SOCOM 16

DannyP

I have the chance to grab a brand new one for $1300, I'm on the fence about pulling the trigger. That's a good price for one and I've wanted one for a while. Just need some positive reinforcement lol. I wanted the 18 inch version but there shouldn't be a big difference between them right?

Danny

I have the chance to grab a brand new one for $1300, I'm on the fence about pulling the trigger. That's a good price for one and I've wanted one for a while. Just need some positive reinforcement lol. I wanted the 18 inch version but there shouldn't be a big difference between them right?

Danny

If your anything like me you wont be happy settling. If you want the 18" Id just wait it out. Otherwise you'll buy the 16" then end up trying to sell it when you find an 18. If I wanted an 18 I would keep an eye on this. http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/50220/c/semi-auto-rifles/brand/SPRINGFIELD

They have been getting all models in with decent regularity. I know because I'm wanting a standard so bad it hurts.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

I don't NEED one of those but I sure do WANT one...

Looks like my immediate fun-gun funds are going to be tied up learning how to build TGO-15's...

DannyP don't forget to post pics of whatever you get so I can hate on you just a bit.

Mark

DannyP, that's an excellent price on a 16 inch M1A.  Nothing wrong with a SOCOM in performance either.  Yep, very loud but a great shooter on anything inside of 200 yards.  Mine is the Go-To for coyotes and quick running 2 liter bottles!  In fact, I am selling a couple more rifles soon and i'd be hard pressed to sell the SOCOM.  Best performance I've seen with mine was from some Russian ammo.  I asked and found out their powders burn quicker.  I suppose because AKs have shorter barrels, maybe...  Live and learn, right? 

By the way, the only proprietary part on your SOCOM is the gas lock/brake.  The brake is the gas lock instead of having two separate components.  The gas piston is the same as every other M14 out there but the barrel's port is a bit larger.  Nothing extravagant just different.  Don't hesitate to go shoot and enjoy it. 

Congrats on your score!!  :up: 

Very good price on a great gun.

+1. I know because I have one. A Socom commands respect as a CQB rifle. If you want to reach out further than 200 then you might consider the Scout. But I bet it will be hard to find one near the $1300. Good Luck

Don't think for a minute the SOCOM won't reach out to 500 yards and beyond.  Mine shot right around 1.5 MOA with decent ammo.  Match grade tightened up a little.  168 Gr SMK's over 46 Varget will get around 2600 FPS out of a 16 inch barrel.  You would need some sort of scope for precision work.  The front blade sight has a tritium insert, which is nifty, but it is on the thick side. 

• Like 1