Need a little info on this ol' S&W

glowdotGlock

My dad has an old S&W .38 special. It says "CTG" on the barrel. I'm not even sure of the model. Mabel a 10? From the serial # (S 888341) as far as I can see it is a 1952. Does anyone know a little info on this gun and is it even somewhat collectable and what the ballpark worth is? He would never sell it but just curious. Been tucked in his closet for years. Thanks for any info.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Interesting.
With that serial number with an “S” prefix it is a 1945-1948 M&P. But that would make it Post war. Since it is stamped “Made in USA” that makes it a pre-war; unless the other side has the full 4 line S&W markings.

To be a 1952 S series it would have to be an “N frame”. That doesn't look like an N-frame; is it that big?

• Like 2
I didn't look inside the frame. I have since left his house and got back home. But as far as comparing it in pictures I believe too it is a 10. I figured it was a common gun. It is in pretty good shape. I had forgotten about it. I was showing my father some polishing I had done on a recently aquired gp100 and we got on the topic of his old wheelgun and went and got it out. I will be in the market soon for some .38 special ammo so him and I can go out and have a father and son day shooting.

Interesting.
With that serial number with an “S” prefix it is a 1945-1948 M&P. But that would make it Post war. Since it is stamped “Made in USA” that makes it a pre-war; unless the other side has the full 4 line S&W markings.

To be a 1952 S series it would have to be an “N frame”. That doesn't look like an N-frame; is it that big?

It isn't very big. I should have put my gp100 next to the pic for scale.

Definitely a pre-model 10 postwar manufactured M&P.  The frame could be actual war-time production, thus the Made in USA instead of 4 line Marcas Registradas.  They made many of these during the war for military use and had a lot of frames left over at the end.

• Like 1

I think it's a model 10 made before the model designation was stamped in the crane... As others have opined; i think it is a post-war (...post 1946...) because of the smaller knurled end on the ejector rod... As i remember, the pre-wars were a bigger diameter nob... The knurling looks to be the same size as the ejector rod... The "s" stamp intrigued me.... I found this on another forum, and it makes sense to me:

Short-action/narrow sear Military & Police .38's didn't come about until February 1948. Post-war, long-action M&P production (with the new hammer block) started in September 1945 and continued for a short time after the short-action was introduced. Post-war / long action .38 M&P revolvers have serial numbers that have an "S" prefix that started at S 811,120

I have never seen one, but it is possible that to complete some of the long-action .38's they made some long-action hammers to take the then current narrow sear. If so, Roy Jinks would know. Then at a later date, it is possible that someone replaced the original hammer in your gun and in its place installed a long-action/narrow sear one. I can't see any other way to explain it.

It is part of a post from here: http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-383236.html

Ya need to check the Roy Jinks book to get the "real story"; but i would bet the above is it....  The "s" prefix serial numbers are usually found on large frame smiths (....the "N" frame used to be an "S" frame....)....

Hope this helps... By the way, i love these old smiths too...

leroy

• Like 1

I'm thinking the "Made in USA" is correct for this specimen based on some Googling around.  The Standard Catalog may not be entirely accurate in it's description Dave.

Oh, I’m not saying it’s not correct. I’m just saying that it almost had to be built during the frame marking transition and might be an oddity or rarity.

Ya'll have me intrigued now. I may get it from he later today and do a little more research and take some more pics. Thank you. I knew ya'll would know how to get the ball rolling. I said he would never sell it but if it turned out to be worth a few hundred he may. It's not sentimental or passed down. He just bought it one day about 25 years ago.

".38 Military & Police (Postwar) -- "Pre-Model 10"

Caliber: .38 S&W Special.  Double-action revolver built on the square butt K frame with five screws.  A continuation of the previous model without the "V" serial prefix or the lanyard ring.  A contemporary source indicates the "S" prefix poswar guns began as early as Dec. 27, 1944 at around serial number S769000.  Others report Sept. 1945 beginning at S811120.  It's reported that at S990184, Apr. 7, 1948, the new short throw hammer action was introduced, becoming the now familiar Model 10 in 1957"

-- Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, 3rd Edition, 2006

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...