is owned by the same company that owns dpms and remington). So if you look hard enough you can find rock river patterned bushmasters lol.

Dpms gets a bad rap (and some of it may be justifiable) on their ar15 stuff but their LR308 line is pretty solid.
DPMS uses standard ar15 triggers as well. So you have many more options to trigger upgrades down the road if you so choose to swap it out. DPMS also takes knights mags, pmags, DPMS mags, and I think one or two more. The SASS barrel is amazing. I put one in my MATEN build that I did and couldn't be happier. Was shooting at 550 yards the other day and was more than impressed, as well as the two others that shot it. It just seems the DPMS pattern has much more to offer than anyone else.

DPMS uses standard ar15 triggers as well. So you have many more options to trigger upgrades down the road if you so choose to swap it out. DPMS also takes knights mags, pmags, DPMS mags, and I think one or two more. The SASS barrel is amazing. I put one in my MATEN build that I did and couldn't be happier. Was shooting at 550 yards the other day and was more than impressed, as well as the two others that shot it. It just seems the DPMS pattern has much more to offer than anyone else.

I think if there was a way to total it up, DPMS probably makes and sells a lot more AR10's than anybody else. Going to the folks with the most experience isn't usually a bad idea.

I've never shot one, but did install a free float tube on one. I used a standard AR-15 barrel nut wrench. Lots of compatibility with the AR-15 where they could get away with it. That's a good thing if they don't have reliability/accuracy issues, or suffer from short component life.