Here is a dose of Big Brother you might not like...

Guest 6.8 AR

I honestly think we're going to see some unrest when this Obamcare thing really starts kicking in. Too many people too close to the edge and this isn't just a nudge it's a colossal push. Probably mostly isolated incidents but I can imagine some more organised efforts. Stay safe, people.

I was about to engage in a debate with you on what you stated, but then realized the futility of the exercise.  I will go bang my head against the wall elsewhere.  :)

I could say the same; but I won’t. You can’t overthrow our government because you don’t like who got elected. I doubt anyone here hates Obama more than I do, I think he is intentionally trying to do as much damage to this country as he can. But he was elected by the people.

We had a chance to get him out and we failed; the people spoke again. That’s why I’m curious how some of these people that want to see an overthrow will change our form of government. The people in office are just an indicator of a much bigger problem; the people that vote them in. You have an idea on how to fix that?

Have you or any of these people suggesting an overthrow thought about what that would be like? Of course you haven’t, or maybe you have and that’s why you know no one is going to do any more than talk about it on the internet. Our founding fathers revolted against a government that was in another country; it’s a little different when you are going to revolt against one of the most powerful governments on earth in their own country. The only way our government will be changed is at the polling booths, any other form of attack will be handled swiftly and decisively.

We will have another chance to clean house in 2014 and 2016. But for the White House my guess is that the Republicans will again be splitting votes with third party candidates that have no chance of winning and we will have another Democrat in the White House.

I could say the same; but I won’t. You can’t overthrow our government because you don’t like who got elected.

This is why I made that statement earlier Dave.  I will comment on it only because it was directed at me.  With all due respect Dave, I do, at times, question your reading comprehension.  On this thread, as well as many others, I have never suggested that we overthrow the government, or that it is even warranted, at this time.  I feel that it is very safe to say the same thing regarding some of the other major contributors in these threads, AR, JayC, Punisher, etc...  I will let them speak for themselves if I am in error, but I don't believe I am.  Granted, there are some that might chime in that armed resistance is what is needed now.  I usually dismiss such talk as frustration without thinking. 

I am certain that you despise Obama more than the rest of us; you have stated such numerous times.  That is good, but the problem isn't just Obama.  It is my contention, as well as many others, that Reid, Pelosi, Schumer, McCain, Graham, and many others are just as bad or dangerous as Obama.  I, like yourself, believe the correct course of action is through the voting booth.  By getting more people engaged in the political process we can fix this mess within a few election cycles.  Just look at the success of the Tea Party over the last several years.  We have some really good Republican congressmen, and senators like Cruz, Paul, Lee, and a few others are great.  They are what we have needed for a long time.  If we can get more people like those above elected to office, things might turn around rather quickly.

All that said, if we continue down the same course without any correction, as TMF and I talked about in another thread, we will eventually hit a threshold where we will have no political recourse to counter the rampant infringement of our rights.  At that time, utilization of other methods to secure our rights and liberties may become necessary.  If such a statement makes me a terrorist in your mind, then so be it. 

As a side note, I have never been in the military, and I have never experienced the theater of war.  I have never seen firsthand the brutality that always accompanies war.  However, I have read vivid accounts of what occurs in battle, and I also know what it would look like if it ever happened in this country.  Do I believe that armed resistance is the correct course of action at this time?  Do I hope for such action in the future if all other methods fail?  I don't know how I can be more clear than giving a resounding  HELL NO!

• Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils
Balkanization might show various paths. For instance at this very moment a few rural counties' "official governments" are going thru the motions of seceeding from california. Claiming that their interests no longer coincide with the urban regions of the state.

It would be "interesting times" if such movements become common. Seceeding from a state rather than seceeding from the union. Dunno if there is any USA history of such, though maybe long ago there were cases.
  • Moderators

Balkanization might show various paths. For instance at this very moment a few rural counties' "official governments" are going thru the motions of seceeding from california. Claiming that their interests no longer coincide with the urban regions of the state.

It would be "interesting times" if such movements become common. Seceeding from a state rather than seceeding from the union. Dunno if there is any USA history of such, though maybe long ago there were cases.

Does West Virginia count?

That's a tricky one as they seceded from Virginia (C.S.A) to rejoin the union.

I knew a guy from West Virginia that mentioned something about this and he said that even to this day West Virginia is not technically a state due to what went on back then and the legal procedure that was used, not sure of all the technical details. I think they still have some disputes over the border as well. Here is a link to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_West_Virginia, interestingly it mentions that several WV counties as late as 2011 were trying to bring about a vote to return as part of Virginia.