Ted Cruz just ran out the clock!!!

Its not that at all.   I agree with him, but, look at it twice.

If he wins:

-he has strengthened the idea that the law of the land can be ignored by those in power.  That is already a serious problem with our government, but we don't need MORE of it.   Like it or not Obamacare was voted into law, signed off by the executive, and even contested and won in the supreme court.  Defunding it now comes across as sore loser and dirty fighter. 

- his fight does not address the problem.  If he wins, and we extend our borrowing after defunding Obamacare, then we ARE STILL INCREASING DEBT.   So conservatives LOSE the fight here regardless.

- If he wins,  conservatives take the blame for the failure of Obamacare.  "it never had a chance because it was illegally defunded" type whines from the left.  If he wins, conservatives will lose more and more of the "middle of the road" voters.  The party is rapidly losing ground with moderates and this is not helping.  Obamacare WILL fail on its own -- but it has to do that.  If it is forced down by conservatives, the point is not made clearly to the liberals. 

- if he wins, you can bet the next time conservatives are in power (if ever) that these tactics will be seen again...... 

and if he loses, he just makes conservatives (or at least himself) look idiotic to anyone who is not already in his camp.   Which is the likely outcome -- same as every other govt shutdown, everyone caves in at the last second and we do it again in 6 months.

I would LOVE to see it implemented and allow it to expose itself as the BS job killing, healthcare slaughtering monster it is... BUT How many families and businesses are we willing to allow be destroyed in order to say "I told you so, stupid democrats" ? This law, once implemented, will be next to impossible to come back from. It won't be so simple as to say "Ha told you it wouldn't work, now lets go back to the old way" All businesses will have dropped coverage or switched over to the new ways, everything in the medical profession will be damaged to the point that we will be stuck with bottom of the barrel physicians and will take YEARS to get potential med students to trust that we won't change direction on them after they have racked up huge student loans and make it impossible for them to pay back, Insurance companies will dry up quickly leaving no one to provide the insurance once the law is repealed... It has taken many lifetimes to get them all to where they're at now so what makes anyone think that we could regain control of the house and senate, overturn the law and then everything will just go back to the way it was before?

I agree this is not the most ideal way of handling the issue but at this point it is the ONLY way to stop it.

well one thing that Obama care needs more than anything is to get young healthy people between 20 and 30 to sign onto the program. He needs at least 3.5 million young people or the program won't have the funding it needs. If I was 25 and healthy I would not buy it and I have a feeling that he is going to see that happen more than he thinks it will. And he has that perk in it that allows kids to stay on the parents health care program to age 26. Thing is most young people have not and are not on their parents insurance once they leave the nest. Also if anyone is really paying attention thousands of parents that had health care are getting letters from their existing insurance companies telling them that they will not be renewing their policies when they come do unless they want to pay triple the premiums rates they had previously and most people won't have policies to keep their children on. I cannot wait to see how this train wreck really turns out when it all come to a screeching halt and the people turn on Obama and all of his lies about this program.  All of these promises of being able to keep your doctor and your present plan is going down the drains faster than the flood waters flowing in Colorado...........jmho.

Edited by bersaguy
The notion that laws that have been passed MUST be funded is a canard. The Congress has chosen not to fund plenty of Laws through out the years - this would not be the first time such a tactic has been tried. Don't let the lefties fool you into thinking this. Congress has the power of the purse precisely so that unpopular laws and projects must constantly be reconsidered by the current Congress. Thus no Congress can really pass any law that another congress can't refuse to fund or change through a new Act. Edited by Hershmeister
  • Like 2
Guest Bassman17SC

Law of the land?  This crap sandwich of a bill was passed by trickery and the current Administration has been issuing wavers to their buddies like candy on Halloween.  Furthermore, the Administration is picking and choosing which parts of Obamacare to enact and when to do so (in direct contradiction to the bill itself).  Law of the land?  Hmph!

