Rand Paul Giving Up on Presidential Run?

To shook of left and right both, he praised Obama during call for fair drug offender legislation, and didn't seem to be tongue in cheek at all.  I was pretty shocked to hear it myself the other night.

Hopefully at least one of the links has the vid, I'm on dialup for few days so can't verify.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&ved=0CE0QFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.msnbc.msn.com%2Fthe-last-word%2F53048077&ei=mPs8Us2WBNWs4AOjxIDoDg&usg=AFQjCNHqg1eoFi5tM-ZY6FzNIcHsCPNYpA&bvm=bv.52434380,d.dmg

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mediaite.com%2Ftv%2Fwhy-did-odonnell-praise-rand-paul-for-making-politically-bravest-statement-of-the-day%2F&ei=mPs8Us2WBNWs4AOjxIDoDg&usg=AFQjCNFPkRmU8XfWSwIaoqkgXQf3uNq-1Q&bvm=bv.52434380,d.dmg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Yeah, he stuck his foot in his mouth on that one.  That is always one the risks you run when most of your job consists of running your mouth.  I guess we will see how bad this damages him, if it does at all.  I still think it is very premature to start talking about 2016 considering we still have to make through 2014.

I doubt Rand is throwing in the towel over this, Mac. That's something he has always been in favor of. Besides,

it is a piece of tripe story of wannabes who would be scared to death of Rand Paul. No one has announced

plans for 2016, yet. Hey, even Shumer has plans to get in the race.

Too early to scare off anyone. It won't hurt him, at all.

If I could find something Obama did that I thought was acceptable, yes, even I would praise him.

Edited by 6.8 AR

If I could find something Obama did that I thought was acceptable, yes, even I would praise him.

You listened to statement? Did I not have the right vids in links?

"What a tragedy if he had gone to prison….America would not have gotten to see Barack Obama as a leader", or close.

You'll be hearing that replayed A LOT if he runs.

- OS

Rand Paul and Obama are in agreement on the issue.   It would be more cause for concern if he was willing to change his positions just to take a pot shot at the sitting President.  I would put this much more in the "Rand Paul acting like an adult" column.

Edited by macistan
  • Like 1

You listened to statement? Did I not have the right vids in links?

"What a tragedy if he had gone to prison….America would not have gotten to see Barack Obama as a leader", or close.

You'll be hearing that replayed A LOT if he runs.

- OS

You're right, as far as the statement goes, but I doubt it will be remembered. There will be too many other things to

play that one line over and over. Yeh, pols do make mistakes, but he will undo his own damage, if he chooses to

make an official run. How will the Dems counter it? Will they, all of a sudden become the Law and Order, put 'em all

in jail party? It would be an interesting think tank discussion how Axelrod and the others make it. It won't be a "No

New Taxes" moment, like Bush Sr. made.

The Dems, after seeing who is on first, this time, will wage war on that candidate, then move on to the next until they

run out of money. I don't subscribe to the crazy cajun dem who thinks it is a lock for Dems in the future, unless Soros

and his electric tallying system is allowed to continue. We might have to return to paper ballots to kill that scheme, though.

electric tallying system is allowed to continue

I will go out on a limb and say that will not change,  maybe internet voting will happen someday but they will never go back to paper.

Not that I care really.  Dunno what will ever make me vote again.  My vote does not count.

Mark i honestly don't see any difference between the two.  they are in for themselves.  I really don't care who wins.  Sad isn't it?

Carr might go to DC with high hopes but give him a term or two and he will be like the rest.

they are all more equal than the rest of us.

• Like 2

Rand is a chip off the old block. He could have said the same about Clinton and G.W. Bush. The real tragedy is Obama did become president. I think it's still too early for 2016. Lets get next years election behind us. I will agree with the reporter on one point, Rand Paul will never be on a presidential ticket in the current Republican party.

How are they going to be able to use this statement against a candidate when things like this, done by executive

fiat will affect the entire population with drastically increasing electricity rates? Do you really think one statement

like that has that much mileage? In the political second of a political lifetime that it took Paul to say that, and who

disagrees with him, I wonder who will be the next non voter? 

I doubt it will affect much of anything.

