Gon into an argument

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got into an arguement with someone today over carry in hospital, Kept telling me a hospital was a federal building.

Can you believe that? Also told me you can't carry in a bank.:D

I always carry in the bank. Did you tell him or her, that Little Bo Peep was looking for them.

Got into an arguement with someone today over carry in hospital, Kept telling me a hospital was a federal building.

Yes, I can believe it. Ignorance is very common. I had a security guard tell me last year that I couldn't carry in the Liquor Store. I informed him the law was amended to clarify/change it back in 2001 and that he should know the law before he quotes it. Needless to say, I made my purchase and left quickly as I surely pissed him off. I alos had a police officer say during Mom's Carry Permit traing course that it was illegal to carry in a convenience or grocery store that sold beer. To his defense, the paperwork and video they use are way out of date.

Guest sermon8r

If he was a customer i hope you sold him a Stealth keypad...

Clearly she was thinking of Federal Savings and Loan of Niota when talking about banks being "Federal."

Shoot that's still not a federal building just because they have federal in their name, no he was just speaking about banks in general.

If he was a customer i hope you sold him a Stealth keypad...

Is that one of those you can't find.:rolleyes:

Guest Phantom6

Sounds like my idiot brother-in-law. He thinks he is a government employee because the truck he drives for the gas company has a govt. tag on it (the Oak Ridge Utility District which, is a private independent non-profit utility with its own Charter granted by the State of Tennessee in 1951) and they have a federal credit union. :wall:

Every time he starts up with that line of crap I just have to get up and leave because arguing with him is like fighting with an unarmed man.

and they cost 1000.00

That's crazy, if you need one get me a part #, I'm sure it's not really that much.

Sounds like my idiot brother-in-law. He thinks he is a government employee because the truck he drives for the gas company has a govt. tag on it (the Oak Ridge Utility District which, is a private independent non-profit utility with its own Charter granted by the State of Tennessee in 1951) and they have a federal credit union. :wall:

Every time he starts up with that line of crap I just have to get up and leave because arguing with him is like fighting with an unarmed man.

Same type mentality.

• 2 weeks later...

I opened an account for a CD the other day at a local bank....sat in the branch manager's office to fill out the paperwork for a new account and she noticed my carry permit in my wallet right next to my DL. She smiles real big and says "Glad to see THAT.....got your weapon on you now ?".....I said yep....she says "Me too.....I think EVERYBODY ought to carry when they leave the house".....and we proceeded to discuss the pros and cons of revolvers over autos.........great little gal. If I didn't have a wonderful 'permit carrying' wife of 38 years at home, I'd have been tempted to ask her out.....ahahahahaaaaaaa

I alos had a police officer say during Mom's Carry Permit traing course that it was illegal to carry in a convenience or grocery store that sold beer. To his defense, the paperwork and video they use are way out of date.

Umm, no, there is no defense. If he is a certified HCP instructor he is supposed to know the changes in the POS video.

2 things here.

1. Any Instructor who doesn't teach the correct information should have their license pulled until they learn the proper laws. and

2. I almost got fired from my job doing Hospital Security when I was doing training because I argued with the Director of the entire system about carrying in a hospital. He thought it was illegal because it was in the handbook for employees. I said and quote "You cannot charge someone with going armed unless you have the property posted or you ask them to leave and they refuse, even then it's only Criminal Trespass." He told me he would not be corrected by a trainee.

I then told him where I worked and what I had done for the past 2 years and showed him the actual laws. He didn't talk to me much after that...

OH BTW.. I never told him what proper signs meant either :koolaid:

I was in a local First Tennessee Bank Friday talking with the branch manager who is a friend of 2 of my sons. He just applied for his permit. I had been after him to get his app in since I knew he had taken the course. (2 days left until his 6 months expired from the course.)