To the topic at hand: Senator Cruz is the conservative I've been waiting for since Ronald Reagan.

If Reid sends that bill back to the House with Obamacare still funded, and the House sticks to their guns and sends it

back again, don't tell me the senate and Obama won't be held accountable. The exact reason we got the House back

was Obamacare. Even if Boehner wusses out completely, and pushes for it to remain, the government could be in a

temporary shutdown.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the ACA is funded by funny money, Mike. They can't even get those pools up and running

right now. If it is able to remain and start to run, it will probably implode, but that also could spell doom to the republic

because Obama will not let this thing drop. His delusional mind won't even consider it, but the public, when they find out

how much money it will cost even the subsidized insurance may rebel against him.

Ted Cruz did something that few other senators could: He got the message out to all in both parties. Either do what you

say, what you campaigned on, or get out of the way, very politely. He set the tone for challengers in every senate race

that needs one. So you people who just want to vote everyone out of office, don't be moving to Texas any time soon,

unless you are going to do something about John Cornyn. He was one of the betrayers who went after Cruz.

I think Ted Cruz is what some of those old bastards try to think of themselves, and they're not: Statesman!

I'm looking forward to the 2014 race, now, more than ever.

Phil Valentine just coined a new phrase for anyone in the Republican Party who didn't like his filibuster: Hispanophobe!

Kinda fitting since the Republican Party wants so much to embrace the hispanic vote, yet throws one under the bus.

Bunch of damned hypocrites.

Guest ThePunisher
For Cruz to be in the Senate only eight months, he has proven that he is more of a statesman than all the phonies that have been in Congress twenty, thirty or even forty years. King Obama never displayed any statesmanship during his four years in the Senate other than kiss the liberal butts and follow orders from Harry Reid. His fame to claim was a telepromter speech at the Democratic convention in 2004 written by some commie liberal. Edited by ThePunisher

You have to know how to speak without a teleprompter. That means you have to have substance over style. In the case

of Obama, style is all he has. He is a lousy speaker. I could do better than him, and I've been a lousy speaker all of my life.

Guest ThePunisher

You have to know how to speak without a teleprompter. That means you have to have substance over style. In the case
of Obama, style is all he has. He is a lousy speaker. I could do better than him, and I've been a lousy speaker all of my life.

I would be cheering for you in a debate against Obama, and I could even vote for you. Something you might want to consider. We need more American patriots in DC or even in Nashville.

Well you are 100% right on the Teleprompter because I remember one day that it went down just as he was about to make a short speech and he put his #12 foot so far in his mouth about 4 times that I thought the crowd was going to begin throwing their shoes at him. That was the day he made that infamous statement     "if you have a small business you didn't build that"  Talk about a blunder, that was an earthquake and they gave him the hook and got him out of there right after he said that when he began to try and tell folks why they didn't build it.......... :rant: :rant: :puke:

And no one remembers Sarah Palin's acceptance speech
at the RNC convention. The teleprompter did quit on her.
It was a great speech, also. And before anyone starts
dumping on her, she is the last one who energized anyone
in the Republican base.

And no one remembers Sarah Palin's acceptance speech
at the RNC convention. The teleprompter did quit on her.
It was a great speech, also. And before anyone starts
dumping on her, she is the last one who energized anyone
in the Republican base.

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly.  I honestly think that if it wasn't for Sarah Palin, the Republican party would be dead.  They would be as useful as a poopie-flavored lollipop.

.... They can't even get those pools up and running

right now.

The exchanges open Tuesday, whether the ACA clause in continuing resolution is in there or not. Money already spent, money already allocated to the states who are handling it themselves and to the fed's exchange for those that opted out. Ongoing money for the whole shebang unaffected by the "defunding" in the CR except possibly for IT contract labor and things of that nature budgeted yearly on the non-discretionary spending.