Those carbon rules, which are not backed by any law, will cause Democrats to lose seats. Joe Manchin, for one,

isn't happy, at all. He isn't the only one to be worried when yours and my light bills "necessarily skyrocket". Even

if it doesn't change anything after 2014, there will be a mob of folks demanding a refund of their political check.

This isn't the first time Paul has taken a position or made a statement that is either antithetical to the Constitution or just plain stupid although I doubt it would hurt his chances in a run for president.  I really can't see how him getting the nomination or not is  going to depend on one stupid statement.

I just know I don't plan to support or vote for him.

Edited by RobertNashville

I'm more concerned about getting both houses of Congress than worrying about something Rand Paul said, anyway.

It's just too early in the presidential seasonal politics, right now. That coal mandate will hurt Democrats more than

this statement by Paul, if he feels any heat from it, at all.

The big picture that needs to be focused on, right now, is the senate. With the illegal coal/carbon mandates, it can cripple

Democrat's chances of holding the senate. Rightly so. Manchin and others are worried to death over this one.

when you have a president who thinks he can just go and restrict something he has no authority over without legislation,

you have Mr. Thompson and Mr. Wesley Mouch running the show. That is exactly what is happening, right now. I would

have gladly taken a Romney, or even a McCain over this.

I'm more concerned about getting both houses of Congress than worrying about something Rand Paul said, anyway.

It's just too early in the presidential seasonal politics, right now. That coal mandate will hurt Democrats more than

this statement by Paul, if he feels any heat from it, at all.

The big picture that needs to be focused on, right now, is the senate. With the illegal coal/carbon mandates, it can cripple

Democrat's chances of holding the senate. Rightly so. Manchin and others are worried to death over this one.

when you have a president who thinks he can just go and restrict something he has no authority over without legislation,

you have Mr. Thompson and Mr. Wesley Mouch running the show. That is exactly what is happening, right now. I would

have gladly taken a Romney, or even a McCain over this.

The Republican senators are worreid about it too...just an email from the NRSC (per Orin Hatch) asking for $$$ and I get phone calls almost weekly...the "party" nore any of its siblings will ever see a dime from me again and I sure as hell am not going to support the likes of Orin Hatch who shoudl have retired abotu 20 years ago!

Gosh , I really don't see anything Rand Paul said is not somewhat true as far as blacks being targeting more on drugs but the reason is blacks are doing more of it so easier to catch them at it so in all reality they will get caught more. Now if your referring to the statement about the world not getting to see Obama be President, if you stop and think about it for just a minute. That may have actually a deep shot at Obama to remind all Americans that Obama used hard drugs all during college and high school and he is just reminding folks of it to let them know they voted a drug addict into the White House. Who knows what those drugs did Obama's  brain cells. There are a couple ways to look at Pauls remarks. Negatively or positively I think he was just playing Obama style politics myself and just letting things slip out on purpose. Remember just the other day Kerry let a slip of the tongue bail Obama out of his red line and Syria problem child. Why couldn't Pauls slip for a positive down the road?...........jmho

Guest Lester Weevils
The war on drugs having worked about as good as nixon's war on cancer or johnson's war on poverty.

Of course we don't want hard core drug or alcohol abusers for prez or other positions of authority, but OTOH, this is only a speculation--

People who NEVER tried a taste of forbidden fruit, wonder if maybe they might be lacking in curiosity or an inquisitive nature? Not making criticism of such folk, and maybe lots of em have curiosity, but still-- It would be like reading about all the scientific experiments and taking them as gospel without replicating any of them?

The war on drugs having worked about as good as nixon's war on cancer or johnson's war on poverty.

Biggest waste of money this Government ever made!!!  We should have learned our lesson back during prohibition.  But there is too much money in it for all the different LE Organizations at the Federal, State and Local level for it to ever be allowed to just go away.  Their Lobbyists will see to that.  I hate Washington and I'm really starting to agree with Mike.357 on what my vote means, which is exactly squat.

• Like 1
Guest Bonedaddy

maybe Paul mispoke?   Maybe he is one of them. DC is full of them.

Ding, ding, ding!!!! We have the correct answer. No offense, Mike but I see nothin' but a fluff boy for those that would be king. Just another 'tard  (refer to previous discussion on TOS) with fantasical stories of amazement. I know of a few folks from Kentucky that would rather bury him than vote for him. Maybe, I'm wrong. We'll see.