thompson center 50 caliber left loaded from last year

I just bought this rifle from a guy that left it loaded from last year. He said he was scared to try and unload it or shoot it.

I bought it from him cheap but now I'm not sure what to do with it. Should I try to fire it.

It's a inline model that uses 209 primers

You should be able to fire it.  Powder doesn't become more explosive over time.  I would put a primer in it and let it fly.  If it was damp at all it may not fire and be careful of a hang fire, but if it has been in a dry area, I don't think anything bad will happen.

I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express, so do so at your own peril, but seriously, I would probably just shoot it.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2

The only concern I would have is if he was an idiot and loaded it with a powder that would be unacceptable to use in a black powder rifle, like modern or smokeless powder.  I have shot guns that I had left loaded for close to two years without worry, but I knew with which powder they were loaded. 

I've fired mine after being loaded for a year, and probably for two-three years with no problem. Sometimes you need to remove the nipple and put a bit of powder in the hole and reinstall the nipple before you can get it to fire.

Unless I suspected he loaded it with smokeless powder, I'd probably shoot it. If I wasn't comfortable with that, I'd pull the bullet. If you don't have a bullet puller, you should buy one assuming you are going to keep the muzzleloader. You'll need it sooner or later.

I am new to the inline models. It does have a breech plug. The guy I got it from said his son left it loaded and not sure what it's loaded with.

I think I will try to pull it out. I might try the string on a bench too.

If it has the breech plug, then pull the plug out and shove the rest out the back end with the ram-rod/jag.  That's what I do on my T/C Encore ML.

Blow the crumbs / powder out with an air hose, then wash & clean as normal (it probably needs it anyway).

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 2
  • 2 years later...

I believe everyone has left a m/l loaded either on purpose or accidently.    Not a good practice eithe way.   I own 3-4 TC muzzleloaders and if you have the model name I may be of some help.  Some older inlines did not have a removable breech plug......  If the entire breech opens and you have access clean it out form the back and take a fiberglass or aluminum rod and tap it out ...using a hammer and light taps...till it falls out in the breech area.   If it doesnt have a removable plug.....use a bullet puller .  I didnt read all 17 replies  , so if anyone gave you the same advise........thanks to them...