The brunt of the ACA is not part of this debate at all. It won't stop it any more than it could stop Social Security or Medicare.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

How is he losing? He is one man making the message available to the American public, and is doing wonderfully.
He is moving a mountain, one shovel at a time. If you can't get behind this, what can you get behind?

This. He knows he can't stop it with the votes needed. He's raising awareness, and making sure everyone knows about it. The Dems stand a high potential of carrying ACA on their backs in the midterms next year, and Cruz, Paul, Lee, etc. know that too. The abject failure of Obamacare will be evident in due time.
  • Like 1

So what, exactly, did Cruz accomplish with this lengthy speech?

Made more of a name for himself, pleased the far right base, alienated more than he attracted, as did Rand with his own previous "'buster".

Polls aren't showing favorable for this entire "hostage" action on the part of the House either. 'Course, with like a ~10% favorable rating on the Congress overall, doesn't much matter I guess.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest ThePunisher

Made more of a name for himself, pleased the far right base, alienated more than he attracted, as did Rand with his own previous "'buster".

Polls aren't showing favorable for this entire "hostage" action on the part of the House either. 'Course, with like a ~10% favorable rating on the Congress overall, doesn't much matter I guess.

- OS

Umm, I guess the country is going to hell in a hand basket!

- OS

I want to see the polls when everybody figures out he was right about Obamacare. It's coming, sooner or later.

I want to see the polls when everybody figures out he was right about Obamacare. It's coming, sooner or later.

I think the main point is that the folks are sick of watching Congress pull all these esoteric parliamentary hijinks at the 11th hour instead of just tackling problems in a straightforward way with at least a modicum of foresight.

- OS

• Like 2

I think the main point is that the folks are sick of watching Congress pull all these esoteric parliamentary hijinks at the 11th hour instead of just tackling problems in a straightforward way with at least a modicum of foresight.

- OS

Yes, well, I suppose "you've got to pass it before you see it' will live in the annals of political stupidity forever.

That said, I don't see anything wrong with a Repub/Tea Party Member playing a little 'Snooker' with the system...........whether it be for the cause of 'general goodness' for the American People, or his own ambitions.

It's well on record now, if it wasn't before, where he, and others, stand.

If ACA fails miserably, which I anticipate,  (I'm in the health care business) then it's a very classic 'You made your cake, now you eat it' scenario.

I think that's what mainstream Repubs are missing-  they don't see the point of spending the time against it, because, as McCain said today, he doesn't like it, but they don't have the votes to do anything.

I say, screw the votes.  Let it come down. It's gonna hurt a lot of people, which I don't like, but it will be duly noted who caused the mess.

As I mentioned, this is on the Dem's 'rap sheet' next year. And in 2016.

I would be happy if someone would just go ahead and filibuster the House and/or Senate continuously until Election Day 2014. A grid-locked and shutdown government is preferable to one that enacts legislation that destroys the country IMO. I can't speak for the rest of the country, but Ted Cruz has earned my respect.
  • Like 2

Yes, well, I suppose "you've got to pass it before you see it' will live in the annals of political stupidity forever.

That said, I don't see anything wrong with a Repub/Tea Party Member playing a little 'Snooker' with the system...........whether it be for the cause of 'general goodness' for the American People, or his own ambitions.
It's well on record now, if it wasn't before, where he, and others, stand.

If ACA fails miserably, which I anticipate,  (I'm in the health care business) then it's a very classic 'You made your cake, now you eat it' scenario.

I think that's what mainstream Repubs are missing-  they don't see the point of spending the time against it, because, as McCain said today, he doesn't like it, but they don't have the votes to do anything.

I say, screw the votes.  Let it come down. It's gonna hurt a lot of people, which I don't like, but it will be duly noted who caused the mess.

As I mentioned, this is on the Dem's 'rap sheet' next year. And in 2016.

I think it was designed to fail. That way, when people are hurting the most, the government can swoop in and "fix" it with a single-payer system. It's what they really wanted in the first place anyway.
  • Like 1