The Wackenhut security guard heard us talking and came over. First Tennessee does not allow their employees to carry in the branch according to the manager. The security guard goes on to tell us that no one can legally carry in the bank. I tell him I am carrying and he tells me I am breaking the law by carrying in a bank. I tell him that he should go back and study his laws because he is mistaken. The manager tells him he knows of several of his customers that carry in the bank. The security guard goes on to say that they are all breaking the law.

The manager proceeds to get on his computer and try to show the Tennessee laws to the guard to no avail. He just doesn't believe it.

Some people's minds just can't be changed even when you show them the proof.

Guest Phantom6
2 things here.

1. Any Instructor who doesn't teach the correct information should have their license pulled until they learn the proper laws.

+1

I answer my phone or open my email accounts several times a week, nearly every week, to have some poor individual tell me that they took a HCP course somewhere else the prior weekend and ask if it is true that you can't carry in a convenience store, grocery store, Wal-Mart, etc. that sells beer. This problem certainly begins with the outdated information on the video but is perpetuated by the lazyness or ignorance of the instructors. The lesson plan calls for a discussion period and Q&A session after the video. If the question is never asked by a student which I find very, very hard to believe it is lazyness. If they simply quote the video it is ignorance. Either way it is wrong and something needs to be done about it.

Tennessee has over 1,100 firearms dealers. Roughly half of these either have instructors or regularly refer customers to instructors so that tells you that there's a lot of instructors out there. The DOS is sending inspectors around the state to check up on schools that they receive complaints about but they are primarily concerned with "instructors" (and I use the term instructors with gritted teeth) that are defrauding their students and the state by simply short-cutting the lesson plans all together.

I keep the DOS HCP office number on my cellphone and written on my calendar at the shop and suggest to these callers and emailers that if they feel they did not receive proper instruction that they should call 866.849.3548 which is of course toll-free or 615.253.5221 if they are in the Nashville area and file a complaint.

[/rant]

• 4 months later...
Guest cyberglock21

Can you believe that? Also told me you can't carry in a bank.:mad:

A couple times when I am not carrying (left in car) I asked in two seperate places thier policy on carry since they have no sign on the door.... Kinda testing the waters of the employee/manager knowledge - Too see if they know the law... One was Kroger in Atoka. They said sure, as long as you have a valid permit. The other was Walgreens in Munford. And oh boy I opened a can of worms. I asked the policy to the manager on duty (who was with another woman employee) and the manager had no clue. SHe said, no one ever asked that..... I think it's ok as long as you don't plan on using it, I know police carry guns in here.... I think it's ok.... well maybe not..... Then the other woman who looked older took her glasses off and looking very serious said.... The question should be, why do you think you need a gun in here?... Do you plan on using it?... I didn't even say I had one or a gun for that matter... Oh boy, I saw the signs, said thanks.... I was just curious about your policy.... Excused myself and checked out and left. I saw a argument of ignorance starting so I bailed. The reason, they have no clue on HCP.

I decided after that, I'll never strike up a conversation asking policy of a store again. If I don't see a sign and it's legal to carry, I will.

i had a tn. state trooper and a county mounty tell me that i couldnt carry in a bank and or open carry about a year ago. told the trooper i would prove him wrong. got it in writing and he refused to return my call. ps he didnt write me a traffic ticket which i did deserve though.

Can you believe that? Also told me you can't carry in a bank.:screwy:

This is the exact type of stuff that just chaps my ass !!!!!! People who get misinformation from the internet, or some misinformed source, or "they said" .........and then just WILL NOT be convinced otherwise. :mad:

Every class..........

(That one) student........."I know you can't carry in a bank or church, but...."

(Me) "Let me interrupt you briefly....you certainly can carry in a bank or a church, as long as it's not posted."

(Student) "No, my brother-in-law's uncle used to live next door to a guy whose nephew went through the first 6 weeks of the Iowa Game Warden school before he blew his knee out and he said :blah::blah::blah:......................"

(Me) :grouchy::bored: wishing I could :stick:

Fortunately, the rest of the students usually recognize this for what it is and they are :rolleyes: